• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of becoming a pharmacist.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nearly all my peers are in pharmacy school right now. My oldest cousin is in his last year of pharmacy school. One of my good friends 3x brothers and sister are in the same pharmacy school, they all car pool together to school. So in 5 years...I'll literally know all the Asian pharmacist around here...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I know this is terribly unfair, but I always thought of a pharmacist as someone who looks at a piece of paper, goes back to a shelf and gets what's written on the paper ... and that's basically it.

What do they actually do? They aren't mixing drugs back there anymore, right?

Granted, reading doctors' handwriting is a skill in itself.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any job that enables you to cook up your own medicine(whatever it may be) is pretty good in my book.

wait a minute, perhaps I need to look into taking over some micro brewery
smile.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to go wilderness camping with a friend who is a pharmacist. His sample case made for some interesting evenings sitting around the campfire!

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I know this is terribly unfair, but I always thought of a pharmacist as someone who looks at a piece of paper, goes back to a shelf and gets what's written on the paper ... and that's basically it.

You know what, I've wondered the same thing myself.

I guess they do act as a safeguard against doctors' mistakes though. Perhaps the doc wrote for the wrong dosage or there is a potential interaction with existing meds.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty sure the U of Minnesota would offer such courses, hopefully.

thebeatblitz

Reaction score

In a retail outlet, the pharm techs will do most of the scutwork; the pharmacist just supervises. On the other hand, clinical PharmD's know just about every drug interaction in the history of the universe and are a great asset.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They check for drug interactions. They make sure doctors didn't make a mistake in dosages. They argue with insurance companies to make sure patients get coverage. They counsel patients on appropriate ways to take the medication. They counsel doctors on what medications are best for certain patients.

Also, for example, my wife works at a compounding pharmacy. They have a lab on site where they mix the drugs. Huge business for kids, pets, and the elderly, who often need compounded meds.

Also, don't know about other states, but in NJ, you now need a PharmD even to work in retail.

ashlinn82

Reaction score
Seriously, pursue this if you're even remotely interested in it -- the money from a pharmacist salary is one of the best coming out of school (yes, U of Minnesota's a good choice if you're nearby)...I like it, although some days are long filling scripts, and most of my friends enjoy it too.

Best of luck,

Ashley

Gotham

Reaction score
Good albeit boring job with good pay. Stout but not stellar pay at an early age (<25) is what makes it pretty damn good if you factor in compounding interest. My friend's dad is a pharmacist with a store in the ghetto with little penetration by CVS/Walgreens and he clears alot of bank each year.

Makes much more sense than becoming a pediatrician or doing primary care from a MD point of view. Better off than going to **** name law/B school and having no job.

if I had kids that weren't the brightest bulb, Id encourage them to go pharamacy.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gotham
if I had kids that weren't the brightest bulb, Id encourage them to go pharamacy.
Sounds good.

Benzito

Reaction score

For a hundred large a year, I'd do that all day long.

I never fully understood the expectation some people have that work should be "fun" and pay well. Usually, and except for professional athletes and celebrities, the shittier the job, the more it pays. Take the money and buy something you enjoy.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
For a hundred large a year, I'd do that all day long.

I never fully understood the expectation some people have that work should be "fun" and pay well. Usually, and except for professional athletes and celebrities, the shittier the job, the more it pays. Take the money and buy something you enjoy.

Like booze. It will make the work day go by faster.

Benzito

Reaction score
Yeah, and being around those drugs all day . . . they understand the concept of "leakage," don't they?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads