Thinking about purchasing a Classic Barbour Beaufort

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lowndes, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Lowndes

Lowndes Senior member

I am thinking about getting a classic Barbour Beaufort in Blue. The primary use of this jacket will be during the cool and wetter season out here in San Francisco as I finish up my last year of law school. After that my wife and I are moving to NYC next year and I will use the jacket as my go to coat for weekend/evening wear when we are walking around the city or taking trips away from the city in Fall/Winter/Early Spring.

Can anybody who owns a Classic Beaufort comment on how useful they find the jacket for these types of purposes? Is there any jacket that looks similar to the Classic Beaufort that I should be considering over it?

Also, I am curious as to general comments on fit. I weigh 190 and am 6'2" and wear a size 42 suit. I am going to order the coat online with a good return policy but just plan on ordering in my usual coat size of 42. Does this sound correct? I really won't wear the jacket over a suit or sport coat. Probably just a sweater and the like. Thanks in advance for all of the help. Hope everyone had a terrific weekend.

2. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I find the Beaufort wide in the body in comparison to the sleeve length. If you have short or normal length sleeves, get the size you'd normally wear a suit jacket in. As far as usefulness, the high pocket count including inner netted pockets make carrying a bag obsolete.

3. July

July Well-Known Member

I have it in green. It's perfect for Autumn/Winter days in San Francisco. The relatively boxy cut begets layering. I chose to size down. The arms are articulated, so it doesn't feel like a straight jacket even when you wear it snug.

4. stant62

stant62 Senior member

It is definitely a boxy cut, but I love the versatility!

5. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

I am thinking about getting a classic Barbour Beaufort in Blue. The primary use of this jacket will be during the cool and wetter season out here in San Francisco as I finish up my last year of law school. After that my wife and I are moving to NYC next year and I will use the jacket as my go to coat for weekend/evening wear when we are walking around the city or taking trips away from the city in Fall/Winter/Early Spring.

Can anybody who owns a Classic Beaufort comment on how useful they find the jacket for these types of purposes? Is there any jacket that looks similar to the Classic Beaufort that I should be considering over it?

Also, I am curious as to general comments on fit. I weigh 190 and am 6'2" and wear a size 42 suit. I am going to order the coat online with a good return policy but just plan on ordering in my usual coat size of 42. Does this sound correct? I really won't wear the jacket over a suit or sport coat. Probably just a sweater and the like. Thanks in advance for all of the help. Hope everyone had a terrific weekend.

Both Orvis and The Hound in downtown SF carry the Beaufort. You can go check out the fit. I was almost ready to buy from the Hound and pay full retail until the salesman left abruptly to greet another customer without even excusing himself. So I felt absolutely no guilt by ordering on-line and getting a discount to boot. BTW, I wear a 40 suit and bought the 40 beaufort.

6. Low Budget

Low Budget Well-Known Member

If boxiness is an issue, go for the contemporary Beaufort, which is much slimmer than the classic.

7. The Swede

The Swede Senior member

The size fitting my body is too short in the arms. Fortunatley Barbour offers lengthening, repairs, and waxing. The cost is not that high but the wait can be annoying, 4-8 weeks here in Stockholm.

8. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I own a Classic Beaufort; it is perfect for Midwest weather conditions in October-November-early December. I wear a size 38, and I find the coat to be very roomy. Which is perfect for a sweater. Personally, I believe it to be a wise investment. It is a coat that will last a lifetime.

9. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

I think the Classic one is made from artificial materials. I would buy the one that does not say 'classic' as that is made from proper waxed cotton.

10. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Is there anyway one would be able to re-wax it themselves?

11. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

I bought the Featherweight version in the Contemporary fit and love it

it's cut much less boxy than the regular and seems to breathe a lot better, too

definitely compare them before buyng the regular one!

12. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

As someone who has lived in both SF and NYC, I wish I´d had my Beaufort when I lived in SF. It has a 6 oz. lining that is good for moderately wet/cold days. This would probably include foggy summer days!

IMHO, the Beaufort will work well in NYC in both fall and spring. In the dead of winter, you might want the detachable liner, particularly if you have a long walk home or otherwise plan to be outside a lot. If, on the other hand, you move around by taxi, it may not be necessary.

My only regret about my Beaufort is that it´s the roomier classic model. I second the motion to get the contemporary version. I enjoy my Beaufort so much I picked up the cooler, more informal International Trials model.

13. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

14. AgWagon

AgWagon Member

Is there any jacket that looks similar to the Classic Beaufort that I should be considering over it?

If you are looking for versatility and that classic outdoorsy look then the Beaufort is the way to go. I wanted something for the same type of weather but a little bit more outdoorsy or almost rugged looking and went with a waxed unlined jacket from Beretta for much less money:
    Attachment 30141

Then I put the extra money toward something more refined:
    Attachment 30142

I'm pretty happy. Just something to consider.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member