1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about law school? Read this.

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by DNW, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'll pay you to drink (while you dance bottomless and occasionally shout "Teenie weenie shaky shaky!"). Is your weenie teenie enough for this position, though? I've got tons of resumes from the finest trannies in NYC already lined up, so you'd better bring it.

Sorry, I am half black.

You end up dealing with these assholes in all industries, not just service.

True 'dat.

2. aragoona

aragoona Senior member

I'm in a small NYC firm and we have lawyers wanting to work for 8$/hour straight out of law school.

3. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

I'm in a small NYC firm and we have lawyers wanting to work for 8$/hour straight out of law school.

Dude, I know students who PAID to work during the summer, i.e. "externship for credit," which the school charges tuition for.

4. DNW

DNW Senior member

Note the article is 2 years old.

But still a good read, and advice that no one will heed.

Yup, and things haven't gotten any better since then. Some 45,000 students just graduated this year, and moar are coming every year. [​IMG]

5. otc

otc Senior member

Time to think about a new market?

I know people who get paid more than that to make photocopies at small chicago firms...

6. Agnacious

Agnacious Senior member

I have been reading about the imminent demise of the legal profession for 25 years. Sometimes I think it is perpetrated by the ABA to keep the marginal people out of the profession. I know tinfoil hat shit.

7. intent

intent Senior member

I'm about to graduate from law school. Can someone set me up with a $250k SF backup job?

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I'm about to graduate from law school. Can someone set me up with a $250k SF backup job?

Talk to MetroStyles. It won't be pleasant, but, money is money.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I have been reading about the imminent demise of the legal profession for 25 years. Sometimes I think it is perpetrated by the ABA to keep the marginal people out of the profession. I know tinfoil hat shit.

From what I'm reading here, aren't most lawyers "marginal people"? Or is that, marginally people?

10. oman

oman Senior member

i think he means people who are on the fence about becoming lawyers

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Actually, what he means is the ABA uses this tactic to chase marginally performing people away from law. We all know this is wrong, however, as the legal profession is full of marginally performing people. Basically, just like most professions.

12. magogian12345

magogian12345 Senior member

Law School <--- Just say "no."

13. Agnacious

Agnacious Senior member

From what I'm reading here, aren't most lawyers "marginal people"? Or is that, marginally people?

Well, that's not fair. There was a guy here once who appeared somewhat human. Oh no wait, I remember, that was my neighbors dog.

Sure those people, but over the fence a bit also. I think many become dissatisfied with their jobs and think law school is the answer without any real passion for the field. Why not discourage them from entering in the first place. With the expense of the education, monetarily and emotionally, most will not readily admit they have no real passion and find a job doing something in the law field.

edit: my slow typing was overtaken with the correct meaning. (Piobaire)

14. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Dude, I know students who PAID to work during the summer, i.e. "externship for credit," which the school charges tuition for.

Yep. 2Ls at my school [UGA] are doing this. I can't believe it.

15. z7f9q

z7f9q Senior member

That blows my mind. I've never heard of this in Canada.

16. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

Seriously, and it looks like it's becoming more commonplace/accepted. Look at this shit.... Jobless 1L and 2L Students Offered Program Modeled on Summer Jobs Students are basically paying $8,250 to work a fake job at school for the summer...WTF.

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Actually, what he means is the ABA uses this tactic to chase marginally performing people away from law. We all know this is wrong, however, as the legal profession is full of marginally performing people. Basically, just like most professions.
    Pretty much what I was thinking.
    Law School <--- Just say "no."

That's the great thing about SF -- plenty of people who know better than you what you want out of life, or at least what you should want.

18. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Sp they're trapped by their descision to go to school in the current market, compounded by not finding opportunities for expereince? Leads one to feel compelled (falsely?) to try to &quot;improve&quot; their situation by paying for experience further. They're 'investing' in their future. It's quite the bizzare consumeristic idea.

**I am not graduated, currently addenting, or planning to attend law school. So, I'd love for others to point out statement flaws here. I find thewhole thing interesting, and rather disconserting.

19. v.freeman

v.freeman Senior member

If it isn't T14, it's a TTT.

20. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

What incentive would the ABA have to keep anyone out of the profession? Why wouldnt it just not accredit TTTs like Phoenix, Charleston, and just about every diploma mill outside of t50?