• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about getting a custom made Coppley suit from P.M. Jacoby in San Marino...

sleepyx637

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a custom made Coppley suit from P.M. Jacoby in San Marino, California...and was wondering what people's thoughts were in terms of quality, price, etc. (Yes, I've done a search, but was wondering if anyone was also familiar with this particular men's store).

The details are:

- 1 Black suit, for use in more formal events
- 1 Navy suit, for use in law office and when visiting clients
- Quoted price: $900 after factory discount and tax
- Not sure about the material, although I can choose the Loro Piana or Zegna option for about $1400

The owner recommended the custom made Coppley suit over an OTR HSM (which they also carry). I'm comfortable spending $900 for a good suit. HF seems to be a bit out of my price range, and from reading the posts, a custom made Coppley is about as good as a typical HF.

Thoughts? Should I go for the Coppley suit? If not, is there another tailor/store you can recommend in the area which you think would do a better job for the same price?

Thanks.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Don't get a black suit; get a dark charcoal one instead. Black suits will tend to make a man look like a limo driver or undertaker. (Not that I am disparaging either of those professions.) The Coppley MTM program seems to get reasonably good reviews - the suits are half-canvassed, and the delivery time is supposedly pretty short when compared to H. Freeman (not Hickey Freeman), which is probably your other option in the same price range. The other (likely a bit more expensive option) is to look for a store that does Samuelsohn MTM. It'll probably be more like $1300 for a suit, but I find Samuelsohn to be an incredible bargain for what you get. Carroll & Co. on South Lake carry Samuelsohn (also: http://www.samuelsohn.com/index.php) Ultimately, I think your success of MTM programs like this depends a lot on the way you fit the stock suit - they're altering that pattern, after all. If the Coppley OTR suit fits and needs a few tweaks that you and the store associate can clearly identify, then it'll probably work well. If the stock suit is just ho-hum, then you're better finding a H. Freeman or Samuelsohn stock model that fits better as a basis. I've never ordered a suit from from PM Jacoby but I've visited the store a number of times; it seems like a reputable place. I don't think they'll steer you far wrong. You may also want to check out the "Ask Andy" forums as some people there have ordered Coppley MTM before. Hope that helps.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
Don't get a black suit; get a dark charcoal one instead. .

+1

IMO, black is only for special events on nighttime or funerals.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
San Marino huh?

Very very nice area. I'm quite shocked there's still mens wear store in town. Where is this PM Jacoby located? on Huntington Dr.?

Lime

Reaction score
The store's name is PM Jacoy (not Jacoby). In my experience, they provide excellent service and sell clothes at fair prices.

Sadly, they are one of the last surviving men's clothing shops in the San Marino / Pasadena area. Twenty or so years ago one could go to Bill Winn or The Andover Shop in San Marino, or Gary Lund, Atkinson's or EL Huntington, among others, in Pasadena for excellent selections in fine clothing. Now, PM Jacoy and Carroll & Co. are all that remain in the area.

The good news is that PM Jacoy continues to do a nice job for the local clientele.

pitboss12

Reaction score
$900 sounds like a petty good deal. I was going to drop in to take a look after lunch but service at the restaurant took a little longer than I anticipated.

sleepyx637

Reaction score
Thanks guys, P.M. Jacoy is indeed the correct name, not Jacoby
smile.gif

The thing that got me thinking about the Coppley suit was because the salesman, Tony Jacoy, seemed to really know what he was talking about. I read AskAndy too and I'm definitely interested in the Samuelsohn, but I feel like im buying the salesperson's expertise as much as the actual suit. Anyone know about a good saleperson with a lot of men's suit expertise at Carroll & Co.? Or do they have a good full time tailor working there?

(And I do have a dark charcoal suit already, so the black suit would be for more formal events
bigstar[1].gif
)

sleepyx637

Reaction score
fyi, the $900 deal starts mid-Oct., although Tony Jacoy said he could get it if you come a little before that, like Oct 10 or so. Delivery time is 3.5 weeks.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One other option to consider. Since you're in L.A., if you don't mind a bit of a drive, you can contact Ian of Shop The Finest. His store is in Santa Monica and he has a pretty significant stock of high end Italian suits at very decent prices. If you call him and tell him what you're looking for he can get some samples out for you to look at when you visit his store. Since it's OTR it won't have the same fit at an MTM suit, but unless your Quasimodo, a good tailor should be able to address that issue easily.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had a few Coppley suits pass through my hands. One was a really spectacular 3 piece flannel with Zegna fabric. It was nicer than the Samuelsohn MTM flannel suit that I have in my collection.

The others were light weight numbers in the standard fabrics. They were pretty decent.

Mike

ON EDIT: I see this is a deep necropost due to a ******* spammer.
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads