• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think I have found the Perfect Porsche 911

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.singervehicledesign.com/

Came across this in my FB feed, one of my contacts runs Porsche Canada's PR department. I think I have found the perfect 911 the genetic cross between the 1968 911s, 1973 Carerra RS and the late period 993 before the 911 became water cooled (sacrilege).

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the body proportions of that car are perfect in terms of what i would look for in a Porsche. but i dunno if would actually call this car a Porsche, though
puzzled.gif

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
What's the damage?

A hundred grand and up, depending on what you want to do. As a friend of mine used to say in the 80s: total to the pass-o-rama! Gimme a mint condition '66 911 with 2.0L, green gauges, hub caps, and wood steering wheel.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
the body proportions of that car are perfect in terms of what i would look for in a Porsche. but i dunno if would actually call this car a Porsche, though
puzzled.gif

No different then any other tuner car, only this one has more tasteful bodywork.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
A hundred grand and up, depending on what you want to do. As a friend of mine used to say in the 80s: total to the pass-o-rama! Gimme a mint condition '66 911 with 2.0L, green gauges, hub caps, and wood steering wheel.

That's my first inclination (though I prefer a '68 911S) but if you're out for a tuner car, this one is way more tasteful then others out there.

CHenry

Reaction score
IMO, the perfect Porsche 911 is now called the Porsche Cayman.

Rusty G.

Reaction score
I would also like to see someone do a Speedster. . .Black with a dark brown cloth roof.

turboman808

Reaction score
These porsches can really get up in price. There is a motor I want for my porsche but it cost 40k. I will have to wait for that for a few years or more.
frown.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHenry
IMO, the perfect Porsche 911 is now called the Porsche Cayman.

Except the Cayman is mid-engined and the 911 never has, or will be.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
BTW, I like the Singer, a lot. I am still torn on the huge flares, because they remind me of a lot of sad-looking old 911's that people have fucked up over the years, but there's no denying how clean of a product the Singer is. It's also closer to $200K as shown, if I recall. I'd like mine in Audi aviator grey.

a brand new GT3 drove past me last night, and between that and this, gimme the Singer any day of the week.

Sherlockian

Reaction score
I'm torn between the 930 Turbo (one of the first cars I remember being really impressed by a a kid, and I had a Tonka toy of one) and the 993 Turbo as the best-looking 911s ever.

That said, one of the first with the puny 2.0 150bhp engine, basically just an updated 356, would win it for pure old-school, low-speed motoring (yes, I said motoring, like a bearded old man in a tweed jacket and leather driving gloves) experience.

I'd say CHenry is on to something with the Cayman comment. The 996 was changed so much from previous designs that they might as well have gone the whole hog and built the Cayman there and then, rather than stubbornly continuing the battle against physics that a rear-mounted engine presents. They might have saved us from the nasty side 3/4 windows too; it's almost as if they deliberately made it uglier than necessary just to avoid stepping on the 911's toes.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlockian
I'm torn between the 930 Turbo (one of the first cars I remember being really impressed by a a kid, and I had a Tonka toy of one) and the 993 Turbo as the best-looking 911s ever.

That said, one of the first with the puny 2.0 150bhp engine, basically just an updated 356, would win it for pure old-school, low-speed motoring (yes, I said motoring, like a bearded old man in a tweed jacket and leather driving gloves) experience.

I'd say CHenry is on to something with the Cayman comment. The 996 was changed so much from previous designs that they might as well have gone the whole hog and built the Cayman there and then, rather than stubbornly continuing the battle against physics that a rear-mounted engine presents. They might have saved us from the nasty side 3/4 windows too; it's almost as if they deliberately made it uglier than necessary just to avoid stepping on the 911's toes.

I remember the 930 that is one classic Porsche. I rather have a Cayman S than say a new 996 series 911, to me a water cooled flat 6 just does not seem right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads