Things you've seen on SF, but not in the wild...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Insight, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Insight

Insight Senior member

Thank you for rescuing my nearly orphaned thread.

2. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

do you live under a rock?

what kind of rock is London ("the City") under that I havent seen one either

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

On SF- fedora's, colorful & wild stripy socks, flamboyant PS's, fabulous combos, fabulous shoes.
    In the wild- confident wearers of shaved heads, crappy clothes, square-toed or elf shoes..still.

4. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

There are so many things I see on here that I rarely (if ever) see in real life, I'm beginning to think this place is a fig newton of my imagination.

EZ

5. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

• 2" cuffs, other than on my own legs.
    • Someone actually wearing a knit tie
    • Indy Boots
    • Shell Chukkas
    • [​IMG]

6. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Talk about it. I'm on a self imposed challenge to see how long it will take me to see a man wearing a pocket square with his suit this year. Almost two months and no dice.

It sounds very sad were you live.

7. heaven7

heaven7 Senior member

Brazil's actually pretty cheery at this time of the year, with carnaval and everything. Just not the land of iGentry.

8. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

SF: People wearing conservative clothes (boring shirts, ties, pocket squares, drab cuff links and excellent shoes). Wild: People wearing more interesting clothes in bold colors (with ugly shoes). Arguably, wild does not include my work, where I see more conservative than wild. But generally, I see more people with interesting ties (e.g. Hermes), shirts, and cuff links than not. Pocket squares? I very rarely see them in the wild.

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I see pocket squares pretty often, Its ether a product of NJ or that of Princeton specifically, though I rarely wear them anymore.

10. poelow

poelow Senior member

mt spiffy.

11. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

I have seen some well-fitted suits. I have seen some beautiful shoes, even on the metro. I have seen all manner of men's hats. I have seen loud, coloured socks with sober suits. Tie bars are not uncommon among military and police types. I have even seen ascots and, believe it or not, a pocket square or two at the Bastille Opera.

I've never seen a knit tie on a real neck, but they are fairly easily found in stores. Never seen 2-inch cuffs (I don't participate in that ridiculous trend myself, so I won't hold it against anyone). Agreed that patch pockets, 3-roll-2, and grey flannel are extremely rare.

What's not coming across in this list is the lack of combination of all these elements that we see on SF. It's very, very rare that I see someone well put-together with all of the aspects of an outfit that we consider important. Someone could have great shoes but nothing else going for them, which is often the case.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i can't remember ever seeing someone wearing a pair of John Lobbs or Edward Greens, and i fancy myself a bit of an experienced eye in spotting these because of my B&S activities. i live in an area with plenty of disposable income, much of it clearly spent on clothes (south Florida)...and JL and EG are sold in quite a few retail stores around here.

of course, there is no shortage of guys wearing Gucci and LV loafers around here....the bigger the "LV" the better

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I see nothing SF approved by me in Brooklyn. The closest thing would be the shady broker house next to my school (think JT Marlow in Boiler Room) and they all dress and look like Vin Diesel's character.

When I am off or on vacation and I head into Manhattan, I see more stuff, like good shoes, custom suits, solid shirt and tie combos and even some pocket squares. I still don't see many hats on heads though or 2" cuffs.