Things your dumb friends post on facebook

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by musicguy, May 10, 2011.

1. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

2. APK

APK Senior member

Via Facebook, I'm reminded of how so many girls I went to high school with seem to keep popping out kid after kid despite:

1) Clearly not having the means to support them (most of them have no college degree and some are without even a high school diploma).
    2) No apparent stable father in the picture. I'm proof that a woman can raise a child on her own, but it seems irresponsible to have several kids with someone who you have a strained relationship with in the best of times and no relationship in the worst.

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The States have high level of teenage pregnancy and single mums like England...

It is a paradox in our age of communication and available contraception tools.

4. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I think I've probably mentioned this before, but I find the psychology behind this kind of thing weird. I'm going to ask you to repost something that expresses support for people, in this case children, who are in a horrible and vulnerable position. But before I do that, I'm going to insult you for being too "selfish" to do what I'm requesting you do. It draws the attention of the reader to the sender's assholishness and away from the plight of the children.

6. Philip

Philip Senior member

does reposting that actually contribute to anything?

7. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Only to the death of the English language.

8. L'Incandescent

I guess you're just too selfish to see all the good that's done by reposting this. Are you 'TOO COOL' to see that it contributes to honoring those who are fighting cancer? :)

9. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Best FB spam ever (BTW this should go into Kwilk's gay autobiography)

Please help me live out my sexual fantasy: I'm walking out of a mcdonalds and i go down this alley. I hear footsteps following but I walk faster. I see shadows of three figures. The next thing I know Ronald McDonald, the Hamburgular, and Grimace gang up on me and fuck me silly
    Ronald Mcdonald put's his cock in my pussy. the Hamburgular in my asshole and Grimace in my mouth. When they ejaculate, they don't ejaculate semen but the special sauce they put on a big mac.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Shock tactics are in vogue.

I have just received a DVD from the Royal Society of Protection of Children and they invit you to watch some abuse story...

My wife didn't open it because she was too scared of the content..

Is it working or not???

11. L'Incandescent

I think there's an important difference, though. In the case you describe, the makers of the video want you to see how bad the situation is. I imagine you don't see child abuse every day, so you don't have a gut-level sense of the problem. (The average viewer probably doesn't have a gut-level sense of the problem. I obviously don't know about you in particular.) Seeing how bad it is, you'd presumably be more likely to help. I know that those Sarah McLachlan ads about cruelty to animals make me cry like a little baby. It makes me feel the urgency to help more. On the other hand, if Sarah McLachlan got on camera and said "you are probably a self-centered son of a bitch who is too cold-hearted to rescue an animal. Please rescue an animal," that would almost certainly be ineffective.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

12. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

No, that kind of shaming is reserved for the follow-up phone solicitations to former donors who have decided they no longer wish to contribute.

13. L'Incandescent

Very true! Although at that point, they've already established that, at least roughly speaking, you're on their team. Shaming is more likely to produce the desired result in that context, I would think.

14. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I did open the DVD box and there's a message telling us the tape was given to the police after the little girl called the NPCC helpline finaced by donations...

The idea is good but I felt somehow cheated...

15. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Speaking of...I need to make a phone call and have a likely awkward conversation with a CSR...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011