Things your dumb friends post on facebook

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by musicguy, May 10, 2011.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I love how your friend gave the abbreviated forms and then put the unabbreviated forms in parentheses. That was a stroke of genius!

I swear to the Lord I am not making this up. An example sentence for "betimes" in the Oxford English Dictionary is this: "He [man of business] must learn betimes to love truth."

"Betimes" means "at an early point," i.e., early in the process. But betimes it seems meet to use it as a cinnamon for "sometimes." (My cat used to do that, and I thought it was funny.)

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I think we should start pushing "unregardless" out there, see if it'll stick. Just burn this language to the ground.

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

4. L'Incandescent

I don't get the black suit thing. It seems like that came to be regarded overnight as the default color for a men's suit, probably sometime in the early 1990s. You just cannot get the idea out of people's heads. (At least they don't have a picture of a guy with a black suit, scarlet shirt, and black tie, a la Kraftwerk. Seriously, who would have predicted that the Kraftwerk style would become the default for every young man wearing a suit?)

I'll tell you what I also completely as hell don't get (prepared to get flamed): goddamn undershirts. What the hell? (One of the things in the list.) Also, a man over thirty should have good underwear. The picture that accompanies the advice is Calvin Klein underwear. What is mediocre underwear, then?

Finally, beds are overrated yes I said it.

5. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I think another poster here hypothesized that the black suit thing has to do with the fact that unless you have been in a professional environment, your model for a proper suit is what celebrities wear. But celebrities are getting their pictures taken at parties and events, not at offices, so black suits are appropriate for their purposes.

6. L'Incandescent

Do any posters have an hypothesis to explain undershirts? I swear to the Lord Almighty I see students walking around wearing T-shirts. And under their T-shirts, they have another undershirt. I'm all like "Whaa?"

7. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Keeps the sweat off your nice shirt.

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I wear undershirts, but under dress shirts. I don't wear t-shirts. I am under the belief that wearing an undershirt will minimize wear to the dress shirt, thus allowing it to last longer. I have no evidence for this belief, as I have always worn undershirts and have nothing to compare it to.

I also prefer the feel of an undershirt next to my sensitive skin.

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

10. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Shit like this is written for the most insecure of douchebags.

11. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

A few of these categories suggest that this article is satire. Ex. "Stocks: Who cares if you know how the market works or not?"

The glassware rec is also a one-size Fitz Hall shambles. I don't have most of those but have six types of wine glasses--do I fail?

12. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

No I don't think it's satire. Basically the whole theme is "purchase these things despite not understanding any of them, because that's what a 'man' does and you need help pretending to be a man, you overgrown adolescent dork."

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

:laugh:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The black-suit prohibition on SF is one of the rules to which I cling most steadfastly, yet it's also one of the hardest to articulate to people who think black suits are The Way to Go.

I wear undershirts under dress shirts, as well (v-neck, of course, so it doesn't show if I'm unbuttoned). For me, it's a comfort thing. I prefer the feel of a t-shirt to the heavier cloth of my dress shirts. Also, I always worry people can see my skin through the button holes when I move without an undershirt.

For more casual button-up/down shirts, I generally don't wear an undershirt. Casual shirts tend to be lighter fabric, and mine fit more snugly than my dressier shirts, so it would be pretty bunched up if I attempted to work an undershirt in there.

I do not wear t-shirts under my t-shirts, however.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It might be hard to convince some people of, but it's not that hard to articulate: they look crappy in most settings.

15. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I wear undershirts to keep the sweat and body oil from accumulating on my dress shirts. Also, my nipples will easily poke through or their easily visible if I don't.