1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things your dumb friends post on facebook

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by musicguy, May 10, 2011.

1. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Ouch. You really know how to tear a man down. If someone said that to me... i might even cry.

2. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

Yeah, I mean, if it quacks like a d…BLAM!

1 person likes this.
  3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Yo tagut whatchu doing for New Year's, fool?

4. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

I want to make a joke about wadding, but I'm just too lazy.

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

One of my friends runs a troll account to make fun of McMansion/ignorant upper-middle class Southerners. He has some pretty funny reads, one more absurd than the other. Some recent ones:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    4 people like this.
  6. js4design

js4design Senior member

How to avoid cancer.

Some of the better suggestions-

As someone who is alive today because of chemotherapy, and not because I did a good job of reducing the cancer-feeding mucus in my system, I find the spreading of this shit "information" to be incredibly dangerous.

3 people like this.
  7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

but manuka honey probably would have prevented the need for chemo in the first place, BRO. I just read about it.

90% of what you've posted is simply vegan propaganda. yawn.

8. MrG

MrG Senior member

Yeah, these types of posts disgust me. They target desperate, frightened people and spread dangerous "medical advice." I hope that it really doesn't have any impact because people aren't stupid enough to buy into it, but it's still pretty reprehensible behavior.

I feel the same way about the anti-vaxxers and other groups of pseudo-science asshats.

9. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I agree with you guys on the irresponsibility of a post like that, but there is a lot of evidence to indicate a strong link between diets heavy in animal proteins and an increase in risk for certain cancers like colorectal, stomach, etc. Dairy in particular is a likely tumor promoter due to the presence of casein.

And if you think encouraging someone to eat a plant-strong diet is a bad idea, then I don't know how to respond. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  10. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I once had a temp job for an MLM that sold literal sugar pills, which they (or the "independent" people selling them, for plausible deniability purposes) claimed cured every disease under the sun. At their worst, they they would literally have cancer patients buying several hundred dollars worth of them per month.

11. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

My utterly insane great-aunt, who is in debt up to her eyeballs due to a severe QVC addiction (she takes everything they say on that channel as gospel), tried to get my dying grandmother to buy these DVDs made by a crackpot "doctor" who claimed he knew the cure for cancer---and it could be yours for only six installments of $29.99! My mother told her to go to hell.

12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

plant-strong diets are totally a good idea. It's what I basically eat. I eat some meat too. And fish. And butter. I try to keep things balanced.

if one has a diet heavy on fast food, pizza, burgers, and the nightly steak and potatoes, then yeah they're at a higher health risk for a laundry of diseases, including cancer. That article isn't advocating a balanced diet though, it's saying eat this vegan diet and you'll be cancer free.

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

I have no problem with encouraging better eating, or a discussion of the possible implications of our diets, but that's not what's in that post. That post, like a lot of pseudo-science, starts with a grain of truth and extrapolates improperly.

14. js4design

js4design Senior member

I think most reasonable people understand the benefits of a balanced diet, and the health risks of a diet dominated by red meat and dairy (and therefore high in fat) are documented. This is very different from mucus fueling the growth of cancer cells, and breathing deep increasing your oxygen level and suffocating cancer cells. The problem is that this doesn't encourage people to eat a plant-strong diet, it uses fake science to scare people into eating their vegetables, while villifying life saving treatments. Also, the link between dairy and cancer is far from conclusive, and studies on the subject have been contradictory.

edit: sorry, forgot to refresh and it looks like I'm the third to say basically the same thing.

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Steve Jobs was also one to purposefully shun the "mucus" that results from animal products. He died of cancer.

1 person likes this.
  16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

First off most epidemiological studies on meat and cancer don't examine an independent meat effect on cancer. People self report meat consumption and the end of a long period of time the study author see how many people got colon cancer and then try to control for variables in sex, height, weight, and energy intake. Some meta studies show that once you factor in things like smoking and bmi the correlation is no longer statistically significant. Most of (if not all) studies don't address the protective effects of fruits and vegetables in conjunction with meat consumption. In other words as one metastudy shows increased meat consumption might actually be neutral in risk of colon cancer and fruits vegetables highly beneficial in decreasing risk. It might be possible that people who tend to eat lots of meat tend also to not eat Fruits and vegetables and the latter is what normally protects people from colon cancer.

Second the casein scare is bullshit and several studies show it. The casein scare is perpetrated by a now disgraced dr campbell who did experiments where he fed rats a ton of casein and found it caused problems for the rats. The disgrace came where he went from lots of casein in rats is bad to any casein, and in fact any animal protein, in humans is bad with no evidence to back it up in order to further a vegan propaganda. A lot of studies show that actually whey has a protective function so if in the rare case you drink 10 protein shakes a day use whey in conjunction with casein.

Tldr meat isn't necessarily bad for you, but fruits and vegetables are definitely good for you and if you eat the three together you're fine. Also casein is bad for rats but not necessarily for humans

2 people like this.
  17. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

As long as I can still eat at Popeyes and Arby's, I will be fine wit my life.

2 people like this.
  18. js4design

js4design Senior member

Not if you want to lose that holiday weight.

19. sonick

sonick Senior member

Jamie doesn't mind dating a fattie?

2 people like this.
  20. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Distilled water has a neutral pH until exposed to air, but then it's acid level is much less than green tea.

I'm not suggesting you should drink distilled water, but this kind of shit is grade school level chemistry.