Things you wish you knew about college, graduate schools, and entry-level careers?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Flambeur, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

+1,000000000000

That is my best advice too. And I speak with experience (in B-school, not humanities).

Explain, I'm curious.

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I just found out this week how important calling up an old colleague that went on to bigger and better things and having a beer with him can be. Just landed contract work from one of the country's biggest law firms by doing just that.

3. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Well it depends. In some disciplines it will always be great (mostly hard sciences and quantitative stuff), in others - not so much.
    The Ph.D.s, postdocs that I base that advice on are in fields like electrical engineering (wind power, satellite comm), plasma chemistry, molecular bio (my field), etc.

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I just found out this week how important calling up an old colleague that went on to bigger and better things and having a beer with him can be. Just landed contract work from one of the country's biggest law firms by doing just that.

+1. It's really pretty stunning.

5. videogeek

videogeek Senior member

Smoke as much pot, and drink as much booze as you can, and still remain a functioning member of society.

Sleep with everything you can.

Get in some good fights.

Don't worry about "getting ahead." It's a chimera.

Another +1 for this.

6. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

Flambeur, what line of work are you in? I think it would be helpful to know where you are coming from. Your advice has been very good, but a little background would add perspective.

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Flambeur, what line of work are you in? I think it would be helpful to know where you are coming from. Your advice has been very good, but a little background would add perspective.

I've been around

8. APK

APK Senior member

- I would've better prepared for funding my education. Had I not screwed up in a couple of classes, my college fund would've covered my entire college career. But I didn't apply for a single scholarship in high school nor seek any sort of financial support.

- I would've taken classes a little more seriously. I feel I've gotten a good education out of the deal, but I don't think I got close to all I could have.

- Random hookups. As it was, I spent my first three years of college in a serious relationship, another year getting over that, and then the next in a serious relationship. I'm newly single for my last semester, but I'm still pretty torn up about it ending.

9. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

Nice.

10. snuffy

snuffy Active Member

Excellent threat Flambeur.

I would add that being persistent in your college life/entry level career is key.

Keep in mind there is a "weeding out" process in early in college life as well when you start your career. Its very easy to give up and take the path of least resistance. Most of my susccessful friends are not necessarily smart, but they were persistent.

11. bigboy

bigboy Senior member

Most of my susccessful friends are not necessarily smart, but they were persistent.

OH>MY>GOD.

Seriously though, if more people knew this. I've met some shit for brains kind of people and have been at aw as to how far they've made it based on being persistent.

Unfortunately for me, I've been able to get by with minimal work all throughout life and with 2 more years to go in Uni, I'm having a hard time with being persistent and working hard.

12. untilted

untilted Senior member

GAAP or IFRS?

IFRS doesn't allow LIFO i thought...

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Are we still talking about this?

Life is a fucking joke. Don't let yourself be the punchline. Get out there and experience things vs. attempting to have "a career."

14. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Are we still talking about this?

Life is a fucking joke. Don't let yourself be the punchline. Get out there and experience things vs. attempting to have "a career."

I don't understand why you can't have both?

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I don't understand why you can't have both?
    One takes too much of your time up to do the other one properly. Sadly, I can't seem to give up the career thing though. After years of being the working schmuck, I sort of identify with the roll now, even though I fully realize now this whole thing is a chimera and the only reward for the career working schmuck, is a bigger tax bill and more hard work. You can play by all the rules, be the responsible guy, but then you get hung out to dry and have to put your goals on hold longer, because everyone else fucked up. You just pay for the fuck ups of others, both with your tax burden and having to delay your dreams even further.