• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you SHOULD or shouldn't spend extra money on

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
I grew up in a family where spending money isn't a good thing, regardless of the quality. If you can get a white dress shirt for $10, why bother paying more "no one will know the difference"
Polyester, Payless, and Marshalls were considered more than enough and Macy's was only reserved for the "wealthiest"

Up until I got my first corporate office job, I didn't know better. After interacting with people who actually live in the modern world, I finally got full cotton, wool, and and swiss automatics. While I can say now that I better understand how quality makes a difference in what you wear, there are some instances where paying too much is just senseless(is a Zegna necktie REALLY worth $200? )

What I usually hear is that you should never hold back on suits, watches, and shoes.
What items do you think a man should or shouldn't spend extra $$ on due to diminishing returns?

EDIT:
I want to better clarify what I mean by "extra money"
It all comes down to best "Bang for the buck" The way I understand it, if you think of a standard distribution (bell) curve, there is a point where the cost:value ratio diminishes and you're only paying more for something of comparable quality that could be obtained for less.

Just as an analofy, Sure you can spend money on a Patek Philip, but an Omega, Cartier, Breitling provides just as much return as a Patek and will cost much less. For a good watch, you don't want to go cheap, and you do want quality but you don't need to get the most expensive either.

I hope this helps clarify my thinking.

Spilotro

Reaction score
Cheap shoes are very costly.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spilotro
Cheap shoes are very costly.

+1 After learning that my $80 rubber soled clunkers have a 6 month lifespan (alternated with another pair of rubber soles) getting quality shoes with welted leather soles is the only way to go.

The things I've been spending a bit less than "normal" I suppose would be ties. I was able to tap into my father's tie collection as he no longer wears ties every day and found some gems in there that I absolutely love: Gucci, YSL, Christian Dior, along with some no names that look pretty damn good.

I was also given a pretty decent watch as a gift; a Raymond Weil Automatic, allowing me to save in the department as well.

jetfight

Reaction score
SF is probably not the right place for "low end" advice

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mix it up. Spend a lot on stuff you really love, cheap out on stuff you don't care about. Be happy.

I have some Paul Smith socks which are great (mercerized cotton, wool, hand-linked toe), I also have some from Target which work fine and look cool.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that it is easy to go from "don't spend money on anything" to overspending. finding the happy medium is important. I try to keep a small wardrobe of good stuff, made from artisans in the 3rd world and eastern europe. I wouldn't buy a suit from a "name" itallian tailor or english shoemaker, but that is just me.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Ok I'll say it CUFFLINKS. Like people REALLY are going to notice that you are wearing 750$ cufflinks with a random design that does not even reflect that it's from a prestige brand.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I moved into my own apartment many years ago, my grandmother told me "if you dust, no one will know you didn't vacuum." If your clothes fit well and you wash your face and stand up straight and tuck in your shirt and do all those things your grandmother told you to do, no one will notice if you didn't spend a lot of money on your outfit. Having said that, I do think people notice the leathers on a man - get nice shoes, belt, watch, wallet and briefcase.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Ok I'll say it CUFFLINKS. Like people REALLY are going to notice that you are wearing 750$ cufflinks with a random design that does not even reflect that it's from a prestige brand.
Do you wear a lot of 'labels' so people really notice that you are wearing prestige brands ..? I don't spend a lot on pocket squares and tend only to buy ties on sale ...

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
What I usually hear is that you should never hold back on suits, watches, and shoes.
What items do you think a man should or shouldn't spend extra $$ on due to diminishing returns?

I'd hold back on watches. You can get a pretty decent-looking watch for a few hundred bucks ... spending more can seem like brand-name-braggery. ("What time is it you ask? Just let me check my Rolex ... ")

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I think that it is easy to go from "don't spend money on anything" to overspending.

+1. There's a sweet spot, but you have to find it. It's foolish to believe that the most expensive is always the best, though I sometimes see that advice, phrased differently, dispensed on the forums. It's the same logic that convinces people they're getting something special when they buy Prada shoes.

For me, I want a certain level of quality. Once that level has been met, I buy based on aesthetics. I don't need $200 ties, because I can find ones I like much less expensively.

Stuff I have been happy to buy on the cheap:
Socks (My Gold Toes hold up as well as my Pantherellas, which have been, at best, inconsistent in quality.)
T-shirts (Hanes, cheap and disposable)
Buttondown shirts (Brooks from eBay or the outlet, $20 or less)
Casual summer linen shirts (J. Crew, even Old Navy a couple summeres ago)
Cords (J. Crew 5-pocket cords, a pair from Lands' End)
Ties (Mentioned above. My Lands' End knits are as nice as my Charvets)

Stuff worth a premium:
Good umbrella
Nice leather bag
Decent sunglasses

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by penguin vic
Do you wear a lot of 'labels' so people really notice that you are wearing prestige brands ..?

I don't spend a lot on pocket squares and tend only to buy ties on sale ...

No I don't but with exceptions. Suits and dress shirts don't need labels you can tell by the fit and the quolity, but for example if I'm going to a bar and wearing a polo I would probably take one that has a prada or lacoste logo on it.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion it is worth while to spend money on anything that is leather or metal. with everything else if it fits you well and is not horrible quality you can get away with. Thats not to say you shouldn't spend money on stuff like that, but it is not as necessary as leather and metal goods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads