Things you SHOULD or shouldn't spend extra money on

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ProfessorShak, Nov 10, 2008.

1. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I disagree with those who suggest spending less on ties and more on watches. A cheap tie will kill an otherwise nice suit or coat. I haven't paid full retail for a tie in ages but I would never buy a cheap department store tie. There is BIG difference between a $40 tie and a $150 tie (bought for $50 of course). OTOH, the difference between a $500 and a $5,000 watch is not worth the extra $ imo.

2. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

just curious why you think a good umbrella is worth its premium, vs just a nice one for $50/less

i think because we're in sunny socal we hardly think of umbrellas. If i were in NYC or something, I'm sure I'd be willing to spend more on an umbrella. I think we probably need a very durable umbrella at most 5 days of the year, if that, depending on what we're doing for the day. for now, i stick to my $15 one. Actually, the one I use now is free - got it from work.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I disagree with those who suggest spending less on ties.... A cheap tie will kill an otherwise nice suit or coat.
    I agree. Although many of my ties are bought on discount, I rarely find a cheap brand that works well with what I wear.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I agree. Although many of my ties are bought on discount, I rarely find a cheap brand that works well with what I wear.

I suspect this really depends on the type of ties you like and the look you're going for. It's certainly easy to go wrong with a cheap tie. But I think it's possible to find decent ones pretty inexpensively. I won't mind if someone calls me out next time I sport one in WAYWT. I'd like to see if it can be done.

5. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

I personally don't see the point in spending money on a junk tie when great ties are ALWAYS available at big discounts. I've bought Polo made in Italy ties for as little as $8, but when I have the option to get a Charvet for 50$ then I see no comparison to buying a Perry Ellis for the same price.

6. Aluan

Aluan Well-Known Member

I grew up in a family where spending money isn't a good thing, regardless of the quality. If you can get a white dress shirt for $10, why bother paying more "no one will know the difference"
    Actually, at least one person will know the difference. And it's you. I think that dressing to impress others isn't the best motivation for buying higher quality items. Of course, if you can't tell the difference between a $10 white dress shirt and a $500 one, maybe you're better off getting the cheaper one.
    What do you mean by "extra" money? I think you have to establish a baseline amount for each item before you can ask whether someone should or shouldn't spend an additional dollar on said item. The concept of "extra money" is completely foreign to me. [​IMG]

7. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I think it is not wise to skimp on quality, but it is wise (and frugal) to economize on quantity. Also, don't trust anyone who thinks a $15 dress shirt, or a $15 tie, is as good as the real thing.

8. ProfessorShak

ProfessorShak Senior member

What do you mean by "extra" money? I think you have to establish a baseline amount for each item before you can ask whether someone should or shouldn't spend an additional dollar on said item.

The concept of "extra money" is completely foreign to me. [​IMG]

The way I understand it, if you think of a standard distribution (bell) curve, there is a point where the cost:value ratio diminishes and you're only paying more for something that could be obtained for less.

I understood this with pipe tobacco smoking. There are VERY expensive pipes but there are also VERY CHEAP ones. The quality of your smoke is affected by cheap pipes, but after a certain price point (say $100) you won't get a better smoke by paying for a $300 pipe, so why buy it(unless for asthetic reasons)?

9. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

Ok I'll say it CUFFLINKS. Like people REALLY are going to notice that you are wearing 750$ cufflinks with a random design that does not even reflect that it's from a prestige brand.

+1

I would have said it earlier but you beat me to it.

10. whiskeylaureate

whiskeylaureate Senior member

This is a great idea for a thread. I constantly wage this battle internally (and with my girlfriend).

Things to spend on:
    Suits (the quality shows in the structure)
    Jeans (I routinely get compliments wearing nice jeans and a Hanes T)
    Anything Leather (though I'm not huge on belts--cheap dress shoes degrade quickly)
    Dress shirts (for fit, not brand)

Not to spend:
    Cufflinks (vintage lots on ebay are great for these)
    Socks (go cheap, but not Wal Mart cheap)
    Sunglasses (one good pair, cheap out the rest)

When I say "spend", I think of taking your time to shop for deals: Nordstrom Rack, ebay, sierra trading post, Bluefly, SF sale section, etc. Buying in a true retail shop is always a last resort for me. However, when my ship rolls in...

11. lalolanda

lalolanda Member

so, for someone who is just starting to get better quality stuff, what kinds/brans of shoes should one go to? I've pretty much used cheap-ish shoes since I can remember and can most definitely agree that they don't really last nor are pleasurable to wear.

12. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Senior member

I've been disappointed in sweaters' ability to avoid pilling. I don't think I'll be buying $200+ sweaters anymore; they just can't be kept looking great easily.

13. swiego

swiego Senior member

I'll invest more up front in dress shoes and sweaters. Both tend to be timeless in style, fairly resilient to body changes and subjected to the elements, so I want them to last. This doesn't necessarily mean spending more money, however I am willing to make the investment if I feel I'm going to get better quality.

My experiences differ from a lot of people here: I don't seem to destroy inexpensive articles like others. I have plenty of perfectly inexpensive mall-brand shoes, outerwear, sport coats etc that have lasted just fine. I read these stories of people buying a $100 shoe, wearing it out after 2 hours, and using that experience to justify their $1,000 shoes and I start to wonder whether they have a weight, posture or orthopedic problem. I suppose some of the people here are secret agents who need their Lobbs to survive fast-paced pursuits on foot of criminals they tried to arrest at the gala event but got away--every night. Me, I put most of my shoes through a wringer day in and day out (horrible city walking, winter, etc.) and they last even when they are cheapies I get at a Marshall's. Would they last 2,000 wearings probably not, but I thought that's why you get a number of pairs and rotate. Likewise I haven't worn out a sport coat yet, even some of my $50 Nautica jackets. Again, I'm not a secret agent and I don't play tennis in a sportcoat so it's possible others need a $2500 Italian sport coat for these purposes, but for just wearing about, putting stuff in the pockets, taking it on and taking it off, they seem to serve just fine. I pay more because I like a style or fit or feel of the fabric, not because I expect it to last longer.

I definitely don't spend for socks. I figure why get Pantharellas when I can get higher quality Gold Toes for a fraction of the cost from Costco?

14. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Ok I'll say it CUFFLINKS. Like people REALLY are going to notice that you are wearing 750$ cufflinks with a random design that does not even reflect that it's from a prestige brand.

Do you really want people to notice that you paid alot for anything? Or should you even care?
    I dress for myself.

15. likeitaloud

likeitaloud Senior member

mr monty I don't belive that for a second. You might not blatently show off a logo but tell me you would not enjoy when someone says something in the lines of "this suit looks amazing on you what is that a Kiton? I see you really know quolity clothes."