• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you should have done in the past

lamergod

Reaction score
Have you guys ever regretted doing something back when you were a teenager that would help improve your career or life now?

I have been thinking about my past and I kind of regretted not networking myself better and I should have gotten in to stocks earlier.

What are yours?

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should have done at least one internship when I was in college. Ideally two. One at a publishing house and one at a literary agency. It just kinda slipped my mind, and now I'm behind the eight ball somewhat. Luckily I have good work experience, so that should hopefully make up for it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I should never have started cooking meth and probably that Russian prostitute ring, now that I look back on things, was better left alone.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I should never have started cooking meth and probably that Russian prostitute ring, now that I look back on things, was better left alone.

No, what you should have done was started cooking meth, then written a TV show about it, moved to Hollywood, sold it, and made millions and garnered lots of awards.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

No, what you should have done was started cooking meth, then written a TV show about it, moved to Hollywood, sold it, and made millions and garnered lots of awards.

I had thought of that but was too busy with the Russian thing...

Radagast

Reaction score
There was a thread awhile back about advice you would give to your younger self. I can't seem to find it but if you can dig it up I recall there was some good insight in there.

Career: I would have job shadowed anyone who would have let me. I definitely was very naive about what working life would be like.

Personal: Would have never started drinking. I've never had an alcohol problem but when I lay down the pros vs cons of drinking, it's starkly obvious I would have been better off abstaining. I still haven't given it up though.

And I should have finished the last grade of Royal Conservatory Piano. My sister who finished the whole program makes a nice side living teaching piano.

Last edited:

bmathe02

Reaction score
Should have prostituted my self for some quick dirty money.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wish I'd started saving earlier... seems kindof standard but still, wish I had.

lamergod

Reaction score

There was a thread awhile back about advice you would give to your younger self. I can't seem to find it but if you can dig it up I recall there was some good insight in there.
Career: I would have job shadowed anyone who would have let me. I definitely was very naive about what working life would be like.
Personal: Would have never started drinking. I've never had an alcohol problem but when I lay down the pros vs cons of drinking, it's starkly obvious I would have been better off abstaining. I still haven't given it up though.
And I should have finished the last grade of Royal Conservatory Piano. My sister who finished the whole program makes a nice side living teaching piano.

You mean this one? http://www.styleforum.net/t/199684/if-i-knew-when-i-was-20-what-i-know-now

Maximator

Reaction score
2 things.
1. Study a lot harder. I'm a pretty smart guy(or so I've been told) but never had the discipline to study properly. So while everyone else was doing their homework and studying for exams, I was off dreaming up devices for landing on the moon and other very fascinating, but utterly irrelevant things.

2. ALWAYS have at least 2 months worth of money saved somewhere. Having experienced a meltdown of my personal finances to critical levels(we're talking 10 USD and a bag of rice being all my worldly assets), that's something I never EVER want to experience again. Alas, the money is soooo easily spent. especially if you seem to have a lot of it...

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smoked less weed and banged more co-eds.

dufferin1

Reaction score
Calling out my ex on Twitter. We could have been best friends and probably have worked it out but I had to make that stupid remark on Twitter. Lost my best friend to it.

MaxFlex

Reaction score
When I was a teenager and started my first part time job my dad sat me down and told me about the "wonders of compound interest" and if I start saving now I could be rich in my 40's. Needless to say I had more immediate uses for the cash on the weekends and oh well...

So two weeks ago I sat down with my oldest son (16 y.o.) and explained to him the "wonders of compound interest" and I saw the same disinterested look on his face my Dad saw back then. Oh well, at least he can't say I didn't warn him... :)

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I was a teenager and started my first part time job my dad sat me down and told me about the "wonders of compound interest" and if I start saving now I could be rich in my 40's.  Needless to say I had more immediate uses for the cash on the weekends and oh well... 

So two weeks ago I sat down with my oldest son (16 y.o.) and explained to him the "wonders of compound interest" and I saw the same disinterested look on his face my Dad saw  back then.  Oh well, at least he can't say I didn't warn him... :)

There's a reason everyone regrets not saving more when they were young and yet no one can get their kids to do it. I just think it's way too hard for a kid, who breaks his back mowing lawns or flipping burgers, to take what little cash he/she makes and not want to go out and spend it.

I found it way easier to save when I started working a white collar job. Back when I was doing manual labor and a 10 hour shift ended, you're so euphoric all you want to do is go out and blow all your cash to forget your exhausting and crappy work day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads