• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're just becoming further and further removed from experiencing life. Kids aren't even playing video games, theyre watching people play video games online.

Im not old enough to comment if our threshold for entertainment has steadily been going down. Seems like film making is basically dead. Do any of these superhero movies really even need directors? It seems like most of the "culture" we produce nowadays is tremendously stupid. Maybe an older cynical member will tell me that's always been the case.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kids used to play with a ****** stick and wood wheel. That was ******* stupid.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It still beats lions and slaves in the Colosseum so I think we're okay.

brokencycle

Reaction score
We're just becoming further and further removed from experiencing life. Kids aren't even playing video games, theyre watching people play video games online.

Im not old enough to comment if our threshold for entertainment has steadily been going down. Seems like film making is basically dead. Do any of these superhero movies really even need directors? It seems like most of the "culture" we produce nowadays is tremendously stupid. Maybe an older cynical member will tell me that's always been the case.

I think that's an argument as old as time. Weird Al had a parody, I Can't Watch This, about TV from 1992.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, it’s always been stupid. Superhero movies in particular, since they were mentioned, were far worse back in the day because movie tech was primitive. Even the stuff we thought was good kinda doesn’t stand the test of time. I rewatch some of these ‘cult classics’ and realize that they’re actually pretty dumb

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, it’s always been stupid. Superhero movies in particular, since they were mentioned, were far worse back in the day because movie tech was primitive. Even the stuff we thought was good kinda doesn’t stand the test of time. I rewatch some of these ‘cult classics’ and realize that they’re actually pretty dumb

Not to mention the scores of mediocre westerns and rah-rah war films made 1940s-70s.

Seems like film making is basically dead. Do any of these superhero movies really even need directors? It seems like most of the "culture" we produce nowadays is tremendously stupid.

Funny thing is the number of films released in theaters has increased massively over the past 40 years, even though the number of studio films has remained relatively flat.

Though, on the music front, I listened to the Spotify "new music Friday" playlist on my road trip. I haven't paid much attention to pop music in like 15 years, and almost nothing has changed. 80% of that playlist sounds like it could have been made in 2005... basically anything that isn't heavily autotuned. I can't imagine saying that at any time in the past. Top 40 from 2005 was very different from music from 1990. Top 40 from 1995 was very different from 1980.

Maybe this is just selection bias.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kids used to tend farms, clean chimneys, and, according to a documentary I watched, spy for a eunuch that used their information to subvert or support the monarchy.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think most films today need a director more than ever. When Woody Allen filmed two people walking in Manhattan he controlled the actors, camera angle, dialogue, lighting and score. In a modern cartoon or CGI movie the director also controls and can manipulate the entire visual field.

Still, over the last 10 years every time I like a movie and think it's original I've been checking and they are almost all remakes of something and I suppose comic books count. It's certainly almost all derivative crap

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kids used to tend farms, clean chimneys, and, according to a documentary I watched, spy for a eunuch that used their information to subvert or support the monarchy.

See, that's what we need to be doing! The problem with kids today is that they have too much free time to watch rubbish on YouTube!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, i watched “Hobbs and Shaw” yesterday and i changed my mind. Films today are definitely stupider

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so looking forward to watching that, even if I leave the theater with a headache from all the brain cells that it kills.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do super nice luxury sedans have amazing backseats or ? because for my $$$ i'm getting my mind blown in the backseat that's where i want the appointments.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know Microsoft has been firing on all cylinders lately, but why can't I delete a calendar event on from my calendar (while it is docked) without opening the event??? As it stands, although I have the calendar event highlighted, if I were to select delete my most recent email gets deleted instead. Even right clicking the event doesn't help, so I have to take the extra step and open it. Gah!! Posting this on here in case I'm just stoopid and there is in fact a way to delete the event without opening it.

Hate them or not this is the type of **** Google, Facebook, Apple (for sure), and Amazon would have figured out (though Facebook would keep it if it somehow made them more money).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hate them or not this is the type of **** Google, Facebook, Apple (for sure), and Amazon would have figured out (though Facebook would keep it if it somehow made them more money).
False. I keep getting random location-based reminders on my phone that I had marked as done a while ago.

Googling reveals I am not the only person this happens to and correcting it is annoying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads