• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

brokencycle

Reaction score

Pensions are held and managed much differently than they used to be pre 2007. Stuff like Enron etc where people lose pensions because it was held in Enron stock can't happen anymore.

And you say 'underpaid' in the current sense. Are you counting the income they would receive after they retire?

I am referring to it in the current sense because I don't know the details of their pensions, which are complicated by a handful of variables.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pensions are held and managed much differently than they used to be pre 2007. Stuff like Enron etc where people lose pensions because it was held in Enron stock can't happen anymore.

Enron...

Pensions...

Your grasp on the subject seems weak.

-Enron blew up in 2001
-Enron employees mostly blew themselves up via 401K investments
-There is in many cases nothing to stop people from putting 100% of 401K investments in company stock, beyond a disclaimer
-Pensions are often/typically only partially guaranteed/insured. Bankruptcy of the funding company will negatively impact pensions.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, I said 'stuff like Enron etc', Enron was simply an example of a company who did was I explained. I never once stated that Enron happened in 2007, I used that date as other companies with similar plans also went down at around that time. I also never said that workers didn't lose money in their 401k's - it was irrelevant as the topic was pensions, not 401k's.

God you're arrogant.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Control of Multiemployer Plans
Most plans are jointly administered and governed by a board of trustees, with labor and management equally represented.
  • Management trustees — the contributing employers or an association to which they belong typically determine how the management trustees will be selected.
  • Labor trustees — the union typically determines how the labor trustees are selected.
A trustee is required to act in the sole and exclusive interest of the plan and its participants, regardless of who elects or appoints the trustee.
The board of trustees normally makes decisions about the plan’s benefit structure. The bargaining parties negotiate a contribution rate and the trustees translate that rate into a benefit. Decisions to increase benefits or change the plan are also typically made by the board of trustees. In some industries (especially mining and segments of trucking), employers and unions fix the benefit levels through collective bargaining.
The costs of administering a plan are generally paid from plan assets.
^ Top

Plan Benefit Structures
Multiemployer plans are subject to many of the vesting, accrual, and minimum participation rules that apply to single-employer plans. However, there are differences in plan design. Many multiemployer plans are "unit benefit" plans that offer a specified dollar-amount benefit per month multiplied by years of credited service. Some plans offer a choice of enhanced benefits to employees whose employers agree to pay higher contributions.
In addition, multiemployer plans offer portability — participants retain service if they switch employment from one contributing employer to another within the same plan. Further, many plans in the same industry (for example, trucking) offer reciprocity whereby an employee who moves from one geographic area to another can transfer credit between plans.
^ Top

Employer Contributions
In multiemployer plans, the amount of the employer's contribution is usually set by a collective bargaining agreement that specifies a contribution formula (such as $3 per hour worked by each employee covered by the agreement) and further provides that contributions must be paid to the plan on a monthly basis.
If an employer is delinquent, ERISA Sec. 502(g) permits the plan to sue and obtain the delinquency plus interest, liquidated damages, court costs, and reasonable attorney fees. This is a major difference between single and multiemployer plans.
^ Top

^Investment Decisions
ERISA has one set of investment rules that generally apply to all defined benefit plans. Plan assets must be invested prudently and solely in the interests of participants.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was 12 (just one year older than Diderik man time flies) I thought "Just Another Night" by Mick Jagger was the coolest song I even had a tape of the album it was on. (I had a craving to hear it today so I listened to it again.) It's weird how I still love almost all the songs I loved as a child. ("The Long Run" by the Eagles is a exception I loved that in 1979 don't really want to hear it no more.)

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is song of popular on the radio called "Exes and Ohs" and it is about a succubus woman who is irresistible to men and then she leaves them and they whine at her.

Well, I han gotten curious and looked up who this vixen is and this is what she looks like:

I think this song is not truthful.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
♪♪♫~~~♪ I might like you better if we slept together ♫~~♪♪♫

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get why the umps didn't throw the flag on Joey Bats' home run should of been Unsportsmanlike Conduct call it back.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So back in the decades when men (and women for that matter) regularly wore hats as part of their professional, semi-formal, and formal attire, did everyone just have hat head once they were indoors?

I ask because I bought a hat that I actually like (my oversized round Asian face generally looks awful in hats). But now I find myself deciding whether I'm just going to keep it on all day if I wear it. Because my oversized round Asian face looks ridiculous with hat head.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

So back in the decades when men (and women for that matter) regularly wore hats as part of their professional, semi-formal, and formal attire, did everyone just have hat head once they were indoors?

I ask because I bought a hat that I actually like (my oversized round Asian face generally looks awful in hats). But now I find myself deciding whether I'm just going to keep it on all day if I wear it. Because my oversized round Asian face looks ridiculous with hat head.

This is something I have pondered more than once and for these very same reasons. I wonder if that's why they all had their hair greased up?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Not sure...just spit balling here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know that classic hats caused as much hat hair as something like a baseball cap or winter hat that actually contacts the top of your head.

If it only really grabs in a ring around your head above your ears, and everybody wore short hair, I can see how hat hair would be avoidable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads