• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hair cut places that are walk-in only, and are only open 9-5.

How is this still a thing? Plenty of people who work non-traditional schedules around here, so I guess they stay busy, but it is impossible for someone like me to get my hair cut. Far enough away that I can't just duck in, put my name on the list, go back to work, and run back when they are ready. If I try to go at lunch time where I have time to wait around, there's already 5 other people with the same idea so no way to make it work.
I (foolishly) decided to do No-Shave November, so my next haircut I'd also like to get a shave from a legit barber locally. I will have to look around, since my regular haircut place won't be able to do that.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now I feel lucky...
One of my good friends from high school has been cutting my hair for 20 years.
She just recently decided to work from home, and had her contractor husband build a single station salon out back. I just cruise over to her house every 4 weeks.
I found someone I liked who took appointments (she actually used to work at the no appointment shop but went out on her own).

Unfortunately she seems to have sustained some sort of hand injury that has caused her to close up shop for an undetermined period (possibly forever)

Heading to Chicago next week for a holiday party and I'm contemplating calling my guy out there to see if he can squeeze me in the morning of the party because at least I know I like his work.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found someone I liked who took appointments (she actually used to work at the no appointment shop but went out on her own).

Unfortunately she seems to have sustained some sort of hand injury that has caused her to close up shop for an undetermined period (possibly forever)

Heading to Chicago next week for a holiday party and I'm contemplating calling my guy out there to see if he can squeeze me in the morning of the party because at least I know I like his work.
It’s not something most people think a lot about, but trusting someone to take scissors to your hair is extremely critical.
Someone asked me what was the most important thing to me…
I said “my hair, and 2nd place isn’t even close”.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Hair cut places that are walk-in only, and are only open 9-5.

How is this still a thing? Plenty of people who work non-traditional schedules around here, so I guess they stay busy, but it is impossible for someone like me to get my hair cut. Far enough away that I can't just duck in, put my name on the list, go back to work, and run back when they are ready. If I try to go at lunch time where I have time to wait around, there's already 5 other people with the same idea so no way to make it work.

I tried a new place during COVID because they added appointments. They are a hipster place that has a pool table and a bar. They claim people would just come in and hang out all day during the week and they couldn't wait to go back.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here I thought it was just Houston currently without power and under a boil water order. Happy to be corrected though.
Houston has power. It's just the power to the water facilities shut off for a period of time yesterday causing water pressure to drop. Once the pressured dropped for too long, a water boil notice was issued.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Houston has power. It's just the power to the water facilities shut off for a period of time yesterday causing water pressure to drop. Once the pressured dropped for too long, a water boil notice was issued.
Totally not a failed state/city.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not something most people think a lot about, but trusting someone to take scissors to your hair is extremely critical.
Someone asked me what was the most important thing to me…
I said “my hair, and 2nd place isn’t even close”.

My old stylist was ok but not great, and I finally found someone who is great! Amazingly good job. At first I balked at the price, but its worth it, and now I'm getting a trim every 6 weeks.

Unfortunately at the last appointment he somehow got off on a religious screed in which he claimed to have understanding of Christ's truth that only 6 people in history have had. Apparently he is going to write a book that will change the world. It will be 77 pages. Then he will write a book that will only be 11 pages and everyone will turn against him.

The haircut went 1 hour 15 minutes instead of the normal 25-30.

I.....don't want to listen to this anymore, but I really like the haircut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads