• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s deliberately tanking the stock price, effing over lots of investors, regardless of their political ideology.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure, but why do people take him seriously? This should be grounds for jail time, at a minimum.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sure, but why do people take him seriously? This should be grounds for jail time, at a minimum.
People, on the whole, are dumb, and assume because you have money or that you ‘run’ a company, that you're smart/educated about every topic.

also, no one holds him accountable. What are they going to do, fine him a few hundred thousand? A million? He’ll just brag about it online.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People, on the whole, are dumb, and assume because you have money or that you ‘run’ a company, that you're smart/educated about every topic.

also, no one holds him accountable. What are they going to do, fine him a few hundred thousand? A million? He’ll just brag about it online.

Martha Stewart went to jail for far less.

brokencycle

Reaction score

The problem with things like SEC fines is they aren't high enough. You get penalized damages at most generally. The problem is the fines should be the damages divided by the probability of getting caught. If you don't include that, technically, the game theory best play is to always cheat (unless there are other penalties).

Example: if you get a $1m advantage by cheating with only a 10% chance of getting caught the fine should be at least $10m.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may have been said somewhere in this thread, but signs in restaurant bathrooms reminding employees that they must wash their hands before returning to work. Does this really need to be said? Is it not commonly understood that diners do not want remnants of body waste in their food?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This may have been said somewhere in this thread, but signs in restaurant bathrooms reminding employees that they must wash their hands before returning to work. Does this really need to be said? Is it not commonly understood that diners do not want remnants of body waste in their food?

Fun fact: Those signs are a result of the literal Typhoid Mary. She was a cook and was known to not wash her hands.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "top of mind" psychological effect that produces a measurable increase in handwashing from the presence of the signs though. If you can argue that Enron having their stock price visibly posted in elevators led to riskier behavior, you can probably argue that having a constant reminder that you are required to wash your hands can have a similar marginally positive effect.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun fact: Those signs are a result of the literal Typhoid Mary. She was a cook and was known to not wash her hands.
Another one I learned last night, as previously I only knew it to be a TV dinner mainstay when I was a little kid.
Salisbury Steak was invented by Dr Salisbury during the civil war as he believed a meat-centric diet would stop the Union Soldiers from ******** themselves to death.
Which apparently was thing.

Reactions: otc

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe those signs are actually required by regulation (possibly OSHA or FDA?)

so it’s government that think its citizens are dumb ***** for needing to be told this (and they’re right)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This clickbait article makes absolutely zero sense:

6 Strange Things Millionaires Do With Their Money, But Most of Us Have Never Tried.

The first one is investing in art...I'll give you that most of us probably have never tried that (although its just a shill referral to Masterworks...and the economic evidence still mostly suggests art is not an overall good investment)

The rest are ridiculous:

2. install a browser plugin to let you know if you could save a few bucks by shopping at Walmart instead of Amazon? How is that something "millionaires" do?

3. Use some ****** personal loans platform to borrow and consolidate credit card debt. Millionaires don't have credit card debt. I mean, I'm sure some do, but unless all of your wealth is home equity and you're having a cash crunch, you're not actually a millionaire if you need some small-timer loan to pay your card.

4. Get "free stock" by opening a robinhood account. Up to a whole $200!! Robinhood is like...literally the opposite of a platform for rich people.

5. Shop around your car insurance. What? That's neither strange nor something most people have never tried.

6. Buy life insurance (through this convenient referral link)....On a certain level, the richer you are, the less necessary this becomes. If you've got a few mil banked up for retirement and **** and you die, well, that sucks...but there's plenty of money to pay for college and let your spouse pay the bills.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's from the "just buy fewer lattes" school of personal finance writing -- ie. entirely worthless (like the writer, who probably didn't even get paid for the low-effort clickbait).

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m not gonna click on it but it reminds me of an influencer douche around here who flaunts his house, cars, jet and offers to sell you his secrets for being a self-made wealthy person.

basically the secret is, you get a bunch of saps to buy your secrets to being a self-made wealthy person.

Reactions: otc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads