• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This truck talk reminds me of a famous story at one company I worked for. The company was based in Santa Clara and worked only in the South SF Bay,
While driving back from a visit to the midwest to visit family the owner was perplexed to see no less than three of his company's trucks parked in front of a notorious house of ill repute in Ely, Nevada. Seems it was a stop off on a hunting trip to Colorado. Upon return asses were chewed and threats were made but nobody got fired. A legend was born.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you have a two seater truck you can use the 3+ lanes with just the one bud
That would be an advantage. But we don't even have 2+ lanes where I own the truck ... heck we don't even have highways with more than one in each direction. Well, if I drive over to SeaTac ... I might see. In my life I've gone from big city (New York & London) dweller to little city (Berkeley) resident to country boy (well, old fart).

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This truck talk reminds me of a famous story at one company I worked for. The company was based in Santa Clara and worked only in the South SF Bay,
While driving back from a visit to the midwest to visit family the owner was perplexed to see no less than three of his company's trucks parked in front of a notorious house of ill repute in Ely, Nevada. Seems it was a stop off on a hunting trip to Colorado. Upon return asses were chewed and threats were made but nobody got fired. A legend was born.

also sounds like some asses mighta got chewed in NV

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, there is a reason for that. Not everybody can afford (and shouldn't) having 2 vehicles. Plus, those who need to use a pickup truck have families. Sitting in the front of a pickup truck wasn't very comfortable back then.
I've noticed there are an awful lot of very expensive pickups out there. Many people seem to be able to afford those or they are in hock. The one we found was about $14K and I only own half. That leaves me money to pay for a car. I see no problem owning the two ... and I'm a left leaning Democrat.

But yes, if owning a two seat truck makes it easier for the family man, I do understand that.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When we lived in Asia I got chewed out by my parents for taking my mom’s company car and parking it in front of an establishment of ill repute. She worked for the UN so the thing had a diplomatic tag...so it was made clear to me that this was not a good look.

afterwards my dad pulled me aside and said before I did it the next time, to give him a call first. So being one to push my luck, I did so.

when I got there the parking attendant told me he’d just spoken to my ‘friend’ and waved me into the fenced in employee parking lot at the back. Problem solved!

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we lived in Asia I got chewed out by my parents for taking my mom’s company car and parking it in front of an establishment of ill repute. She worked for the UN so the thing had a diplomatic tag...so it was made clear to me that this was not a good look.

afterwards my dad pulled me aside and said before I did it the next time, to give him a call first. So being one to push my luck, I did so.

when I got there the parking attendant told me he’d just spoken to my ‘friend’ and waved me into the fenced in employee parking lot at the back. Problem solved!
Yeah in this case it didn't help that the company name written in 6" letters on the doors of the trucks was the owners name

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah in this case it didn't help that the company name written in 6" letters on the doors of the trucks was the owners name
In my Berkeley Hills days, a rather attractive but older neighbor often invited me over to her garden for coffee. One day she shared that she was having a discreet affair. I thought to myself ... not as discreet as you think. That big honkin' red pickup with Fire Department written on the side makes discretion impossible.

But hey, it was her business ... not mine. She was an outstanding neighbor.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a guy who was such a lothario he removed the painted numbers the company put on the trucks and replaced them with interchangeable magnetic ones so if he got reported they'd just go "uh sorry mam' but we don't have a truck with that number. You must have read it wrong"

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that every restaurant now seems to employ one person who I can only describe as a “brunch anarchist”. This staff member goes around only carrying a bottle of champagne and proceeds to fill everyone’s mimosa with champagne sans orange juice. it’s the most disconcerting brunch thing ever

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the winter I throw my skis in the back and they stay there till spring except to wax/tune or ski.

I don't think I've ever lived somewhere where you could comfortably keep things in the bed of a truck and expect them all to still be there when you get back...

Do you have a topper? I only recently found out that toppers turn trucks into "grandpa trucks" but, you're probably ok with that.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever lived somewhere where you could comfortably keep things in the bed of a truck and expect them all to still be there when you get back.
A garage would work. If out and about ... it might be different. Now here in a remote part of the Pacific Northwest ... I don't even lock my house.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever lived somewhere where you could comfortably keep things in the bed of a truck and expect them all to still be there when you get back...

Do you have a topper? I only recently found out that toppers turn trucks into "grandpa trucks" but, you're probably ok with that.
Yeah I carry 3 pairs of skis you have to be able to lock them up. Like I give a crap what anyone thinks about a topper. It's a tool besides I can drive around for weeks until it's full and not have to feel like I need to keep going to the dump.
edit: most people around here don't have bed covers because surf boards are longer that truck beds, at least the big guns that get used around here.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my Berkeley Hills days, a rather attractive but older neighbor often invited me over to her garden for coffee. One day she shared that she was having a discreet affair. I thought to myself ... not as discreet as you think. That big honkin' red pickup with Fire Department written on the side makes discretion impossible.

But hey, it was her business ... not mine. She was an outstanding neighbor.
My neighbor is a gym teacher at the town's middle school. About ten years ago he had an affair with the mayor (both married). All of their online "correspondence" were made public because a judge ruled that town, city and state governments are presumed to be public. The comments section in our paper was even more awful than usual.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
me: I'M NOT WEARING MASK IM NOT AFRAID OF STUPID FAKE VIRUS HAHA I DONT LIVE IN FEAR LIKE YOU STUPID LIBRULS

also me:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads