1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Because Ice Cube didn't even have to use his AK.

4 people like this.
  2. otc

otc Senior member

Well, they hung out at their friend's places, but they also frequently cooked meals that everybody rushed to come eat (I'll trust them on that one even though nobody would say "yeah, we would have dinner parties but a lot of people never showed up"). Not that different than mooching on your friend with a boat or when you were a kid and everybody wanted to hang out at the kid's house that had the video games. Those people probably like having people over for drinks on their patio, just like boaters love any excuse to use their boat.

It is true that they say you don't need those things...and then when living in mexico they have a big home with a gardener and other staff. On one hand, when you retire and stop working all of the time, you probably do want more space, but on the other hand...

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

They really were pot dealers. Those were the home cooked "meals" that everyone supposedly rushed to their home to partake of

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I think their phrasing just bothers me because it's like they don't want to admit they were sacrificing. It's totally fine to lower your standard of living to the minimum level that's tolerable for you to save more money. But it's disingenuous to pretend that it's not any kind of sacrifice, which is pretty much the case they were trying to make. Sure, say it's not that big a deal and it was worth it to them. But the "zomg I can't possibly process why anyone would want more space!!!"....then immediately getting a much bigger place as soon as the numbers work out bit really makes it annoying.

Well, that bit makes sense. They sacrificed for some time to be able to retire early, and now they can afford all those things in another part of the world where everything is cheaper.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

We just be hatin' :laugh:

Ah, but seriously, besides the fun places to travel, their life sounds like it sucks by my definition. Living so frugally to become financially independent, and then frugally again to preserve that financial independence...

I guess it could be great if you're not the kind of person who needs a lot of the things you need money for, but that's not for me.

6. otc

otc Senior member

The more I think about it...100k tax free is actually pretty solid for a couple in that situation. Not only are you not losing money to taxes...but you also aren't saving any of it. The only reason you would need to save anything from one year to another is if you needed to make a big cash outlay and you didn't want to withdraw more than your "tax-free" amount.

so its not like you are losing 35k to taxes, and then saving another 25-30 (401k, IRA, shorter term savings) leaving you with 40k to spend.
    If you are drawing down 100k according to this family's scheme, that means you are actually spending 100k.

8k a month will get you pretty far, even in the US outside of the biggest cities. You can't have it all, but you could still cruise around in a Porsche if that is your passion.

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

In times of yore I would have been married by now because that's just how it was. I wonder if I'd be better or worse off?

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I agree. 100k tax-free is a lot of money. 100k not tax free is a pretty substation sum for 75% of Americans. From wikipedia:

[​IMG]

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

I din't think they are getting 100k tax free. I think it is just that with their scheme they can effectively earn up to 100k tax free.

But even if they earn only 40k annually tax free, you can comfortably live off that at the moment without being a cheapskate.

I do hope they really worked out the numbers though as to whether their $1M can sustain them for the rest of their lives and also support their kid till he can make a buck and move out.

If they are just spending all their interest annually then they are not going to see growth from their principle. Over time, due to inflation, the value of their earnings will erode, which means they have to further cut down on their lifestyle spending or dip into their principle, which leads to lower earnings and things can get ugly quite quickly.

So I hope they have planned it all so that they would project the money to run out not until the age of 80.

10. greger

greger Senior member

$1,000,000 is peanuts. What is the power of inflation? In the early mid 60s my parents bought a house for $3,000. Today the land alone is over $100,000. If my parents didn't sign up for old age tax discount my parents property taxes would be more than what they payed for the place, every year. In the late 70s I started to buy a house for $12,500. Nowadays the land must be over $100,000, not sure what that house is worth. In 30 - 40 years from now $1,000,000 will buy what? A box of cheap chocolates?

The tables for calculating interest can be used for figuring inflation. Does that word tables date me? A computers in those days would fill up an average size house while I write this on my cell phone. In 20 years will we even have cell phones?

11. L'Incandescent

Overheard conversation:

A: I han started "eating clean" to where I don't even need to wash my bun no more!
    B: That is not what "eating clean" means it's just a manner of expression still got to clean the bun.
    A: Goddammit I hate expressions why can't people just say what they mean?

12. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

http://www.styleforum.net/t/83741/secrets-of-the-clean-dump

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

I understand the not getting of girls wearing leggings on the outside has been done to death, but I am now totally conflicted on this matter.

Leggings has now crept into office wear territory masquerading as smart trousers. Saw a petite young woman in one the other day during the lunch break. I think I was glad about them leggings that day.

14. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It must be compulsory for good looking women and banned for fatties.

15. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I don't get why today isn't a national holiday.

16. blahman

blahman Senior member

It was for me.

Easter Monday F'Yeah!:slayer:

17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Drove next to a Honda this morning that was rolling on two donut spares. On the same side. The thing had a 20 degree list

18. L'Incandescent

It is now 41 years and one day since the Buffalo Bills introduced their charging buffalo logo. Can you believe it's been that long? I can't.

19. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I've been getting a lot of emails this week from colleagues saying that they are "WAH" or "OOO". Why are we sending emails in baby talk?? :confused:

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

We use WFH and OOO. I'm gonna be OOO this Friday to buy my new MacBook and try on some Apple Watches.

:bigstar:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015