1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

It's not about public/private, it's about whether the debt was created with a prior agreement as to the form of payment or not. Private businesses as well as government agencies can refuse pennies, or large bills, or payment in cash altogether, if it's specified before you receive the good or service you're paying them for. A bus or tollbooth doesn't have to take pennies, because they have not agreed to let you access the service yet. If you don't want to pay the way they want you to, you can get off the bus or turn around and leave the tollway. A business can say "no large bills" or "credit cards only", and as long as they tell you that before they give you the good or service, you have to agree to that condition as part of the sale.

But if the debt was created without a prior agreement on the form of payment, as in a government fine or emergency room bill, they have to take any legal tender- large bills or pennies included, since you haven't negotiated that right away as part of the agreement to enter into the debt. In cases of government fines or tickets, the debt is created with no negotiation at all, so you can't waive your right to pay in pennies or absurdly large bills.

Oh, and in your scenario, screw "the count is coming up short". If I'm the clerk and you didn't wait for a receipt, it's gonna be, "what payment?".

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I don't get The Wire. I watched two episodes, thought it was boring (didn't hold my interest), and stopped watching. My best friend keeps nagging me to watch it though. He tells me that I just need to watch the first 438593485 episodes, then I'll get it and it will all be worth it.

3. otc

otc Senior member

It does start out a bit slow....but god damn is it fantastic as everything starts to come together.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

It's a bit hard at first because there are so many characters and it can be hard to follow all the pieces and connect the dots. But after 3-4 episodes, you'll get hooked.

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

You need to keep watching. The pacing is a lot slower than most other television shows, and there will be episodes where not much happens. It's very much like a novel in that respect.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is what anybody says when you don't like the show they love.

7. patrickBOOTH

I've been watching Bates Motel. I like it.

8. otc

otc Senior member

Yes and No.

Some people are in denial and think if you just watch more it will work. Maybe the show really did a bad job of setting things up for new viewers...but often the show just sucks for the other person.

But the wire really does start slow. Lots of characters introduced in the first couple episodes without a lot of action. Maybe they could have done it better---paced it in a way that draws in new viewers easier (and this is something TV showrunners have been getting better at in the past 10-15 years)--but it really is a shame to miss out on such an excellent piece of long-form fiction just because the first few episodes are a bit slow.

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i binge watched Parenthood yesterday.

going to pick it back up today.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Different strokes and all that, but as someone who doesn't find many tv programs to hold my interest, I'm a huge fan of The Wire. And yes, it seems like an easy way of discounting the legitimate preferences of people with different tastes, but I do think it rewards stick-to-itness (although I liked it from the start) for the reasons others have mentioned.
    One thing (among many) I really liked about it was looked at complicated issues like drug enforcement policy in an observational rather than a preachy way, using it as a sort of background setting laden with tension.
    By way of contrast, I found that to be one of the failings of Simon's next show, Treme - which was enjoyable for the music and sense of place, but fell flat as story-telling. The show took a much clearer moral (or moralistic) position on the social and policy issues of post-Katrina New Orleans. Even though my own default sympathies were often in line with those the show inclined toward, it made it feel much more forced and didactic than The Wire.
    It probably didn't help that John Goodman's awful character was the in-show mouthpiece for those views.

1 person likes this.
  11. otc

otc Senior member

I am only a few episodes into the second season of Treme but I mostly agree that it is worth it for the music and the setting, but is not otherwise a fantastic story (
    but at least John Goodman's character is gone
    )

I think one thing that set the wire apart from it was the fact that it looks at every side of the story at the same time. You are following the drug dealers, the drug kingpins, the drug users, the cops trying to catch the dealers, the cops who don't give a shit about the dealers and just want good stats and upward momentum in their careers, etc (and that only expands in scope as the seasons move on).

S1 of The Wire does this in a way that makes you want to root for people in every category. Treme can't truly do that without literally making a character out of Katrina and FEMA, but I didn't think Simon even tried to present sympathetic characters representing the "bad" of the show. There are a few characters here and there representing the establishment (I recall an assistant DA and a former cop who both get a bit of story around "just doing my job"), but they certainly weren't introduced in the first episode, and they don't have any story beyond bit parts in an episode or two.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Preachy shows suck and The Wire did not suck. Treme is unbearable for me.

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

I watched more than this. I want to say I got through about half a dozen. It doesn't get any better.

I gave up because, on top of being excruciatingly boring, the number of episodes die-hard fans told me I had to watch for it to become enjoyable increased every time I passed the previously-set threshold.

"Check out The Wire. It's incredible. Greatest show ever in the history of ever. It's literally the end of TV."

"Watched it. It was boring. Does it get better?"

"Yeah, man. Just watch a couple more."

"Watched three. Still boring."

"It really takes, like. the first six."

"I just wrapped up episode six. Still boring, and now I've given up a quarter of a day of life to the show."

"You really have to get through the first season. Then it gets good."

:fu:

The worst part is how so many of the show's fans tend to have concluded that watching it means they're somehow socially aware and able to digest social commentary, and, therefore, not liking it means you are an unsophisticated philistine who can't handle intelligent criticism of our system. It's like they've all decided that suffering through its painful boringness means they've transcended watching TV shows for entertainment, and the fact that you expected to be entertained when you watched it makes you somehow less cerebral.

1 person likes this.
  14. patrickBOOTH

I felt this way about Mad Men season 3 and beyond. Also, people were raving about Boardwalk Empire. I felt it died fairly early on. It was an unbearable chore to watch any more than 40 minutes of Game of Thrones.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm sort of the opposite on The Wire. If you don't like it by the end of the first ep you're probably not going to like it.

16. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Out of curiosity, all you people who can't get interested in The Wire, how many books have you actually finished in your life?

3 people like this.
  17. MrG

MrG Senior member

:teach:

4 people like this.
  18. patrickBOOTH

I need to give this show a shot to see how I measure up.

19. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I agree with everything you said. You are an unsophisticated, non-thinking, Southern philistine.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. otc

otc Senior member

Eh, it took more than one for me. Not sure how many...but if they were just airing it fresh now, and I tuned in to episode one as the follow-on to some other show, I am not sure I would have tuned back in for episode two.

The millions of people raving about it got me to watch more than one. Not sure how many I watched before I was hooked. I probably watched the next two in quick succession since binge watching makes that easy...and it just went on from there.

I don't want to insult anyone here by saying they have a short attention span...but I have a friend who felt the same way...watched more than one (they gotta be close together though...I won't give you credit for watching multiple episodes 6 months apart) and just found it boring. I'd probably qualify him as having a pretty short attention span without a high level of engagement. Not much of a novel reader, requires a lot of active plot to willingly stick with a book/show, etc. That's just how he is--its not like he is of lower intelligence or anything.

He's fine with Game of Thrones though (the show), because despite having as much wide-character-coverage as the wire, it has a LOT more action and game-changing events. Also, I think HBO just handled character introduction a little better in GoT.