• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well that and there was something in the feminist thread about belly dancing. Didn't think about it until today

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you ever notice that after a rainstorm it sometimes smells like cumin outside?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

i wonder if it's a white american type of mindset. i don't recall koreans being prickly over imitating other cultures. vietnamese places in korea don't even know what cilantro is. pizza places put spam and corn on top of their processed cheeses. italian places make dishes you'd only see in olive garden like penne a la vodka

It's not a "white American type of mindset." Do you really think the vast majority of flyover country care about this? It's been around for a while and is the prerogative of the chattering class. The best recent outrage I can think of was Miley and twerking.

http://www.gradientlair.com/post/46177438708/black-women-twerking-miley-cyrus-white-privilege

Opening paragraph:

Twerking, just like everything else that is specifically known to Black women is the latest thing for Whites to try to appropriate while simultaneously trying to police and shame its originators for doing it at all. Whites (and some Blacks as well) are approaching it with the typical White supremacist approach of overly applauding and worshiping whomever is the latest popular spoiled irritant of a White human being to try to do it, which in this case would be Miley Cyrus. Unlike when something Black men, or both Black men and Black women created/do is appropriated, where some Black men are bothered by the appropriation (i.e. The Harlem Shake), once it’s specific to Black women, some Black men no longer care and applaud and worship any and all non-Black (and especially White) women engaged in the appropriation. The latter is also a facet of White supremacy (and male privilege).

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I didn't mean all white Americans hate on cultural appropriation. I meant people who hate on cultural appropriation tend to be white Americans. also occasionally second or third generation immigrants. Like that belly dancer article person

I feel like second third generation immigrants are foreigners no matter where they go. Every time I go back to korea even though I look korean and speak and write and read fluent korean I get treated as a foreigner and I feel more comfortable with other foreigners (usually other korean Americans) than I do with other Koreans. Eg the korean social hierarchy to me is really uncomfortable

And then here in the states I also always get asked where I'm really from and the follow up question is north or south

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Seems you're stuck in the no man's land but national sentiments are overrated anyway.
I feel good where I live now, mostly because I was raised here. Other places don't give
me that feeling of being home, even those within my country.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

G, you need to get the minivan sticker of all minivan stickers: Baby on Board.

Oh, you have a baby on board? Why yes, instead of t-boning you, why I'll run head on into that cement truck!

I see a lot of this sticker here. dumbfuckingasses

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never seen that sticker before.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love people from other cultures. I just hate certain types of people from my own country's culture.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have these cousins that are so into their family. I don't really get it and it makes me feel like a monster because I am not like them. Essentially my cousin got married and moved "down by the shore" with his wife. His mother then moved "down by the shore" too. My other cousin (cousin's brother) doesn't live "down by the shore" but makes driving down there every weekend where they all hang out together. Sometimes he makes driving down there during the week where they spend time together. Now, me, I see my parent's about 4 times per year. I mean, I love my parents but I don't want to hang out with them as we don't have much in common cept' fo' jeans.

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to hang around with my parents from time to time, just spent an afternoon with my mom. I could live with seeing my sister 4 times a year, she sometimes annoys me a lot.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i see my parents maybe 3 times a year. Usually, nothing changes and I still have to listen to my mother talk about how each boss is worse than the last, and then listen to a lecture "about boozing" as I pour a glass of wine for dinner.

It kind of sucks.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My parents also have this irrational stigma against alcohol. If you have a drink anytime, ever, you are an alcoholic who needs recovery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads