Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I have a decal on my car says "I do not have any children on board on account of abandoned them."

2. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

No. Regurgitation. Food was prolly poisonous.

Argument noted. Also note that I am the guy that when he moved out of the city and had to buy a vehicle for two people and a dog --- bought a Ford Expedition (It was one of the few SUV's that were still built on a truck frame with real 4WD and could tow and haul anything I ever could want ). I don't have to drive to work frequently and I also tend to keep vehicles and drive them until the repairs cost more than the vehicle is worth, so I bought the vehicle I needed in a few years not right then.

3. MrG

MrG Senior member

I've considered the hassle factor, and it's possible I'll opt for wet storage, or dry storage at a marina, when (if) the time comes. This isn't something imminent that I've fully planned out, just a goal.

That said, you have to keep a couple things in mind. One, I'm not talking about a big cabin cruiser here. I'll probably go with something like a bowrider that I can use to cruise and pull kids in tubes and such. Two, I have access to a number of places to use a boat, buy they're not connected by navigable waters. That means keeping it stored near water rules out, or seriously complicates, a lot of great options.

Still, boat ownership is a huge hassle, and that fact hasn't gone unnoticed. You have to love the water to really make it worth it (I do). One alternative I've considered is researching a boat club. I dont know a whole lot about them, but it might make more sense than ownership.

I can definitely see how the big SUV could work as "insurance" against breaking down and buying the minivan.

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I don't know if my boat is fancy but I live an hour away from it and do fine. Are you talking about trailered boats that need to be launched every time?

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

huge, huge, hassle. All of it, cabin cruiser or 14' pond skipper. Even undoing the 87 buttons for the protective cover is a hassle ... and then reconnecting them after all day on the water is an even bigger hassle. And all of it is $$$$$.

it's a blast, but just remember that its all a giant and expensive headache.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

yes, should have specified.

7. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I think Mr. G should buy a foiling Moth. Great for the kids!

[​IMG]

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i was out on the Finger Lakes over memorial day, and one of those mofos passed us. I have to say, it didn't look like much fun.

9. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Foiling and going faster than the wind on a reach didn't look like fun? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

it looked like a mix of effort and skill. no beer holder.

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

[​IMG]

The idea is to work up a thirst by going super fast and then drink after!

12. otc

otc Senior member

Hate to say it...but unless your boat is so big that it requires a giant pickup (something like a 10 meter+ sailboat...don't know where motorboat sizes fall), there are some minivans that are pretty solid boat movers.

They can have issues with ramp launches if they are FWD (crane launches, no biggy), but the Toyota Sienna has AWD and tow package is now standard (tranny cooler and wiring) although I think you still need to get a decent hitch. Can tow something like 3500lbs.
    Then you've got plenty of gear room inside...and if you are a racing sailor that makes the drive nonstop with crew...you've got plenty of room to ditch seats and lay down a futon in the back to rotate between sleeping/passenger/driving.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

this brings us to a new problem alluded to earlier - if so many people suck at driving big vehicles, imagine the suckage when you connect a boat to the vehicle.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Holy shit I want to look just like this guy, who do I give my credit card number to!?!?!!??!

[​IMG]

15. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It's bothering me that you used a unit of area to indicate distance.