Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Sounds like a wise decision. Tattoos rarely hold up well at our age.

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

specially tramp stampers
    [​IMG]

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

She looks good..:uhoh:

Last edited: May 23, 2014

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I would totally vote for compulsory driving tests every 10 years. The number of people who sit in the fast lane doing 50mph, who refuse to use their indicator, who pull out into fast moving traffic, is incredible.

I can count at least 5 friends/family members who should have been prohibited from driving years ago. They're either too old blind or stupid to be in control of a tonne of metal moving at 80mph without some government intervention.

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Doesn't the Uk have a compulsory medical test every year from your 70?

I was watching road wars the other night and they pulled up some old guy, gave him a quick vision test and took his license, so you can just be the douche bag who calls the police like a lot of people do on family members to drunk drive.

6. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

It's not a health check, it's just vision. Even then you only have to be able to read a license plate at 15 meters. It can't account for general lack of competency or fear of traveling at proper speeds.

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

Yeah, I think that's probably a reasonable assessment. From the looks of this guy and his car, he's not exactly setting the world on fire.

My brother lives in Alexandria, and I've heard the horror stories about traffic. I was fortunate when I visited to manage to avoid it, but he's talked about it. My mom has mentioned it too after she's visited, and she's actually said the traffic is a big reason she would never move to the area.

It really would be nice if there we some repercussions. I mean, that guy endangered me in a very real way. If he'd pushed me out in the street, I would have been allowed to do what I needed to feel safe. It's too bad there's no way to translate that to driving.

Nope. I wasn't aggressive in any way. I saw the guy pull out well in front of me and realized he was going to hold up the lane, and I started thinking about what I'd do. I made a conscious decision to not get angry about it and, upon realizing I had a good head of steam and the oncoming lane was open in the passing area, concluded I ought to just take advantage of the speed difference and pass him. I didn't gesture, tailgate, or do anything else. Hell, I didn't even look at the guy until I was next to him and heard him gun it. Other than just being a dick for the sake of it, the only guess I have is that maybe he was upset or something that I came up on him fast, but that's kind of what happens when someone is passing you because you pulled out barely moving.

Either way, I was actually particularly well behaved. It sounds like a very similar situation to what you encountered. Guy was just pissy for whatever reason.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Okay we have a health check preformed by your GP, where you are required to be able to drive a car in an acceptable way.

9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I had a SF meetup with U_Mass_Whip-It today. He kept bragging about how his alma mater won all the basketball championships this year and how that made him "alpha as Funt." Apparently he thought the idiom was about Allen Funt. (I didn't correct him about that, or about the basketball championships of which he was so proud of.)

Last edited: May 27, 2014

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I agree with you..

All Seventy year old think they're the best drivers in the world and it is their right to be on the road...

I never had an accident...

And how many of them have you provoked?

11. otc

otc Senior member

This morning, I looked over and saw a woman driving while operating an iphone. She had another iphone sitting on her leg and was holding a pen in the other hand like she needed to do some writing.

wtf? Can't these people remove themselves from the gene pool somewhere else where they aren't apt to take me with them?

12. L'Incandescent

Betimes my FB friends post happy birthday wishes to celebrities who have perished. I don't think I understand that behavior, unless it's just a way to convey to people that the poster was a fan of the celebrity. (Apparently it is Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes's birthday today.)

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Sometimes I do not get death. I do not get senescence. Is it an expression of entropy? I don't know.

14. L'Incandescent

Basically the Lord just gives you a specific number of years and they run out.

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Can you buy more years? I can do that with my vehicle's warranty