Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

People who clean up right before the cleaners come (I'm married to one of these)

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

I don't get people who drive like assholes just for the sake of it. Part of my commute includes two-lane roads that allow for passing. The speed limit is 45. This morning, someone pulled out in front of me and decided doing the speed limit, or getting up to it with any urgency, was not important despite the fact that I was already on the road at full speed. Rather than get all road ragey, I decided to simply pass them and move on. As soon as I got next to them in the passing lane, they punched it and wouldn't let me by, leaving me in an oncoming lane with no out other than hitting the breaks to GTFO of the way before a car appeared coming directly at me.

Seriously? What the hell? You don't want to drive fast, and that's fine. But don't be a dick and put me in danger when all I want to do is get around you and keep going. I sincerely don't understand what motivates people who behave like that. Are they truly that insecure?

3. why

why Senior member

Nope, just stupid. Driving in America is a right, not a privilege.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^my wife and her whole family turn into huge assholes when driving. they realize they are total assholes too. its something I don't get either, but it is what it is.

My mom and dad drove in Southern California in the late 80's (during the infamous road rage shootings epidemic) and that brought some perspective.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: May 23, 2014

5. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Why does the radio edit of "Mr. Vain" never include the rapping part? It's 2014, rap is mainstream, people. Surely if you can play Rihanna and Eminem singing about beating each other up, then you can play the sweet rhymes of Culture Beat. It's always so sad too because I get all excited when inevitably I catch the song at the chorus and wait with great anticipation just to be disappointed when the supposed-to-be-rap part is reduced to a mere extended instrumental bridge.

6. MrG

MrG Senior member

I'm not saying it to pick on you Douglas, but I don't understand people who listen to the radio. MrsG is a big fan, but it drives me nuts to be at the whim of someone else's music selections and editing. Plus, there's so much terrible music out there that the ratio of good music to bad on the radio is awful, and even when you find a good song you miss part of it.

There's definitely an element of this, but it doesn't explain it completely. I mean, great, you drive like the road belongs to you, but that doesn't really explain why you'd do something like what happened this morning. What's the point of putting another person in danger just because you, what, need to be in front? Do they consciously say "fuck this dude. This is MY road, and I get to control everyone on it" or is it instinct?

I've really been trying to chill out with the road rage. It was really bad when I was commuting in Atlanta, and has gotten better in general since that changed, but I still get mad too easily. It's especially important to keep it in check when I have my kid(s) in the car. I can generally compartmentalize it and chill out when they're with me, but I lost it not too long ago when my son was riding with me. When I looked back on how pissed I got, I was really ashamed that I'd modeled that for him. I've tried to use that as my motivation to mellow out in general - I was actually pretty even-headed this morning despite what a fucking dick that guy was - but it still pisses me off and makes zero sense to me.

7. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Not everyone is as obsessive (pretentious?) about music as you are, Matt.

;)

8. MrG

MrG Senior member

A very fair point.

:embar:

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Take a douchebag, put him in a situation where he can exert arbitrary control over other people, and you get consciously bad drivers. He's probably envisioning you as his ex-wife or his boss.

Driving in DC is bloody awful. I live and work out in the 'burbs, and I get all these clowns who have just driven home from DC. By the time they get out here, they're driving like complete whoremongers. They've dealt with rush hour for 20 miles and they just want to get home. So they'll cut you off just because, run red lights like crazy, whatever. I

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I get confused when people use the term "rescue dog". I think that now it means dogs who the owner rescued from the pound. But I always associated the term with dogs that do things like sniff out people buried in rubble.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I think it's because pound dog sounds like a hot dog from McDonalds.

On the idiot driver thing not letting you overtake thing, I think on coming idiots who can see you overtaking and speeding up, so you have to speed up or do a hail Marry are far worse.

12. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I don't understand Selah Sue. Or maybe it's the Europeans and their taste in popular music that I don't understand.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I think there should be some sort of "defense of castle" law that lets you justifiably shoot people that do this. I mean, no tailgating, no horn honking, just go to casually pass your slow ass and this is the reaction? Also, even if they don't floor it, I've noticed people like this often honk at you and flip you the bird once you're in front of them. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago on an undeveloped, and at that moment, empty stretch of road. Came up on a guy doing about 35 in a 50, it was a passing lane, so I just went around him. Soon as I got in front of him he started flashing his lights and flipping me the bird.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

He could tell you're Canadian.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

:fu:

I took the maple leaf off my bumper last year!