Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

That would make sense if she asked for a copy of my resume and nothing else, but she also asked that I tell her which position specifically I was applying for (the one I already got rejected for), as if I hadn't applied yet.

2. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Sounds like she may be trying to push you for the position even though you're officially under qualified.

I've come Across this before, where my CV looks insufficient for a position, but a 20 minute chat is enough to demonstrate that I have more that the required skills.

I think this is where recruiters earn their money; by putting the right person in front of the company, not just the right CV.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

How many times do I have to tell you recruiters get a cut of your first year annualized and they do not give a damn if it's a good fit, will hurt you, the company, or both in the long run...as long as they get their commission? She is taking a run at them personally to see if she can get her 30-40k commission.

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Pio always has the secrets of the world.

5. otc

otc Senior member

But when you put these together, isn't that really how good recruiters can make their money?

They shove you in front of the company and convince them that they should look at you even though you might not be perfect according to your CV. Then, when the company realizes you have the right skills, but can do the job for less $$ since your CV isn't up to par, they are more likely to hire you at a discount and thus give the recruiter his money.

If the recruiter was flinging over-qualified candidates, they might not have to force them upon the company (since the CV will make it past HR), but they are less likely to get the job if they are going to be an expensive hire.

6. Piobaire

^ More or less. GF was just sounding puzzled (again) over this type of situation. As someone that's dealt with headhunters in trying to find candidates I know how they tend to work. The good ones are about building relationships with hiring decision makers for higher level jobs. The run of the mill one is about selling candidates to mid-level positions and collecting their commissions.

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

This isn't a third party recruiter, though. It's an in-house recruiter who works at the firm I applied for.

I'm assuming she gets paid a base salary and not some commission structure like the type of recruiter you guys are thinking about.

8. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

OK bitch. @connemara

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Many in-house recruiters get bonuses based on hires. Also, because they are not making the actual hiring decision, and because the realization that an employee sucks usually doesn't come until some time after they're hired, HR recruiters tend not to get a lot of blowback (unless they fail to do some sort of routine due diligence that is part of their job description). It's their job to get candidates in the door - it's up to the substantive business managers to decide whether or not to hire them.

It's also possible that their online system sucks and she's either unaware that you got a rejection or that she knows the system sucks (many of them do) and is going to try to work around it.

Anyway, good luck GF.
    She also might just like you. Is she cute?

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Not to say they aren't just being sincerely themselvse, but they're not "just friends" - they're co-stars in Waiting for Godot, aren't they? (Thus the hats, I think.) Not knowing anything about either of their personalities or personal lives, my first reaction was to wonder whether the poses were some sort of affectation/exercise/character-inhabiting related to the play.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014

11. Piobaire

Vanna! :inlove:

12. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Papabaire! <3

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Woah, you're still alive!

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

[​IMG]

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I don't understand the phenomenon of dude with womens purses

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just looks very odd. Like you're holding the bag for your girlfriend but no girlfriend in sight

And wow didn't realize but jeans on the first dude is tiiiiight.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014