• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i can see a lot of fun being had with that.

many years ago, i had a group of friends that would go to this pizza place and order something like 60 or 80 wings EACH. Then they'd kill it all, go out onto the street, and chug warm watter. The street ended up looking like a murder scene, and cars would stop to see what was going on.

lol that sounds awesome. There was this weird kid in high school who would go to this chinese buffet place and eat till he puked, eat more, puke. He would do this like 3 times. He was fucked up.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Its an "Idaho Stop" because the law there allows something along the lines of "cyclists may treat a stop sign at an empty intersection as a yield sign" and maybe a similar downgrade to stop sign for red lights. Other areas have similar rules, but I think it was originally statewide in Idaho, hence the name.

Personally, when I ride, I tend to do something similar even though it is not the rule here. I might treat an empty red light as a stop sign--come to a stop and then proceed through if clear. A stop sign gets to behave like a yield of there are no turning or crossing cars--slow down before entering, look both ways, but not actually come to a complete stop (then again, I rarely see cars actually come to a complete stop...so they are all breaking the law too).

Of course if it is a stoplight intersection with traffic, I will sit there and wait for the green. And if there are other cars at a 4-way stop, I will come to a stop and give them their turns (e.g. I will go when the car next to me, travelling the same direction, has their turn and goes). I actually don't really like it when someone tries to wave me through an intersection (especially if they aren't the only other car there)--I should be waiting my turn, I have already made the effort to stop, and then the person behind them will see me zip through and think I am some asshole cyclist (since they didn't see me get waved at). Its a nice gesture, but it kind of breaks everybody's flow.

Thank you for being a reasonable cyclist.

Also, I support your stop sign approach. Stop signs are stupid and pointless, and they should all be changed to yield signs.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think all should be changed to yield signs. It depends, come on, man. Safety and stuff.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
on somewhat of a similar note, i was at this house party when i was like 18, and one of my friends got trashed and decided to make a pizza from scratch. did he know how to do it? no.

that house was trashed.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't think all should be changed to yield signs. It depends, come on, man. Safety and stuff.

What does a stop sign do that a yield sign can't, aside from generate revenue in the form of fines for failure to come to a complete stop?

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i can see a lot of fun being had with that.
many years ago, i had a group of friends that would go to this pizza place and order something like 60 or 80 wings EACH. Then they'd kill it all, go out onto the street, and chug warm watter. The street ended up looking like a murder scene, and cars would stop to see what was going on.

:lol: that's hilarious… I don't get it, but hilarious nonetheless.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What does a stop sign do that a yield sign can't, aside from generate revenue in the form of fines for failure to come to a complete stop?

I don't know if a 4 way yield would work.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't know if a 4 way yield would work.

Sure it would. What makes it any different than a four-way stop? There's a protocol that dictates right-of-way that isn't undermined at all by making them yield signs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I used to be pretty heavily into road cycling. I can tell you cyclists are other cyclists worst enemies. The vast majority are spandex clad douchebags and they get treated by motorists as they deserve to be treated. Problem is there's no sign on your back to tell motorists you're not a douchebag too so you get the same treatment. People in cars need to think hard too though, as a fit and muscular 6'4" 23 year old man on a bike, loses every argument with a 98# grandma behind the wheel.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sure it would. What makes it any different than a four-way stop? There's a protocol that dictates right-of-way that isn't undermined at all by making them yield signs.

I think the more sensible solution would be to loosely enforce the rolling stop thing.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think the more sensible solution would be to loosely enforce the rolling stop thing. 

So, then, treat them like yield signs?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads