1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

100%.
    Then dumb it down for the taste buds over here. Also, they can't get the best/truest ingredients here in NY no matter what they say or who the chef is.

Joya by me is ok.....very inexpensive for good portions.
    Pok Pok is overpriced and built on the chef's reputation.

The most authentic thing at both places is the Asian bottled beer.

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i mean, limited ingredients certainly do come in to play, but i feel like 90% of any thai curry dish is some little variant on a protein + some veg + a fuck load of coconut milk + curry. And all too often they use shit ingredients and dull the taste to suit the crappy American palate.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

You can't go wrong with Thailand.....

Cathay had a sale just recently for fares to various Asian cities. NYC to Bangkok(by way of HK) was appr $850 economy vs appr $1300 regularly. You had to travel before March(I believe) and the only blackout dates were the entire month of Dec.

You could not select your seat until 48 hrs when you checked in online. So there was a chance that I could have been stuck with a middle/window seat for the 15hr part of the flight(NY>HK and back.). Even with all my Marco Polo points, for this fare, they couldn't do anything for me.

I didn't book it. The sale ended Sept 30(or something like that.) I was going to go for 11 days and come back the Monday before Thanksgiving.

I really should have rolled the dice and booked it. I need a vacation.

A friend of mine who lives in Australia was going to meet me there(she usually does). She was upset that I didn't book it. I may go in Jan also. It's their "cool season".....which means 93-98 vs 95-100+ daily.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

That's right. They definitely don't season it like true Thai dishes. Not as spicy. They would rather add "flair" vs being true to the recipes.

Pok Pok for example say that they serve Northern Thai dishes. One of their biggest sellers is the Vietnamese fish sauce wings......Huh? People are comfortable with chicken wings seasoned in a way that they don't usually get at regular Chinese places. And Pok Pok can claim whatever recipe they wish. However, I have never seen chicken wings served as a dish in Thailand. Ever. And Vietnamese Chicken wings? :brick:

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^if you read their book or read an interview he explains the wings are to make money. one of his first employees was a thai immigrant named ike (or was it a friend from thailand?) and he had an awesome recipe for wings that he let andy use. it's why it's called ike's vietnamese wings.

basically the wings are for americans, but there is a lot of crossover between vietnamese and thailand food. like pad thai in vietnam basically translates to stir fried pho

also they dont just serve northern thai food, but they do sell more northern thai and isaan thai dishes than southern or central

i eat a lot of thai food and i find that pok pok, run by a white dude, has the most integrity.

almost all thai restaurants are americanized. like thai restaurants selling curries, sugary pad thai, and one laap would be like going to an italian restaurant that sells ny pizza, calzones, penne alla vodka, lasgnas, and one risotto. even the famous vegas ones like lotus of siam does the same just at a much higher quality and with an amazing wine list.

thai food is pretty intensely regional and people only eat the style of food their region does. like the coconut cream stuff is generally only in the south (malaysian influence) and they only eat jasmine rice. isaan thai sticks to fiery stuff and sticky rice and lots of papaya salad and laap. northern thai uses a lot of herbs and no coconut creamy curry stuff. it'd odd going to one restaurant and getting all different regions.

the one thing i really appreciated was that they go to great lengths to use herbs and vegetables that are commonly served as a side or in the dish in thaliand, but rare in the states (stuff like culantro, holy basil, pandan, kaffir limes and leaves). there's a few things they sell because it makes money (like the wings and the crappy drinks across the street), but selling whole fishes for $20, no pad whatevers or "thai waterfall fried rice", rotating laaps including a raw northern thai version (basically it's like thai tartare). that's pretty awesome. the decent wine and beer list is also pretty amazing cuz most neighborhood thai joints pretty much only offer singha and kendall jackson.

im not going to say it's the best as some dishes are overseasoned or balance is off and also prices are a few dollars higher than in your neighborhood americanized do it all thai restaurant, but i dont know of another thai restaurant that strives for the same integrity. importing and using only the exact herbs and vegetables and ingredients you're used to in your dishes instead of using the stuff you can easily get from cisco has to add up in costs.

if you dont want to pay the few extra dollars (goddamn plebs) for better produce then there's a few good isaan thai places in nyc too where the laap is pretty good. larb ubol near port authority and zabb elee in the east village were the ones i went to a lot. it's so painful to eat but so damn addicting. the best ones i've been to were in queens tho which was a little far. but they all just use persian limes, thai basil (thai people use holy basil a whole lot more but in the states its very hard to find), cilantro, beansprouts, peanut sauce (which is indonesian not thai), etc. they're good and cheap but it shows. i've yet to even find a place that specializes in central or southern thai

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I did read that about the wings either online somewhere..or in some newspaper.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Loc Lac is awesome and incredibly simple to make. That was one of the best things I learned in Cambodia.

8. otc

otc Senior member

Y'alls are making me want to go to the one relatively authentic thai place (in the sea of thai places that is chicago) recommended by kwilk and grant achatz.

Haven't been in a while, but the "secret" menu (originally the thai language menu, helpfully translated by some guy on a local food website or something) has some pretty cool stuff.

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

fuck restaurants with secret menus.

1 person likes this.
  10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My dick is a secret menu.

1 person likes this.
  11. otc

otc Senior member

Well, it's not that well hidden
    [​IMG]

I find a lot of asian restaurants do similar things...probably to dissuade people from ordering the more "out there" dishes and then writing a bad yelp review about how gross the food was. Lots of restaurants in chinatown here have "specials" posted on the wall around the restaurant in chinese only. Our usual destination at least has the courtesy of sticking stuff on the menu under "very chinese specialties" where you can find great stuff such as "Sliced Beef and Maw Szechuan Style", but even there, there are things that you won't get unless you ask for them (at least if you aren't chinese)

I suppose I kind of understand it...you can stay in business selling white people the typical fare, but still offer the weirder foods to those who know what they want.

1 person likes this.
  12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I don't get the iPhone 6

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I don't get IPhone 1 ..

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

generally i find it's not a deliberate secret menu thing where they try to dissuade white people from trying weird things, but it's more like some people want food that's similar to what they're used to eating so they customize things or ask for a certain dish thats relatively easy to make that they're fond of but not actually on the menu

pretty darn sure most ethnic restaurants dont care enough to appeal to hipsters and make a menu meant to be secret and cool

15. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I recently discovered that the brothel I go to has a "secret menu" so to speak just basically different kinds of "ladies" they are willing to make available upon request. When I found out I was upset, but they explained that if the regular customers accidentally ordered one of the secret items, they would end up being PO'd to where they'd write scathing reviews or maybe even throw punches. I had to admit that was a good reason.

2 people like this.
  16. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Is the brothel in East St Louis?

17. L'Incandescent

No, I do not venture into East St. Louis for that service (or for any other). I go to the elite brothels of St. Louis, which are in the best parts of the city. (They have Imo's pizza in the lobby sometimes!)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

I feel like this didn't get the attention it deserved.

19. L'Incandescent

A lot of times people say "Happy Birthday" on Facebook to famous people who have been dead for a long time.

20. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Why is there gender designated single person public bathrooms?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014