1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Betimes I re-realize that my sense of how much space should be between people is not the same as others' senses of how much space should be between people. In my office I have my "guest chair" at a distance of four feet from my chair. But sometimes students pull the guest chair right up next to me to where I'm like "Whoa that is uncomfortably close!" (This happened today.)

1 person likes this.
  2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Except L'inc. L'inc will never get dick punched

1 person likes this.
  3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

It is the pink pants and his perfect academia persona.

1 person likes this.
  4. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

Place one can on your visitor chair and another on your desk. Problem solved.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  5. L'Incandescent

I think I'm in the midst of grading the worst set of exams i've ever graded (for logic class). I told the students to make sure not to get the definitions wrong; that's just memorization and they should regard those as free points. If you're going to lose points, lose them on the hard questions. Well wouldn't you know it they're losing lots of points on the definitions. I even told them which definitions would be on the exam. How do you lose points on the definitions?

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe you're just having a brain fart (temporary lapse of memory) and didn't tell them which definitions to remember?

7. L'Incandescent

If anyone wants to refer to Albuquerque as "Duke City," they are well within their rights to do so (Constitution). But I am also within my rights to say things like "That is a ridiculous nickname for a city" or "Jiminy Crickets!"

1 person likes this.
  8. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

It will always be Albucracky to me.

1 person likes this.
  9. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I don't understand young single men with no dependents that join the national guard. It makes sense for someone that is already settled in an area and has a family, and wants the benefits. Most of the guardsmen I know are in their 20's, live at home, sleep until 3pm and play video games. The guard is their only job and their facialbook is full of military crap. Why not just do active duty?

1 person likes this.
  10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Maybe this has something to do with it?

3 people like this.
  11. L'Incandescent

The only song I skip on the new U2 record is the one they released as a single (on account of don't enjoy it). Either they chose the worst song as the single or my taste is way different from others'.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I really enjoy using SF and I appreciate the effort that goes into running the place, including by the volunteer mods.

With all respect to Fok, though, ruling out the need to have a minimum number of posts before you can start a thread, as he's worried that it might deter new users, is to my mind a bit disrespectful of the volunteer mods. There's a clear tension here - SF is a money-making venture for Fok (and I don't begrudge him that) so he doesn't want to dissuade new members as they can increase viewer numbers thus ad and affiliate revenue but, on the other hand, a lot of work on SF is done by unpaid volunteers. So, Fok's decision to not impose a minimum post limit benefits him, but in doing so, it increases the amount of work for the unpaid, volunteer mods. That, to me, seems a bit inconsiderate or unfair to the mods.

Of course, I don't know what the mods themselves think - perhaps they're entirely fine with having to devote a considerable chunk of their time to deleting spam threads.

Even if the solution is something other than putting in place a requirement to have a minimum number of posts - even if it's time based (ie be a member for x days) or "like" based or putting in place a requirement that a user can only create a new thread every ten minutes or something like that - I do think that something should be done.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that since SF moved to the Huddler platform, the amount of spam threads, the amount of pop-ups, the amount of malware ads and so on has become much, much, much worse. As I said, I could be wrong, but that's probably not a coincidence and it would be great if something could be done about it as I assume that the mods don't enjoy dealing with it and I know for a fact that run-of-the-mill SF members are exasperated by it, too.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    5 people like this.
  13. otc

otc Senior member

The huddler platform simply lacks many of the controls we take for granted on other systems.

That's not really an excuse though. Huddler is a non free platform so presumably there are paid developers working on the back end. Solving live-person spam is not easy, but not letting them post 50 new threads the day they sign up should be a simple change. If huddler's devs can't make that happen, there is something seriously wrong. Maybe they over promised, or over extended to other communities (or just wanted to sign up a few big forums, take their money, and use them to attract smaller private groups that won't have similar scaling issues)

For all we know, Fok is super pissed about their poor customer service, but is still under a multi year contract and can't just leave (not to mention very high switching costs, user anger, and the fact that there may not be many good alternatives for a forum this size).

Whatever it is, it is really hard to think that the spam issue persists due to the neglect of SF staff. If there were a switch to flip, flipping it would have taken far less effort than has been spent responding to complaints.

4 people like this.
  14. L'Incandescent

When I make posts on FB about how my pants are the same color as my car everyone be like "WOOHOO kickass post!!!" but when I post on important things such as Dutch Calvanous faith everyone be like "Man I ain't even care about Dutch Calvanous."

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Calvanous, or Calvinist?

Anyway, it's not surprising that no-one responded in depth to your posts on religion. Everyone knows that FB/Instagram/Tumblr are all for posting self-promoting rubbish, not for serious religious or socio-political discussions!

16. patrickBOOTH

I'm not certain I even know what the national guard is.

17. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

They're Soldiers light if you want to use a Coca's metaphor.

18. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

The National Guard is a reserve component of the military that may also be used by states. It also differs from the Reserves in that the NG has combat units.

It's generally a good time if you're in a line unit.

19. patrickBOOTH

How is it different from the army, military, marines... I honestly have no idea what the difference between any of them are. I never had much interest in such things. I do know the navy deals with boats, however.

20. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

That is much too broad of a question to be answered. Google it.