Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MrG

MrG Senior member

I'm not a chemist, but I've always thought there was a pretty strong relationship between lather and cleaning, since lather is a byproduct of the surfactants that clean by lowering surface tension.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

that may be true that lathering

:fu:

i don't want to argue

lathering might help clean, but isn't the main point of soap to clean? so if it cleans well without lathering that much isn't that fine? most modern soaps and toothpaste have foaming agents like sodium laureth sulfate to foam more and dr bronners doesn't. all i was saying dr bronners won't lather as much as the soaps you're used to.

3. MrG

MrG Senior member

:laugh:

I saw your late New Year's resolution in the other thread after I made that post.

If it cleans well, then lathering is definitely secondary. I was just thinking there's a relationship between ability to clean and tendency to lather when it comes to soap, but I may be incorrect.

Either way, in an attempt to support your resolution, I won't keep harping on it.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Just my intuition, but I think the lather is mostly useful in transporting grime away from the surface. Most moderns soaps/cleaners that use foaming agents do it because it looks more effective to have it foam like crazy, not because it's actually better. There's a balance there, like adding too much soap to your washing machine actually makes it less effective.

This is not an endorsement of Dr Bonners, although I do like their bar soaps just for the luxuriousness.

6. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Since I started all of this I feel obligated to say that the Dr. Bronner's lathers better than the Le Labo I was using.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i hope the le labo was a gift. i can't imagine paying $50 for 16 oz of soap

8. MrG

MrG Senior member

I thought the lather was a byproduct of the type of surfactants they use in soap, which is why I was thinking less lather would mean a less effective soap (since it would mean it was short on the stuff that makes soap work). It would also make sense that lather is correlated with better cleaning if you think about how much easier it is to clean your hands with soft water, which yields much more lather than hard.

I have read that many soaps add stuff to further increase the lather, too, so maybe there's a threshold of surfactant/lather that is critical that falls well below what's produced by most popular soaps. If that's the case, it would explain why Bronner's could be just as effective as any other soap despite lower levels of lather-creating surfactants.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Christmas. The scent is pretty great but not worth $50 particularly if you shower before bed.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  10. MrG

MrG Senior member

I should add that the soap I use is organic goat's milk soap handmade on a farm in rural Kentucky. I've been using it for years now, and it's awesome. Also, at some point I gave it a try as a shaving soap, too. I found that it really works well, especially the mint scent, with its only weakness being that it's a bit drying when used on facial skin. Based on my observation, they're currently working on a formulation that will keep all of the current properties while adding better moisturizers.

So, I mean, it's cool and all that you guys use stuff you can get at the mall or whatever, but get back to me when you've started thinking outside the Irish Spring box.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I bet it's made from a male goat's milk

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

virgin male. and by milk you mean sperm

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

MrG washes his face and body with goat jizz!

:laugh:

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

You write that as if it's a bad thing.

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

that peppermint stuff is pretty good. not necessarily for the tingly ballz factor, but it's good.

it's very good for the skin and collagen... especially on the face. (at least that's what I tell the ladies :smarmy:)