Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

My favorite story is A Farewell to Arms. All your stories can SUCK IT!

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I don't understand how a major news media can simply report on another article as their own article. Or how they can make a story out of a few tweets.

I was reading a huffington post article on the founder of bitcoin only to realize it was a rephrasing of a timesweek article. Literally did no additional research or provide any new content.

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Huffingtonpost is not a news source it is a "news aggregator" and a place for morons to vent in the comment section.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

this "accurate representation" Barbie doll. Would not tap.

5. otc

otc Senior member

Is that like the Hemingway Judaism/Old Testament compared to For Whom the Bell Tolls' New Testament Christianity?

AFtA seems a little more Jewish. FWtBT has some Jesus-action going on (with America as god). In the end, America's only son gives himself to save the Spaniards (both literally and figuratively by fighting in their conflict). There's also some rebirth action when he is betrayed by one of his group, who steals the igniters and kills the mission...only to have the protagonist improvise a solution to revive the demolition missue (while also welcoming the betrayer back into the fold).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

6. otc

otc Senior member

Its old news too...dunno why it is going around again.

I think the problem is...its a toy and not a person. So while it might actually match a person, it looks wrong (uncanny valley might play a part too). There is a reason toys and charactertures over emphasize the most notable and defining characteristics...it makes it more immediately recognizable even though it is actually less accurate.

Barbie is skinny and has big boobs to make her blatantly feminine compared to Ken (or other figures). GI Joe has gigantic muscles to make him obviously a badass compared to Ken.

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

GI Joe's giant muscles and smooth crotch gave me body-image issues, since I'm a skinny dude with a giant schlong.

8. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I don't know which is worse, Huffington Post or Buzzfeed. Probably the former because their site is horrendous and Buzzfeed at least has some quizzes you can do

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

this is true but i've been noticing it more and more from a lot places. i guess the huffington post model works

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

isn't this what happens with AP articles too? like CNNSI.com articles are often times just AP articles, sometimes ESPN.com comes out with an initial AP article then will sprinkle in some insight/in-house authored differences later.

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

This. Ain't nothin' new under the sun.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

one of my most notoriously difficult profs in college gave us an AP article once and had us comb it over for grammatical and punctuation errors. There was an absurd amount of errors.

he then went on a rant about the state of journalism, discussed a few things we should be reading instead, and then kindly ended his rant with "this author probably went to a state school".

I signed up for another class from him.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Yes, except the AP is at least a journalistic organization that sends reporters and photographers all over. Then papers that aren't able to cover something, can pay to run the AP story.

HuffPo sources their articles from random bloggers, and I believe most of them are unpaid (but their blog gets EXPOSURE!!!).

Somebody once told me that BuzzFeed actually had a pretty decent politics/news journalism team if you go to that section of their site. Its just not the kind of viral stuff that gets slapped on everyone's facebooks and thus you never see it.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

This is true. I wanted to read more on the bitcoin founder and read more articles but they were all reduxes of the original article with even the same quotes and same turn of phrases with no addition content but published like they were reporting it. I just felt like this happened way too often. I can't believe people get paid to summarize and republish other peoples work. A quick blurb and a hyperlink would be the same thing with less work but this seems more like plagiarism even with the crediting

Another thing I don't get is this woman reporting on the founder knew he really preferred his privacy and knew she was screwing him over by inviting press to come fuck his life up yet still published the story with a picture of the house and employment history and all. Harasses him for a few weeks, even pretending to be only interested in his model trains, but in the end just trying to get her story so she can get paid

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

15. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Don't know about CNNSI or ESPN but CNN.com has to pay to use the AP article. As far as I know Huffingtonpost just links to the original article without payment, or worse, just cuts and pastes the article without attribution.