1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. wojt

wojt Senior member

I also don't get why you are so mean all the time Bhowie
    you're a moron too so you should be sympathetic to me at least

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

what the fuck is Andray Blatche doing on the Philippines national basketball team?!

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

you can see the filipino in him?

[​IMG]

^that motherfucker could be Manny Pacquiao's brother.

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I mean, I get the naturalization rules, but has he ever lived in the Philippines? at least Serge Ibaka was a Spanish resident for awhile and got citizenship the normal way.

this story is funny - the Philippine president had to sign a decree saying that he was now a citizen, after the country qualified for the World Cup

1 person likes this.
  5. otc

otc Senior member

http://gawker.com/seat-reclining-wars-escalate-as-second-flight-is-divert-1628328481

Why does Gawker have some crusade against reclining your seat on flights? I know there are people who are not in favor of it, but it is not a majority of people (I saw a survey that said about 30% never recline, 30% always recline, and 30% don't care and sometimes do it). But Gawker keeps writing these articles like it is a crime against humanity.

The french dude was clearly in the wrong. The recent flight stoppages over reclining have made it 100% clear that passengers are allowed to recline.
    -In the knee-defender incident earlier this week, things only escalated after the flight attendant ordered the guy to remove them (because you are not allowed to use something that stops the seat from reclining) and he refused.
    -In this incident, the flight attendants didn't tell the front passenger not to recline, they told the back passenger to harden the fuck up (and his failure to do so diverted a flight which makes him a huge dickbag).

Clearly if public opinion was so decided on the recline issue, the flight attendants wouldn't be protecting people's right to recline (and the new airplane seats wouldn't have the feature). As a big tall dude, I don't give a shit if the person in front of me reclines. Yeah, maybe my big laptop won't fit on the tray table...but it still fits in my lap. As far as comfort goes, someone reclining in front of me doesn't impact it...but I am much more comfortable with the seat reclined a couple inches since the "head" rests tend to be right at my shoulders, but when I recline a bit, they no longer dig into my back.

Finally, if you hate reclining so much, you can go fly spirit or ryanair. They don't have a recline button. Unfortunately, I still think that the airlines are all going to go this route. The conspiracy theorist in me suspects that they've got Gawker on the airline payroll: if they can sway public opinion into hating reclining seats, they can stop paying to have them on their planes...save a few hundred pounds of hardware, get people to pay for "Economy Plus" with reclining seats, whatever.

6. otc

otc Senior member

Also, sitting in one position for a long time is pretty bad for your body. I would wager that those couple of inches of recline are enough of a change in how the weight sits on your spine that switching back and forth a couple of times during a Miami-Paris flight (such as when food service comes) would be sufficient to ease a lot of back strain.

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Speaking as someone who flies a lot of long haul international (although in fairness, it's about 70% in business class), I can say that a few degrees of recline helps without a doubt. Even the difference between economy and economy comfort, which is literally a few extra degrees, is palpable.

1 person likes this.
  8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

cathay pacific had these coach seats that would "recline" but actually only just slip forward where you can recline, but you end up just using the space in front of you and virtually no space behind you.

it was a good idea in theory, but didn't actually work in practice.

9. otc

otc Senior member

The thing is...the recline pivot is at seat height anyways. So while the top of the seat moves a few inches, it really doesn't move that much at knee height. (between zero at the pivot and less than an inch anywhere within the realm of "knee height").

I think half of the people who are against it, really just want to use their full size laptops on the tray table...and make excuses about knees. That, or they either slouch and push their knees way out or like to sit with their legs crossed (or are one of those assholes who tries to use the seat in front of them as a footrest) and somehow manage to get their knees win the way despite being 6" shorter than me.

This guy I went to HS with gets super worked up about this issue on facebook. He's kind of short (and lost a ton of weight, so its not like he has fat forcing him forwards)...no way his knees are getting bashed if he sits in the chair like an adult. In fact, I eventually did see him admit in the comments of one of his posts (made while on a plane, bitching about the person in front of him) that he was upset because his laptop couldn't fit at the ideal viewing angle to watch some shitty tv show.

He posted the link to the gawker article with the caption "I'll just keep 'accidentally' kicking your seat throughout the flight."...asshole.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

At least Chris Kaman can pass for Nazi.

To another post above: the answer to "Why does Gawker . . ." questions is always that they're idiotic douchebags.

I miss having Jetblast around for us to abuse when we're bitching about airline policies and practices.

1 person likes this.
  11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I tried those! HKG to Singapore iirc. They did feel weird...not necessarily bad, but the operation felt strange to me. It's the same concept in business class lie-flat beds too, btw. The chairs go down and forward

12. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    I don't get adults who go to Disney parks because they enjoy it. I have a friend, really the wife of a friend, in Florida who took the day off work to celebrate her birthday at Disney World. She has a kid, but this was clearly for the adult.

There's a woman at work whose son is grown and out of the house, and she and her husband go to Disney for vacation. She said they like it even better without a little one in tow.

There's another woman I know on Facebook, and she and her wife post all the time about Disney. They have no children.

I know trips to Disney are in my future because I have kids, and it will be fun to see them enjoy it, but how in the hell do grown men and women enjoy the place on its own merits?

3 people like this.
  13. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

^ I don't get that either. I also don't get how expensive Disney World is. It is like $100/person now.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've only been there once, but I hated it.

15. otc

otc Senior member

Are they potheads?

A while back there was an article about smoking pot in disney world. There are forums out there where people have carefully cataloged all of the places where you can get away with it...I think there was even an NYT article that made reference to it (but didn't go into detail).

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

17. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

These folks generally save on tickets because they're mostly Floridians, but, yeah, the cost is outrageous.

I haven't been to a Disney theme park in decades. I liked it as a kid, but, aside from taking my own kid to see it, I can't fathom wanting to go back.

Nope. Not a pothead in the lot as far as I know.

The people in that article are amateurs. You can totally get away with it just about anywhere. Like, say, you were going to a show at the House of Blues there. You could get away with walking around Downtown Disney and toking if you roll it with a cigarette.

Or at least you could years ago.

I've heard.

18. otc

otc Senior member

Pretty sure there is zero smoking in Disney these days. A few designated areas that take you away from the kids but people would probably notice the smell crammed into the little smoking area.

19. Kira

Kira Senior member

Those bastards.

I reserve my right to smoke ANYWHERE and ANYTIME.

20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I know a couple in their late '70s who go to Disneyland every couple of years. I find it very weird, and a little creepy, but I think the truth is that they miss their grandkids, none of whom live in their time zone.