• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BBQ joints that don't serve cornbread. Stupid Californians.

how can you have BBQ without some good cornbread. I think I will make some tomorrow. Perhaps roast and chop some poblano peppers. I wished I had my mom's recipe. That's was the shiiiiizzzz. It wasn't sweet and did not have a fine texture. mmmm.....

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ my college roommate and I used to make some pretty off the wall cornbread with finely chopped habaneros and a brown sugar, crumbly top. sometimes we'd add some raisins into the mix as well.. the sweet & spicy combo was just delicious.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cornbread should not be sweet.

To steal a quote from Hugh Acheson: "Cornbread should not have sugar in it. That's cake."

Do they at least give you a big slice of white bread? I actually prefer that to cornbread with BBQ, and I love cornbread.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At Hill Country in DC they have some bread from Texas that is made with a ton of butter. It is the most amazing bread in the world. I can never remember the name though, I think it has butter in the name.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Barbecue is something you eat, not something you do.

ORLY....

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

korea does this too. i never understood why

also korea has stinky bathrooms no matter where you go its not like they don't clean it

maybe the spices from all that kimchi stinks up their pee or sumtin'

Do they at least give you a big slice of white bread? I actually prefer that to cornbread with BBQ, and I love cornbread.

the limited moments I got to eat good bbq over the past years (specially that little shack in livingston, louisiana) they put white bread on it... never had cornbread with my bbq.

SchwererGustav

Reaction score
also korea has stinky bathrooms no matter where you go its not like they don't clean it

maybe the spices from all that kimchi stinks up their pee or sumtin'

I never noticed when I was living in Korea. My friends did tease, though, that was I was very Korean for a Westerner - perhaps that's why I didn't notice or care.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How come so many Chinese women use Grace as their Anglicized name?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How come so many Chinese women use Grace as their Anglicized name?

I don't think it is and Anglicization of anything--just a common English name amongst Chinese American women. I have no idea why it is seemingly more popular, but a couple of guesses:

1. Lots of Chinese Americans are Christian.
2. As an immigrant group, Chinese Americans are generally less familiar with which names are fashionable amongst the mainstream and disproportionately select names that are traditional but presently less common.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't actually know if the women I have in mind are Chinese-American or not. It occurred to me because we have a lot of visiting professors here, and the nameplates on their offices often have "Grace" written in parentheses between Chinese-looking first and last names.

My Anglicized name is "Dutch" (named myself after pro wrestler Dutch Mantel).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Regardless, it is difficult to Anglicize most Chinese names. Chinese Americans born here are typically given an official and social name in English and a completely unrelated Chinese name that usually exists just for the sake of tradition. Even when I've visited family in Taiwan who can only speak Chinese, I'm still called "Matthew." Well, more like "Meh - tiu." In contrast, my Chinese name sounds completely different and virtually nobody ever uses it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads