1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Is a 5-door sedan a...station wagon? That's not too different from a mini van...

2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

How is this still going on?

Facts:
    -Minivans are really great for families with kids
    -Minivans are incredibly lame for that very reason
    -Minivans are also ugly and fill other drivers with rage with their wide backs resembling their driver's wide bottom
    -Minivan drivers tend to be slow and generally annoying drivers

Time for a new discussion.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Speak for yourself, sometimes I like driving behind a minivan's wide back and watching whatever spongebob episode the kids are watching on their overhead DVD screen

4 people like this.
  4. MrG

MrG Senior member

I'm gonna go buy a minivan, get some of those stick figure family stickers, go take pictures of me holding up traffic, and make it my avatar just to piss E off.

There won't be a fatass driving, though. I don't hang out with fat chicks.

3 people like this.
  5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Oh man, how did you know I hate those family stickers too?

1 person likes this.
  6. MrG

MrG Senior member

Because all reasonable people agree they're horrible, and, despite our differences, I recognize that you're a reasonable human being.

1 person likes this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

G, you need to get the minivan sticker of all minivan stickers: Baby on Board.

Oh, you have a baby on board? Why yes, instead of t-boning you, why I'll run head on into that cement truck!

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i can understand the utility of a minivan when you have 4 awful children.

i can NOT understand the people who work basic office jobs, maybe have some kids, are somewhat handy around the house ... and buy these stupid pickup trucks.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

pB approved:

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

No kids, handy enough but always hire contractors for work around the house...and I never quite shake at least considering another PU every lease cycle.

Want.

I need to make an addition though. Two cats need to be sitting on the bags.

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Very very true..

12. MrG

MrG Senior member

How did I forget "Baby on Board!?" I once read an article that tied the proliferation of those stickers to millennial entitlement. I thought that was an interesting idea.

Pretty much all "I have kids" stickers are dumb, but I'm not a fan of the spiteful ones, either. No need to be a dick to people who are basically just advertising that they love their families, albeit in a dorky-ass way.

My next ride will almost certainly be a full-size truck. Aside from the Jeep, my truck was probably the favorite among all the cars I've owned. I don't need a truck, but I enjoyed driving it. They're also super convenient on the of occasions where you do need it, and I'm hoping I'll need the power to pull a boat at some point in the life of my next vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Princess on board is making me cringe...

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

not trying to rag on you, but this brings up another thing i don't get:

people who own fancy boats but live miles away from any water source.

my parents own multiple boats, and they live a whole acre away from the dock ... and even though the boats stay in the water at all times, it's still a total pain in the ass to get them ready to go out. The idea of having to haul a boat to the water is just dumb. Between prepping the boat while out of water, getting it to the water, getting it in the water, getting the car safely to a lot with the big toe thing, prepping the boat to go through the water - you just devoted an entire day, mostly of labor, just for that ride.

1 person likes this.
  15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

my friends and I once had the idea of making a bunch of stickers that said "so please excuse my shitty driving" with the intent of sticking them right below any "baby on board" stickers we saw in parking lots. Never got around to it.

16. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I have a decal on my car says "I do not have any children on board on account of abandoned them."

4 people like this.
  17. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

No. Regurgitation. Food was prolly poisonous.

Argument noted. Also note that I am the guy that when he moved out of the city and had to buy a vehicle for two people and a dog --- bought a Ford Expedition (It was one of the few SUV's that were still built on a truck frame with real 4WD and could tow and haul anything I ever could want ). I don't have to drive to work frequently and I also tend to keep vehicles and drive them until the repairs cost more than the vehicle is worth, so I bought the vehicle I needed in a few years not right then.

18. MrG

MrG Senior member

I've considered the hassle factor, and it's possible I'll opt for wet storage, or dry storage at a marina, when (if) the time comes. This isn't something imminent that I've fully planned out, just a goal.

That said, you have to keep a couple things in mind. One, I'm not talking about a big cabin cruiser here. I'll probably go with something like a bowrider that I can use to cruise and pull kids in tubes and such. Two, I have access to a number of places to use a boat, buy they're not connected by navigable waters. That means keeping it stored near water rules out, or seriously complicates, a lot of great options.

Still, boat ownership is a huge hassle, and that fact hasn't gone unnoticed. You have to love the water to really make it worth it (I do). One alternative I've considered is researching a boat club. I dont know a whole lot about them, but it might make more sense than ownership.

I can definitely see how the big SUV could work as "insurance" against breaking down and buying the minivan.

19. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I don't know if my boat is fancy but I live an hour away from it and do fine. Are you talking about trailered boats that need to be launched every time?

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

huge, huge, hassle. All of it, cabin cruiser or 14' pond skipper. Even undoing the 87 buttons for the protective cover is a hassle ... and then reconnecting them after all day on the water is an even bigger hassle. And all of it is $$$$$.

it's a blast, but just remember that its all a giant and expensive headache.