1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I was thinking more JDL.

1 person likes this.
  2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Front-loading washing washing machines. Wtf is the point of having a machine that makes it more difficult to put the clothes into and then you can't open once you start the cycle? I've never used one but the house we rented a few weeks ago had one and I never wanted to do laundry again with that piece of shit.

3. MrG

MrG Senior member

You can definitely open them mid cycle. I can't recall how it worked with the first one we owned, but the one we have now has a pause button designed for just that feature.

As for why, they're much more efficient, for one. They use a lot less water and detergent than top-load washers. However, more importantly to the SF crowd is that they're dramatically gentler on clothes.

We've had two front-load washers over the last 7.5 years, and my clothes seriously do not wear out. They last forever. It actually kind of sucks sometimes because I can never use the, "I need this because mine is wearing out" excuse to justify buying an updated or better-quality version.

As for ease of use, it hasn't ever really bothered me to bend over for 10 seconds, but I know they make stands to move them up some.

4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ hmmmm. Well I have limited experience with just the one that was in this place in Venice (CA). I didn't realize they are gentler on the clothes. I'm sure it wasn't top of the line anyway, but once it started I found an extra sock and wanted to throw it in but I couldn't open the door. Wouldn't all the water and shit come out if you opened it? I dunno… maybe I'll find a nicer one and be convinced. I guess I have a weird fondness for being able to open the top and see all my clothes sloshing around in there. :happy:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Far more disturbing to me, and interesting, is that there's a Senate hearing room in one of the office buildings with the same type of sign. There's a door up there with a big sign, in all caps, saying "NOT THE CLOAKROOM" (the cloakroom is the antechamber Senators use to go in and out of hearings). I always wondered how many Senators stumbling into some poor staffer's office, janitorial closet, or whatever the hell that room is it takes to get a sign like that. I always get a laugh whenever I walk by it.

6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

There are people I know who think they are "purists" to where if someone in a restaurant besays bruschetta ("broo-SHET-ta") they are all on the scene with "Oh please, please, broo-SKAY-ta per favore let's have some class here come on!" And yet these same buns-heads, when they beorder more than one pizza, would never dream of saying "pizze." I wonder why purism doesn't ever get as far as "pizze?"

(Also, my "purist" friends sound like Mario in Mario-Kart or whatever the hell it is "Ahh ma gonna winna!")

1 person likes this.
  7. Harold falcon

L'inscerroneous, never change.

8. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Don't mention metric or I'll blow my stack!

And Canada? Really? We are discussing countries here, not frozen U.S. territories.

9. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Got a laugh out of that, now I do know Canada's most famous comedian.

1 person likes this.
  10. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Use honey, they love that stuff.

11. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

What the fuck is this cocksucking world coming to? Conne makes a worthwhile post? Cunt

12. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

p.s. Anyone who doesn't appreciate a good David Mitchell rant is a cocksucker.

13. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

That's all they have, 99.9% of people on British TV are stand up comics. Every show, including news programs is a panel shows with wall to wall stand up comics.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  14. MrG

MrG Senior member

Nah, water doesn't come out when you open it because there's not that much water in there in the first place. Part of the efficiency is the fact that it doesn't fill the drum with water like a top loader does. When you pause the load, it takes a moment for the door to unlock, and, by the time that happens, what little water is in there has settled to the bottom.

They're gentler on clothes because they tumble, rather than oscillate and twist your clothes up like a top loader does. Also, they spin much faster than top loaders, so the clothes come out of the wash drier and spend less time getting beat up by the dryer.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The ones I have owned pump the water out when you hit the pause button--takes it about 10 seconds after hitting the button before you can open it.

I also prefer the front-loaders at this point, precisely for the reasons you listed. We moved into an apartment recently with a top-loader, and it sucks going back to it. I shouldn't complain too much because I have the ultimate New York luxury, an in-unit washer/dryer, but it's definitely a step down from the front loader we had previously.

16. Harold falcon

Some of us have to keep the washer we have because it still works and we can't afford a new high efficiency front loader. Check your #frontloaderprivilege.

4 people like this.
  17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My company gave me shares of its stock as part of my bonus. Thing is I don't know where they are. I have no record of this aside from what is written on the back of an envelope. Where are they? :confused:

18. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I am holding onto them for safekeeping. (Company was worried that you'd buy shoes with them straightaway.)

2 people like this.
  19. Harold falcon

They gave them to a Ukranian firm to manage.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored