1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i'm not arguing they're the same

i know who martin luther is but the first protestant churches seem pretty similar to catholicism. i've been to lutheran services before and they seemed pretty similar to catholic mass (although it was quite a long time ago) especially in what munchausen pointed out as liturgical services as well as belief in transubstantiation, confession, and absolution

i guess generalizing about protestant churches was wrong. the generalization would apply more to non liturgical protestant churches.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. otc

otc Senior member

I always figured the protestant work ethic would lead to blue collar worker style drinkin!

3. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

It does.... just no one admits it.

What's the difference between a Baptist and a Methodist? The Methodist will tell you "howdy" when he sees you in the liquor store.

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Son of God. Protestants don't recognize the pope as the Ruler of the Church. Baptists don't recognize each other in a liquor store.

Q: Why do you have to take two Baptists with you when you go fishing?

A: Because if you take just one, he'll drink all your beer.

1 person likes this.
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You're making a fundamental error here: I have no story. Also, in the real world? People don't just laugh at each other's stories they kill each other in the millions.

Edit: btw, disclaimer here: I really have no idea my lack of a story is better than the story many of your folks have. Basically, more power to you, I don't look down on you, it's just in my vacuum of belief I cannot see why so many folks criticize other people's stories, which Inde, is what you were doing when I commented.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

That's a pretty poor way to frame his point, and it really only works if you take a rigid, rather than fluid, view of "Catholicness."

Lutheranism, being a first stab at Protestantism, is absolutely going to look a lot like Catholicism to people who were raised in a modern Protestant church. I mean, Catholicism was the groundwork from which they were working, and there hadn't been much time for Protestant churches to innovate, so to speak. It's the same reason the first cars produced looked a lot more like horse buggies than a modern Chevy.

So, yeah, it might sound funny to say that Lutheranism is "pretty close" to Catholicism, what with the former being a Protestant denomination and all, but it makes sense from the perspective of someone used to a Protestant denomination that arose many years after the first set of Protestant churches. A lot of the denominations that trace back to the earliest parts of the Reformation are "more Catholic" than much of what's out there today.

4 people like this.
  6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Speaking as a befuddled Joo, Episcopals look more catholic to me than the Catholics, what with the robes and the censers and all.

7. otc

otc Senior member

I'm obviously not an expert on christian faiths (as a godless heathen), but I was confirmed in the Lutheran church. It always felt pretty far removed from the Catholic church. I suppose there may be deeper similarities on a foundational level (certainly more so than born-again type stuff), but the day to day stylings, the politics, the customs all seem pretty distant. There also seems to be a fairly strong tradition of what I would call...limited belief...in the Lutheran church.

I mean, it's got salvation through faith alone, it's got women pastors, it seems pretty OK with the gays (even gay pastors) and condoms, doesn't have such a strong hierarchy with bishops and such.

I know it also varies much more regionally than the catholic church (lacking the whole pope hierarchy), but certainly all of the Scandinavian-descent lutheran churches are pretty anti-catholic.

8. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Can we all at least agree that people who get their forehead be-sooted at lunch on Ash Wednesday look silly as shit?

2 people like this.
  9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Thumbs up just for "besooted."

2 people like this.
  10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Betimes, people are besooted

3 people like this.
  11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So here is an honest to god true Ash Wednesday story:

About ten years ago I was party to wooing a hot shot young doctor into something. A couple of us had arranged a beautiful poolside lunch at a local resort to do the pitch to join our project. She was Hispanic, petite, with lush breasts, full lips, long wavy dark hair, the perfect golden shade of skin I love...but there was this big mark on her forehead. I kept thinking how gorgeous she was and it was a shame she had such a birthmark but god bless this beautiful thing for not even attempting to hide it.

Yeah, it was Ash Wednesday and she mentioned how she had stopped on the way to work for the blessing.

2 people like this.
  12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

School days. Practice can't be during school hours, and the evenings are for games and public stuff. Between youth hockey games, beer league, pickups, and public skates, schedules fill up pretty fast. So they stick the stuff like youth hockey practice, classes, and freestyle sessions (practice) for figure skaters in the mornings, because the demand isn't nearly as elastic for those.

Ice time is a challenge in most places. There's never enough to go around and it's always too expensive.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I never knew Dr. King had his own church

2 people like this.
  14. L'Incandescent

One of my students did make reference to Martin Lutheran King on her exam.

2 people like this.
  15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

what Mr. G said was the position I was coming from. I didn't even realize how self centered the offhand comment was.

you probably don't want to click this spoiler

no disrespect to you, but whether or not you have a story doesn't change the conversation.

in your view there is no story, which makes you laugh when people with stories argue who's story is right and wrong. which is basically the same thing you're doing only instead of arguing which story is right and wrong you're "arguing" whether having a story is right or wrong. i didn't mean to turn this in to a debate but it just struck me as a bit of tu quoque

it just seems a little disingenuous when you claim that you "have no idea [your] lack of a story is better than [other] stor[ies]" when you're laughing at people for thinking there is a story at all. if you actually had no idea if your lack of a story is better than why would people arguing over their stories be absurd enough to evoke laughter and comment from you?

there are some people that kill other people for their stories (people kill for practically any reason) but there are also plenty of people that laugh at each others stories. there are also plenty of people who had no story that killed people for having a story.

i dont understand how this debate never evolves. literally has been the same argument for the past two millennia. i also don't get how two people can come to think that their argument refutes the other persons argument and all they both do is repeat the same points to each other.

16. L'Incandescent

Jewel doesn't get enough credit for beauty wonder why?

3 people like this.
  17. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

This depends on the church. The Missouri Synod (which is the more popular church in the south) is a lot more conservative about this. The ECLA is big in the northern midwest and northeast and is pretty liberal.

The Missouri Synod also still believes, as an article of faith, that the papacy is the antichrist, so I think they would be pretty amused that people think they are just like the catholics.

18. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

so you made an ash of yourself?

:rimshot: THANK YOU! I'LL BE HERE FOR THE WEEKEND! DON'T FORGET TO TIP THE WAITRESSES!

1 person likes this.
  19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sorry, you are still framing that incorrectly. You cannot assign me a place in the "story" fight. I am outside that and this makes my comment not disingenuous in the least. The only being disingenuous here, quite frankly, is you as this all started with you poking holes in other people's stories. I am holding all stories to be of the same value and to the same purpose. You are finding the stories of other people wanting, not me. You are also continuing to mischaracterize what I said. I said specifically, "I don't look down on your for having a story" and you have translated that to, "when you're laughing at people for thinking there is a story at all." That is a faulty framing of what I said. I said I'm fine with everyone having a story but I find it funny when people want to disparage other people's stories...you know, what you're doing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014