1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

She is not funny. That's most of what I do not get about her. I can remember she was mildly funny many years ago but her fame and funniness seemed to inversely correlate.

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

I have to agree with Piob. She isn't funny to me, and the quirky shtick is more annoying to me than endearing.

Maybe I just don't understand the market (and I stand by my assertion that her market is housewives, fat or otherwise), but I don't look at her and see anything about her brand that explains her ubiquity. That being the case, I don't think it's unreasonable to look elsewhere for an explanation.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  3. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I find her consistently amusing, though admittedly what I typically see of her is something someone posted on FB or something so it is filtered by default. I watched not a second of the Oscars last night but I did laugh out loud when I read her joke presenting Anne Hathaway. But if you were watching last night, it's not surprising that she wouldn't have been funny; hosting the Oscars is a miserable task and basically everyone who attempts it fails.

Edit to respond to MrG: Obviously, as she hosts a mid-day talk show, a large part of her market is housewives, but bringing their weight and progressiveness into the picture in your post bordered on ugly, IMO. Anyways, she is ubiquitous, so obviously someone feels she has appeal. I don't find it surprising - she is likeable enough and also vanilla enough that she captures a broad audience, young and old, gay and straight, male and female, SF denizens obviously exempted, but SFers don't shop at JC Penney, so there you have it.

Anyways, you can not get her humor or not like it, the way my Dad doesn't get Conan O'Brien, and I don't get Andy Kauffman, but conceptually it's not hard to understand her success. It's much in the same vein as why Conan didn't work on the Tonight Show, and they replaced him with the far less funny (IMO) but far more cross-culturally-digestible Jimmy Fallon.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I like Ellen in general, but I didn't like her as the host of the Oscars. Her US Weekly "Stars, they're just like us! They eat pizza! They take selfies!" schtick was not a good fit for what is supposed to be the most glamourous awards show of the year. Maybe I'm an old fogey, but I'll take Billy Crystal any day.

5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

The most obviously gay dude I know thinks musicals are just a bit too fruity. I think that is awesome.

6. MrG

MrG Senior member

I'll agree that calling them fat was ugly (and unnecessary), but I don't understand how the "progressive" comment was. I mean, it was a part of my point. I think a substantial part of her demographic is comprised of housewives who want to feel like they're "'in touch' and progressive," and the popularity of a non-threatening, goofy lesbian is a result of the aggregation of that desire. It's not even really a value judgement on whether or not they should want to be progressive. I'm simply saying I think they do, and her fame is a manifestation of that.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Speaking of which, why is Jimmy Fallon famous? I don't think he's particularly funny.

1 person likes this.
  8. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

9. MrG

MrG Senior member

Agreed.

I remember watching an early episode of his late-night show, it might have even been the premiere, and it was so bad it made me uncomfortable. The bits I've seen of his later shows lead me to believe he's improved substantially since then, but I still find him unfunny and annoying the vast majority of the time, regardless of venue. The gushing fanboy routine is especially grating.

I will admit that he can be pretty funny in the right sketch, but he is absolutely a small-dose comedian for me.

1 person likes this.
  10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

He's famous for getting famous people to do stupid non famous things

Also snl. And impressions

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So basically Ellen is getting affirmative action that allows a non-funny, but also non-threatening, lesbian to be famous as a comedic personality?

1 person likes this.
  12. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Man, you guys are a tough audience!

13. otc

otc Senior member

He was always polarizing (partly due to his knack for cracking up at his own jokes), but I always thought that some of the best SNL bits from that era involved Jimmy Fallon.

14. MrG

MrG Senior member

Institutionalized affirmative action?

15. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

The Roots carried Late Night the first few weeks

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Affirmative privilege.

1 person likes this.
  17. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Her stand up from back in the day is quite good. Anyone who moves to daytime talk is going to have to sell out a little bit.

18. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Well, I disagree with MrG a bit. I don't think Ellen is getting "affirmative action" from her audience - err, at least her straight audience. I don't think her gay-ness has anything to do with why your average straight, cis-normative middle class American likes her. I think they like her because they find her funny and likeable. (Obviously your tastes run differently, but most of them would probably also find it strange that you make sausage and play the bagpipes and spend your spare time at work on a men's clothing forum.) I do think Ellen's homosexuality does create a certain devotion within the gay community because she "plays for their team," and the gay community does have particular clout in the entertainment industry and audience. And I think they doubly like her because she is liked by the straight community - she is mainstream gay in a way that someone like, I dunno, Dan Savage, who is more combative about gay issues, will never be. I think it's the gay community that has more invested in her homosexuality than any straight contingent sitting there patting themselves on the back for their open-mindedness.

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I highly doubt fat suburban midwives watch Ellen to be progressive. They're not that smart. They just watch to be entertained and she's very like able.

Style forum so hard to please

20. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

That's a pretty low bar.

1 person likes this.