• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Larry,

You raise a good point. This is what long term exposure to laser waves will do to you:

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Yikes. He looks like he's turning into Mickey Rourke.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
movies like Real Genius, 3 o'clock High, and You Can't Buy Me Love are actually a little before my time, but since there was no interwebs back in the day (early 90's) you had to sit and watch what was on HBO/Showtime/Skinemax.

it seems like those above mentioned movies mixed in with Defending Your Life, goodfellas, and Husbands and Wives was on a constant loop on HBO.

here's what I don't get.... I can't really sit down and watch a 30min tv show (let alone an hour drama, or even a movie) anymore. I pretty much wasted a lot of money buying large new TV's for the new house just to have them, but they rarely even get turned on.

it just feels unproductive to sit and watch something for that long without multitasking. my wife and i figured out that cooking and eating dinner then washing the dishes is a great time to watch something like madmen/breaking bad/ect so much so that we got a nice TV for the kitchen.

I still love watching sports but I've got to be on bike rollers, going over files/notes/ect while doing it. I just can't sit and watch things these days.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't get it, but I sure do want one. Watch the videos for lulz...

http://www.wickedlasers.com/

Those things will blind somebody before they can blink (literally, before the blink reflex kicks in) from ~100m away. They're absurd, really not sure how they're legal. Our laser safety guy was close to apoplectic about them.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those things will blind somebody before they can blink (literally, before the blink reflex kicks in) from ~100m away. They're absurd, really not sure how they're legal. Our laser safety guy was close to apoplectic about them.

They are illegal in most European countries.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just can't see the point in them, who needs a dot of light placed on something several thousand meters away?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I just can't see the point in them, who needs a dot of light placed on something several thousand meters away?
People buy them to do stuff like popping balloons and lighting paper on fire.

I mean, they are damn cool. I get the appeal. But they're dangerous as hell, and people basically think they're toys. Even the "astronomy pointer" ones are dangerous, and you really don't need that much power to point at clouds.

Lots of problems with people pointing them at planes and helicopters too. Far enough up that it's not going to actually blind the pilots, but they can't see (laser lights up the whole windscreen) and it makes for big problems.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I am king I'll pass a law that anyone who sees another person using a laser pointer can punch that person in the face without repercussion

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It will make for a lot of hilarity during business presentations. But who hasn't wanted to punch a presenter in the face?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate the douchebags that don't turn their pointer off when they start gesticulating wildly around the room, especially with the green pointers. Thanks fuckwit, now I can't see for the next two minutes. Of course his slides probably suck anyway, but one doesn't appreciate lasers to the eyeball.

This is especially true because my only day to day safety concern is literally "lasers to the eyeball." I'd hope to avoid it during meetings as well. Maybe I should just bring the laser goggles up with me, might make a point.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I do not get directs that leave things until EOB on Friday. I do not get directs that then call me, as I'm having a martini, to tell me they have not accomplished something I assigned them and want me to help them make some decisions that I pay them to make. I do not get directs that get upset when I tell them they were being irresponsible to leave this until EOB on Friday, that interrupting my martini with a phone call about their problems does not make me think highly of them, and that I will not make their decisions for them...particularly over my martini on a Friday evening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads