1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
  2. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Yeah, I see that, but I don't know that those totals would have been there 24, or especially 48 hours ago. And you do have to admit that even that is below the first "fold" of information and not that easily found amongst all the clutter.

I am not the kind of guy who really ever, ever looks at the forecast. I could be smarter about that, I guess - there are days when I walk outside and I'm like, "crap, I guess I didn't need the sweater" but the one time I really, really need to know what the deal is is when it snows - my question is "how much?" It's kind of odd that in the internet age that the predicted accumulation isn't screaming in giant numbers at the top of that page.

Even as I look at my trusty, omnipresent iPhone, in my "Today" info center or whatever they call it screen it says "Snow showers currently" with a high and a low, and it says "Snow tonight" but again, no accumulation total. Click the weather app, same deal, no snow accumulation total.

It just strikes me as odd. I can make a reservation for 4 at any restaurant in town with my iPhone faster than I can find out how many inches I'm gonna get.

yes of course i did that on purpose

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  3. otc

otc Senior member

NOAA.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...=39.3008&textField2=-76.6106&e=1#.Ut7NPhDna9I

Code:
    This Afternoon 
    Snow. High near 31. North wind around 17 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Tonight 
    Snow, mainly before 9pm. Low around 10. Wind chill values as low as -7. Blustery, with a northwest wind 18 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
    4-8 inches during the day, another inch possible at night.

4. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

thanks, i'll have to bookmark that.

i think that's probably literally what the computer would read when i called that 410-WE6-1111 number.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    Ha. My next suggestion was going to be NOAA.

Yeah, not sure when they add accumulation totals to the forecast. It's obviously not something I deal with frequently.

6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I used to complain all the time about weather sites on the Internet of which were practically useless. Then otc directed me to noaa, which was a revelation. I don't look anywhere else now.

7. L'Incandescent

Whenever I try to type "otc" into the Reply Box be like "I am not going to let you type that you mean orc!" And then I'm like "Goddammit no I do not don't tell me what I mean!"

8. otc

otc Senior member

I'd set it to your actual zip code first. Looks like that forecast area was pretty close to the water which can have a big effect on the results.

But yeah, if that's not what the weather number reads, I bet you can find it on the site (they might read the county-level forecast which is even more dry and to the point).

9. L'Incandescent

I've got one of those toilets that turns itself into the "off" position if it is not used for ten minutes. That means when you want to use it, you have to press the button to turn it "on." But it takes about a minute for it to transition completely into the "on" position, which means you have to wait. I think it switches to "off" to save electricity, but I don't get why it should take a whole minute to turn "on."

10. why

why Senior member

Save electricity? Electric toilet? :eh:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  11. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

Why do you need electricity for a toilet?

12. L'Incandescent

I don't know, I am not the one who designed it. Not an expert in that sort of thing.

13. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

So do you have to plan ahead? I.e., "I think I will need to urinate soon. I should go turn the toilet on."?

This is complicated and now I need to go urinate.

1 person likes this.
  14. L'Incandescent

Yup, that's just how it is.

1 person likes this.
  15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

^excellent. L'inc I think you have some competition, I daresay

2 people like this.
  16. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

"three seashells"?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. OliverGauffe

OliverGauffe Senior member

I think its a bad idea to have a toilet that relies on electricity. The normal kind you can flush with a bucket of water if you have no electricity, so all is not lost. Your seemigly-electric one probably takes a long time to turn on because of the same reason that it automatically turns off--energy saving. The best toilet I ever saw was a waterless one. You put something resembling a coffee filter into the toilet, do your thing and then you step on a foot pedal that opens the bottom of the toilet and drops your coffee-filter-shaped receptacle onto the ground where it immediately burns quickly at a high temperature. No waste, and it also didn't use electricity. In fact...I'm not sure how it worked. But it did.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

a toilet that lacks the smell-reducing water sounds awful. and then add the burning part...

19. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I've often thought "you know what the world needs? More flaming piles of shit"

3 people like this.
  20. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

Is your toilet on Facebook or Twitter? You could try messaging it to get ready en route.

1 person likes this.