1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Luggage is stupid expensive.

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

people are fucking weird. she's really nice though and says good morning to me every morning even though I don't like it when people do that. it isn't a good morning most of the time.

anyways, the joke was she didn't abstain to maintain body fitness (as I implied), it was something along the lines of remaining clear minded and in control. sounds awful.

3. patrickBOOTH

I get a lot of shit in my office because I don't say good morning. A lot of people expressed dissatisfaction with it for some reason. I think saying good morning to everybody you see in the morning is a very generational thing. The older people tend to do it. I just ignore everybody until I need them. I mean I see these people all day every day in the morning I don't even feel that enough time as passed since I last saw them to warrant a new greeting. I feel like I blink my eyes and I am in the office again seeing them, why say hello? Stupid.

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

why the fuck are weather people naming winter storms now? I don't give a shit about "Janus" (ha, anus), i just care about how much is going to fall and when so i can plan my fucking commute.

1 person likes this.
  5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I think it is a hook for marketing the forecasts.

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Are the rest of you guys really not going to give L'inc any shit for trolling the m4m section of Craigslist??

7. patrickBOOTH

Why should we? We all do it.

2 people like this.
  8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Be all like "You serviced me in Forest Park on Friday night did not catch your name hey lets team up again for pleasures! You had brown hair feathered like 1983."

3 people like this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I constantly wish everyone a good (whatever time of day) and such things. I'm the boss that cares.

10. patrickBOOTH

You're a good actor.

1 person likes this.
  11. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I have a tendency to say, "How are you," which I am really trying to cease because I don't care how 99.9% of people are.

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Agreed, Backpage.com is where it's at.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

The number of times I hear the following exchange in my office, every single day, is too damn high:

"Hey / Hi! How are you?"
    "Good! You?"
    "Good!"

Why can't people just say hi / hey when they pass each other?

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I learned a long time ago it really impresses people from outside the organization when you know, and are known by, your employees.

2 people like this.
  15. patrickBOOTH

I prefer to be Big Brother.

16. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    Yeah, fuck all these people going around being polite to each other, the bastards! The world would be a better place if no one ever showed even the slightest, most cursory bit of kindness. I hope the nice people all die painfully in a fiery car accident!

I'm so fucking edgy.

6 people like this.
  17. razl

razl Senior member

In Gilt's Brogue Boots sale today there were a pair of suede burnished wingtip boots by Church's with this bullet point:

• This product was sourced for Gilt by a trusted independent supplier.

WTF does that mean and why the need to make a point of it?

18. otc

otc Senior member

It's just the weather channel doing that. They are actually taking a lot of shit from other weather providers over the practice.

As far as I know, NOAA is very against the practice, and many others (such as accuweather) have published criticisms.
    The problem is that winter storms don't have a real definition the way that tropical storms and hurricanes (which can both last and be tracked for a very long time). And what might be a storm by DC standards might just be called a tuesday in North Dakota.

They created this to try to stay relevant in the world of internet-weather. Nobody watches the weather channel anymore (and certainly not for their original content...you just flip to it for a few minutes to see the forecast), and DirectTV is replacing them. When it comes to internet weather, there are other sources that feel better...and you can just get most of the info you need by typing "weather [zipcode]" into google without even clicking through to a weather website.

19. otc

otc Senior member

It means they fell off the back of a truck.

20. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

call me crazy, but I actually think the weather forecast is getting harder, not easier, to get, particularly when things like a winter storm are concerned. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I used to be able to relatively well rely on the old automated phone line. They discontinued that officially about 2 years ago. I find typing "21XXX Weather" or going to the weather channel website is worthless for snowfall accumulation estimates, especially 2-3 days out. It will have the little snowflake icon but it's like searching for a phone number on the Amazon.com site to find anyone who will put a number on it a day or two out. The best thing to do is to actually watch the damned local news; at least they'll tell you the range of possibilities.

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.