• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
falling in line for the movies yesterday... there was a large tv monitor showing the movie schedules, and above the ticket booth is another monitor that shows how many seats are open for all the cinemas. and every single god damn time the person in front of me has to go ask the person in the ticket counter the schedule, how many seats are available, what time are the next showings... :fu:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
WTF Allen Edmonds?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Football (the one we americanos call soccer) - is every match called by one single person? I can't tell for sure but it sure sounds like that

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since I live in an semi suburban area with a wallmart nearby now I've noticed this a lot:

I'll see random people buying soda from a vending machine right in the lobby/storefront of a grocery/department store where you could just walk into the store and buy the soda for half the price.

There's variants of this - where the person has just finished shopping and walked out of the store and will buy a coke out of a vending machine in the lobby/storefront.

That $2.00 (or more) you spent on that 500ml bottle of coke? Sometimes they have 2 liter bottles for the same price right inside the store or a six pack of 500mll bottles for less than $4.00

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be fair, the 2-liters aren't cold.

But yes, you could probably buy a cold 20oz from the convenience coolers near the checkout for less than the vending machine.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my area, vending machines are uniformly cheaper than coolers in gas stations or stores.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Self selection price insensitivity. There are a few good articles about it, but basically it comes down to how highly people value their time/expenditure. The option of spending an extra 5 mins picking up a 2ltr and some cups, queuing up to pay, pouring out and then carrying the extras is something they would pay $2 to avoid.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been reading the reviews at Consequence of Sound looking for new music to listen to, and the results have made me wonder some things, such as for example why do so many "indie" bands have singers who are so bad at singing? I don't mean I don't like their style of singing, I mean they are bad singers by any reasonable standard of singing. They just sound like regular people with no special musical ability. Is this supposed to make them "authentic?" Why does anybody enjoy listening to them sing?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been reading the reviews at Consequence of Sound looking for new music to listen to, and the results have made me wonder some things, such as for example why do so many "indie" bands have singers who are so bad at singing? I don't mean I don't like their style of singing, I mean they are bad singers by any reasonable standard of singing. They just sound like regular people with no special musical ability. Is this supposed to make them "authentic?" Why does anybody enjoy listening to them sing?

It may be the equivalent of cheering for the scrappy smaller less athletically gifted athlete (often Caucasian). Players like David Eckstaein, danny woodhead/wes welker, or Dustin pedroria. In sports the reality is those guys merely appear to be that way but at that level they are still that top 1 percentile of athletic ability. I guess successful rock indie music was never totally dependent on the lead singers vocal ability.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads