1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Well presumably if you say yes the next question would be what your name is as opposed to starting out with your name which is admittedly an odder question than have you been here before

Also the person probably asking you this question would probably not have seen you before

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. MrG

MrG Senior member

I think you're talking about a pretty narrow spectrum of restaurants. "Have you been here before" is a pretty common question, even at restaurants where the type of service you're describing doesn't exist.

Also, to avoid this question altogether, you just have to go out of your way to be memorable.

"Uh oh, guys, floor pooper's here again, and he brought the whole family! Start frying everything, and bring a bowl of ranch to the table when you first go up to make your introduction!"

2 people like this.
  3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Well I guess what I'm talking about is if you go to a restaurant and the hostess asks you this. I guess sometimes the server asks you this which is probably just a conversation starter or a way to gauge how much s/he should tell you about the menu.

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

As far as I can tell, its sole purpose is to set up the greeting

If you say yes, they say "well, welcome back!"

If you say no, they say "well, welcome to Dexter's Prime Cuts!"

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The, "Have you dined with us before?" question is just to play with your fucking heads. It's like when you call someone and get their secretary. "Can I tell him who's calling?" Well you can, you stupid bint, but you never do! It's just to mess with people's minds.

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

This actually happened to me a few times back when I was in The Matrix:

Secretary: "Dewey, Cheatham and Howe!"

Me: "This is Steve Smith. I would like to speak with Mr. Howe."

Secretary: "May I ask the purpose of the call?"

Me: "The purpose of the call is that I want to speak with Mr. Howe."

A couple of times I overheard secretaries with my company prescreening calls for me: "May I ask who is calling?" Funny thing is that, like Piobaire mentioned, she did not pass that info on to me so it appears that she was either being nosy or saw it as some sort of power gatekeeper ritual. I told her to quit interrogating callers and just send them through to me.

7. otc

otc Senior member

If your secretary is just going to forward all calls... Why have her pick up for you in the first place?

Seems like you would want her to make sure it isn't the menswear consultant offering an in office visit. Otherwise just have it route to her only if you don't pick up (on other line or out of office)

1 person likes this.
  8. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I just saw something on Twitter about a White House turkey pardoning competition. I don't get anything about it at all. What are they being pardoned for? The crime of being lower on the food chain?

9. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

it's not an outright pardon, it's only a 1-year delay in the implementation of the minimum standards for Thanksgiving dinner. If you like your turkey, you can keep it, for now. Period.

3 people like this.
  10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I hate turkey. [​IMG]

I will be eating duck and latkes on Thursday. Also yelling at Matt Stafford to throw to Megatron.

11. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

My mom is making duck. my wife is disappointed.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

We are apparently going to consume a turducken which if I remember correctly was dry and overcooked last time

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

I'm having TG with my in-laws, which is awesome because her mom does a meal that's a mixture of traditional American Thanksgiving, stuff from the UK (my in-laws are Brits), and whatever she feels like adding that year.

Also, since they're all from the UK, it makes me feel like I'm having my Thanksgiving dinner with real pilgrims.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

That's very cool. Ours is going to the usual thanksgiving trimmings mixed with a lot of Chinese food. Last time there was some home brewed beer as well.

2 people like this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

We have a ten top at a very fancy resort and then are headed to the nearby home that belongs to one of our fellow diners for drinks, dessert, and lounging by the fire pit.

16. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Duck is awesome and super healthy.

17. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I don't get what has happened to SF in the last week that has made it almost totally unresponsive on a touch-screen device.

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Works fine on my iPhone.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guy in my office's wife has a baby. He is taking 3 month FMLA leave without pay. WTF is wrong with this bozo? :confused:

20. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I guess someone saved for a real emergency.

I'm making a leg of lamb for thanksgiving lunch/dinner. My family completely dislikes meat that isn't VERY well done. Makes me not even want to bother.