1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

nope. Gin Blossoms.

1 person likes this.
  2. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    :laugh:

I was thisclose to guessing Gin Blossoms, but I went with joking about one-hit wonders instead.

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

maybe you can guess who i'm going with?

hint: it's not Manton.

4. MrG

MrG Senior member

That's just too easy, Gome, but make sure you compliment his hair. I hear it's a thing for him.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

speaking of, i could really use a haircut. been working way too late though.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

[​IMG]

FWIW, I think the hate for post-grunge was the genesis of the hipster attitude. I had a good time in the 90s. Had a good time in the 80s too.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

How were things in the 50s? So far which decade has been your favorite?

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I tuned all my guitars down a step in the '90s, hey how else was I supposed to give expression to the pain what was inside me? (I played in a band called Angst of Base really captured the spirit of the times. I played bass, ironically.)

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

All the decades before your birth rocked and then you came along and shitted the planet up. Not gonna hold it against you though.

Edit:

Query (question): RHCP = 80s band or 90s band?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  10. MrG

MrG Senior member

I had a great time in the 90s, Piob, and I'm not saying there wasn't any good music. It just wasn't particularly great, either, at least overall. It was sort of a flat decade. It was the Diet Coke of pop culture. Just one calorie; not great enough.

Plus, there's the angst. For the whole decade, it was always with the angst. I like the angst, I really do, and it's :slayer: when done well, but it's also pretty :rolleyes: when done poorly. When there was that much angst, there was a lot of "done poorly" out there.

On the RHCP question, I'm sorely tempted to call them 80s, but that's hard to argue when Blood Sugar came out in the 90s.

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

RHCP has been around since the 80's, but hit the mainstream big time with BloodSugar, which is a great album. They basically moved from big clubs and auditoriums to stadiums then.

then the guitaist quit, and they became mostly irrelevant again (even with Dave Navarro), until the BloodSugar guitarist rejoined and Californication came out in 1999.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

G, I wasn't lumping you in with the post-grunge haters. I think you've admitted to agreeing with me that Creed's first album was actually pretty good. I just think that was the genesis of the hipster attitude, as those folks are about the right age, where suddenly everything is "inauthentic" (in a bad way).

As to the angst...probably have to be my age to get it. The 80s were full of angst. It was a pretty strong subtext that the world was going to end in nuclear conflagration at any moment because Ronald Raygun. I think the nihilism of the 80s fueled the angst of the 90s for the first crop of bands as they were all around my age and lived through the 80s like I did.

As to RHCP...yeah, I'm torn. They certainly got huge after 91's BSSM but it's hard not to say they didn't form in 83 and BSSM was just their continued evolution.

13. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I can definitely get behind BSSM. Really excellent album. Let us also not forget that Opiate, Undertow and AEnima all came out in the 90s!

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Hey my generation has produced some stellar artists like justin bieber (who is regrettably Canadian but so is the worlds greatest rapper drake), Selena Gomez, the Jonas brothers along with some beautiful works of literature like 50 shades of grey, the twilight series, and the hunger games. Also we have things like twitfacegram which we can use to post selfies and share great news articles like the 25 ways to wipe your ass. Just ask neo.

Also real talk rhcp is a 2000s band. Their greatest albums which are stadium Arcadium, by the way, and I'm with you were produced after the dawn of the new millennium

no that wasn't real talk :hide:

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Tool did not form until the very early 90s (I think).

Certainly more metal/prog rock than most 90s bands though. I have to admit I really enjoy the Tool sound and also some of APC (Maynard got a little odd on some of APC's covers, etc.)

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i've been trying to work out all of the guitar tracks on BSSM, so it's what I've been listening to on my commute for the past week or so. It is indeed volume 11 awesome, I haven't actually listened to all of the tracks in a very long time.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I used to really hate when they did the sock thing. It was funny at first but became very creepy.

RHCP without John Frusciante is no good.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

BTW is great also. The thing I really like about them is how different BSSM, Californication, and BTW are musically.

the one thing I don't like about Stadium Arcadium is how it's kind of a mashup of their past styles in some regards. Lots of production going on as well, BSSM was really raw.

speaking of BSSM, I didn't realize there was a documentary on its making:

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

current guitarist is nah for me. Navarro was nah. Slovak had some awesome tunes though from the mid-80's

20. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I find Tool a bit like Kanye. Really cool sound and very talented but really dumb lyrics. I think for a long time MJK took himself way too seriously. All the acid maybe...