• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lately I've had students try to tell me that they turned in their papers to me by e-mail, but for some reason the university e-mail system isn't working and so that's why they didn't get to me. Then I tell them to send me their papers using a non-university address. The papers never show up, to my great surprise. (I should add that students are not supposed to e-mail me their papers in the first place; they are supposed to bring them to class on the due dates.)

Here's what I don't get: do students genuinely believe that this excuse stands a chance? And are there other professors who accept this as a plausible explanation?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This morning I was making a right turn at an intersection. I swear to God, a person making a left turn onto the street I was turning off from came very close to hitting me. I've griped about this before, but why the hell can't people make a left turn at a roughly 90 degree angle? Is it really that difficult? Do they really need that two seconds they're saving by cutting the turn short?

I've complained about this on SF, too. It aggravates me because it's one of those things that people do when they're driving that seems like it's no big deal, but it could actually cause a wreck pretty easily.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Lately I've had students try to tell me that they turned in their papers to me by e-mail, but for some reason the university e-mail system isn't working and so that's why they didn't get to me. Then I tell them to send me their papers using a non-university address. The papers never show up, to my great surprise. (I should add that students are not supposed to e-mail me their papers in the first place; they are supposed to bring them to class on the due dates.)

Here's what I don't get: do students genuinely believe that this excuse stands a chance? And are there other professors who accept this as a plausible explanation?
sry professor the dog ate my poast.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They're so lazy that even their excuses are bad.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had cats all my life...

Couldn't used that one even if once my cat pissed on one of my essay..

I had the cat decide to bed down on my math homework once as a kid, kneading it with claws and all. I turned it in. My teacher took points off for not copying it onto a fresh sheet of paper, but screw that. The math was still all there, at least if you bent some of the clawed out sections back into place. It's there, it's legible, it was an unimportant problem set. Why the hell would I spend time copying it over?

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They're so lazy that even their excuses are bad.

I'm confused, what do they expect to happen?

Can't you only use this ploy to buy more time (say you have a final the next day so you would rather study now and write the paper tomorrow)?

Wtf do they expect they will have to do after saying that it got lost? You've only got a few hour gap after you alert the professor where it is plausible you haven't yet had an opportunity to send another email.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ I think they're hoping against hope that I won't call their bluff. Maybe they're hoping I say that since their e-mail isn't working, they can just bring a hard copy to the next class, which might give them as many as four days.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I don't get the passive aggressive road behavior when you try and pass someone and the suddenly decide to speed up making it hard to get by. I had someone today pickup 20 MPH trying to pass, I had to accelerate past 90mph to get thru. Then immediately they went back down to their original speed.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So I don't get the passive aggressive road behavior when you try and pass someone and the suddenly decide to speed up making it hard to get by. I had someone today pickup 20 MPH trying to pass, I had to accelerate past 90mph to get thru. Then immediately they went back down to their original speed.
I don't get this either, and I experience it often.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please do not damage the self esteem of those precious and unique little snowflakes.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought I got this but realize now that I may not -

Psy. I thought he was internetily famous for purposes of ridicule. But now I am starting to think that people actually like him in the conventional way :confused:

upthewazzu

Reaction score

Interesting. I thought that only backwoods wheat farmers did this. I encounter it almost every time I pass someone on WA-195 (which is the only road in and out of my town). In our SUV, it's no biggie but in my wife little ass car it can be a death defying experience.

Last edited:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. I thought that only backwoods wheat farmers did this. I encounter it almost every time I pass someone on WA-195 (which is the only road in and out of my town).

I'm also in rural Washington and see it all the time... in its most benign form it's just a half-asleep old person realizing they were driving too slowly, in its most malicious it's an insecure redneck or other dipshit that thinks being passed is an affront to their dignity. The latter tend to have the 'I was going a reasonable speed, I'm in front' mentality that plagues much of North American driving.

Another form of this is when a road suddenly gets an extra lane and then everybody speeds up, only to invariably slow down again once the lane disappears, nobody having passed anyone. Occurs all over ******* i-5.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've noticed people with cell phones tend to be bad about pacing people or speeding up when you go to pass. I think they are not paying enough attention to the road and are using other cars to gauge their speed. If they're in the lead they slow down as they're TALKING ON THE ******* PHONE INSTEAD OF DRIVING.

I still, for the life of me, cannot fathom what all these people are talking about while they drive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads