1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I agree with this, in general. I'm not sure my experience supports the statement that "most" probation officers are corrupt (for what it's worth, my experience is more with the federal than the state/county system), but it's certainly true that as a result of some combination of under-resourcing/incomeptence/corruption/lack of vision/whatever, the parole/probation/supervised release system is currently pretty dysfunctional. But I think HB's right that with some thought and reform it could be part of a much-improved overall system.

2. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

These are not mutually exclusive.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This is true. IMO the front end work is harder and more dodgy though. We would have to do things like encourage intact families, etc.

Still think this is a great topic but more suited for CE. I guess I could say though I don't get why encouraging things like intact families has gotten political.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Don't try to impose your gender normative cis-views on us.

1 person likes this.
  5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

It all goes back to what Daniel Patrick Moynihan discovered.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...eport-and-ongoing-family-breakdown/rich-lowry

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The issue the prisons is that its pretty much a business network for criminals, most low-level criminals that go to prison come out worse than they went in.

At least here in Denmark it doesn't seem that there's a focus on creating skills, that the inmates can use when they get out.
    Another issue is criminal records, they are a large part of keeping criminals criminals, as most employers don't want someone with a criminal record, but who says they are more likely to steal etc. than someone without one, it doesn't really make sense to punish people once again after they are done serving their time.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I don't get BIG architecture and why developers love it.

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

$

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Have you ever been inside one of their houses?

I don't think Bjarke has ever lived in one of his own designs.

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

From what I gather, it's a mix between developers wanting a prized firm do a building with them, and squeezing every penny possible out of every square foot. My wife just moved from a "developer-friendly" architecture firm to a small architecture firm that does smaller-scope projects.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I don't get why they spend so much time making the building nice to look at, when the interior is not very livable, a fun fact is that all the developers who have build BIG projects in Denmark have gone belly up and have had big problems selling the units, one even had to sell below cost.

12. otc

otc Senior member

Well, that's probably why he didn't wan't to put it in CE...

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Are we going to start treating non-intact family backgrounds as a protected class? Is "intact family upbringing" the new "gender normative cis scum"? :laugh:

14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Like encouraging abortion!

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Forget encourage, how about require?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  16. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

That's exactly where all the data is. If you put money into prevention and intervention, you get a save a shitload of money on the back end and reduce crime pretty dramatically. Simple and seemingly obvious stuff like mentoring and after school programs are often the most effective solutions- keep kids engaged in healthy activities, they don't get into a life of crime instead. You can prevent crime from ever happening by putting money into stuff like Big Brothers, Big Sisters. We've tried more cops, we've tried tougher sentencing. It's pretty plainly obvious at this point that that approach doesn't work.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  17. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

That's a solid point. I urge everyone here that hasn't already to adopt one or more local non profits that work in these areas to focus your giving and volunteering around. Forget the big national charities that harass you for bucks, local orgs are usually a lot more efficient and effective. Check them out using Charity Navigator or similar, read their 990s, get to know the staff and the Executive Director, join the board, whatever. I know a lot of you already do this, but for those who don't, this is a much more effective and inspiring way to support your community than giving $10 a week to the local United Way campaign.

5 people like this.
  18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

:slayer:

19. otc

otc Senior member

The pawn shop in my neighborhood (think it is a Pawn USA).

I go in there every once and a while...hoping I might see some sort of tool/guitar/bike that I want. But their prices are absolutely absurd. I don't see how anyone ever buys anything. They will have computers priced above what a comparable new system can be had for...guitar things at close to retail.

Today they had a used walmart "fixie" on sale for $129 or so...I've seen walmart selling them for $79 brand new (not that they are even worth that much).

20. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

In my experience most pawn shops sell things on a payment plan, so while that bike might cost $129 from the pawn shop you only have to put $10 down.