1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I thought of that. Honestly, I think I'd rather pay full price for my Duracell batteries than have all my friends see that I have "liked" them.

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

What if it was a really good discount though, like 15% off?

3. L'Incandescent

Even a discount of that magnitude would not compel me. Even 30% or 33%.

4. Harold falcon

40%?

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think it is so we have conversations like this and further promote Duracell.

Btw, which batteries to you guys prefer?

6. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

7. otc

otc Senior member

Just unlike them afterwards!

Or when they ask you to share something...my default share mode is "Custom" which is set to share things to be only visible to me.

Since I don't look at my own page, the company gives me whatever they were going to give me for sharing...and nobody ever sees it.

I also have a spam twitter account (literally... @otcspam ) that I use whenever someone is offering free crap for a tweet. I think I last used it for a free sandwich at a Corner Bakery. I'm sure my one follower loved the offer I tweeted about.

8. patrickBOOTH

Peanut butter and battery sandwiches rule.

9. Harold falcon

Who uses one-and-done batteries? I have an iPhone not a Walkman.

Edit - even my flashlights are rechargeable or self-powered.

Further Edit - the battery in my automobile is a Die Hard. Which is a misleading name because they actually die pretty easy, but I only have to replace them every 3 years or so.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  10. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Must have bananas and then the batteries must be Energizer. Their flavor is more delicate and doesn't overpower everything like Duracell or Eveready.

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i stick my tongue to 9V's to see if they're still good. apparently that method is flawed.

3 people like this.
  12. patrickBOOTH

Remote to TV. That is slowly being replaced by the iPhone, too...

13. Harold falcon

Slowly? Welcome to 2010.

14. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Last battery purchase was for TV remote.

15. otc

otc Senior member

yeah...TV remotes and lights.

rechargeables just don't hold onto their charge forever. Li-ion is good for frequent use devices like a phone, but it loses charge over time if not left plugged in. I can pull my remote or flashlight out of a drawer a year from now and it will still have hours of use left.

My bike lights go for a year or more on 1-2 CR2032 batteries...and I have made them somewhat hard to remove from the bike to prevent theft so having to bring them to a charger would suck.

And the nice thing about commodity batteries is you can just get them anywhere and store them for years. If I bring a flashlight camping, I know it will work, and I can bring a pack of spare batteries if I want (and buy more on the road). Sure you can get rechargeable AAs, but they aren't as good as more specialized rechargeable battery packs for cameras/phones, and they won't hold their charge for 4 years in your glove compartment.

16. otc

otc Senior member

I could get a phone with a IR remote (or get an addon one) which would let it control the TV...but there is something handy about dedicated remotes that are always in the room somewhere. If my buddy wants to adjust the volume, he doesn't have to have my phone.

I do have apps on my phone that control XBMC (yatse) and Spotify (spotimote) on my HTPC...these are awesome. I don't really use the XBMC remote when watching videos (easier to just browse by directly controlling the computer with the wireless control), but it's awesome for listening to music around home. It pops the current song into the notification drawer, so I can change songs/pause without even going into the app...and I can go in the app to search for things and change album/playlist. Spotimote's not quite as good, but Spotify has a much larger music library than my HTPC does...

17. MrG

MrG Senior member

I don't get why everyone doesn't just use Rayovac batteries. The others (Energizer, Duracell) are a waste of money.

(There, I just saved you guys a ton of money on batteries, and you don't even have to like me.)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  18. MrG

MrG Senior member

Ambien definitely gets the job done, but it's not an every-night solution.

I will remit the amount I think is appropriate for the quality of treatment I received. ;)

Yeah, if there's a "solution," I've tried it. I'm just not wired to have a "normal" schedule. Back when I was able to sleep on my natural schedule, sleep was much, much less of an issue (though I'd still have problems occasionally).

I think we've had this conversation in the past, but, yeah, that would be an excellent schedule for me.

19. L'Incandescent

20. patrickBOOTH