1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. romafan

romafan Senior member

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

That makes me want to break things.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I noted that while in London this past spring. They seem like terrible human beings

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The quatari royal family is one of the biggest land owners in London including Harrods, the shard and the Olympic village, so they are very self entitled.

Most the young people have some fancy degree, but they have never worked a day in their life, so the best comparison is Paris Hilton etc.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I also don't get "we didn't start the fire" by Billy Joel. What is this shit? So he names a whole bunch of people and events, and then says "we didn't start the fire!"...? Is he saying that Harry Truman and Doris Day started it? And what fucking fire? In Vietnam?

Of course I'm being facetious here. What I don't get is how this drivel masquerades as music

6. otc

otc Senior member

Apparently neither does Billy Joel:
    "It's one of the worst melodies I've ever written."
    http://books.google.com/books?id=1P...pg=PA119#v=onepage&q=Billy Joel fire&f=false

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The 80s were heady times musically speaking.

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

What about Only the Good Die Young? Is he saying that anyone who's old is bad? Or that everyone who dies young is good?

I'm being facetious as well, but I don't get any Billy Joel. Moving Out? Captain Jack? Goodbye to Hollywood? You May be Right? Big Shot?

Why is (was) he in any way popular? How did he get Christie Brinkley :confused:

9. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Italian Restaraunt is my favorite of his. Classic.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It worked for REM.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

There was a lot of this in Paris a few weeks ago also. They park their cars right on the sidewalk and spend money like nothing. They are also generally kind of rude.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Someone (maternal uncle) laid that trope on me when I was nine the day my father died. At nine years of age 74 seemed very old to me so I became quite upset and told my uncle to stop telling me my father was not a good man.

13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Why do so many women's tennis matches--even among similarly ranked opponents--end up with lopsided scores like 6-0, 6-1?

14. otc

otc Senior member

I don't have a real answer but maybe women are more consistent (since they don't have as many raw power plays)?

If both players play completely consistently, the better player will be more likely to win each point (ignoring the service advantage) and thus more likely to win each game and lead to things like lopsided sets.

Men might be less consistent, scoring points with big heavy serves and hits (or losing points when they are in an all out sprint and can't change direction to get back to the other side of the court fast enough). The better player will still win the set or the match, but it only takes a few points to win a game so variability plats a big part. It doesn't seem unlikely that a better, but less-consistent player would give up games more often. Once you get to duece (something you might expect frequently from two similarly ranked opponents), you only have to make two mistakes in a row or have your opponent make two good moves to lose a game.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

As I see it tennis is a game of chance, may be because I have never been able to get a tennis ball to go where I wanted it to. :embar:

16. otc

otc Senior member

As a more concrete example, lets look at two groups of players, one that is more consistent and one that is not.

This group trades points but occasionally the better player scores a second point. lets call them W and L for Winning and Losing player. +/- for whether the set winner won each game.
    WLWLWW = +
    LWLWLWWLWLWLWW = +
    LWLWLWWLWLWLWW = +
    LWLWLWWLWLWLWW = +
    LWLWLWWLWLWLWW = +
    LWLWLWWLWLWLWW = +
    44 points won, 32 lost, 6-0 for the set. By the points, I guess you could say the winner is ~38% better. These players are perfectly consistent, with the winner trading points with the loser except that they take an extra point every third trade.

This other group is all over the place:
    WWWW = +
    LLWLL = -
    WWLLLWWW = +
    WWWW = +
    LLWLL = -
    WWWLW = +
    WWWW = +
    LLWLL = -
    LLLWL = -
    WWWLW = +
    only 29 points won and 21 points lost, but the set score swings to 6-4. By the points, you could still say that the winner is ~38% better (same as above), but the scoring is much more variable.

In both examples, the winner scores more often than the loser by the same ratio, but the consistent player doesn't lose a single game while the inconsistent player drops a lot of games.

a 38% margin is probably a little high for "two similarily ranked opponents"...my guess is they would spend more time hitting in and out of duece and get something like a 10% point spread. Even then, the least consistent pairing would be the most likely to have long sets while the most consistent will see 6-0 or 6-1 sets.

17. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

tl;dr

3 people like this.
  18. L'Incandescent

Okay, I'm gonna bring it real with this one: I don't get "crafts." I mean the kind of stuff you can buy at Hobby Lobby or Michael's or whatnot. More specifically still, I'm talking about the kind of crudely produced crap that is often adorned with crudely painted words like "Jesus" or "Family" or "Simplicity." People pay real money for this shit, and I just don't understand it.

If I ever hear anyone arguing for the labor theory of value, I'm gonna take them to the craft store straightaway.

19. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i once spent 3 hours painting this ceramic Hummer H1 at the local Color Me Mine. it was pretty badass - full desert camo paint scheme, the wheels and brushguards even had caked-on mud and scratches on them. tried to paint bullet holes too but they didn't come out good after firing

20. L'Incandescent

Apparently I'm getting confused a lot lately, because I have another post to make here: why do I keep hearing ads on Spotify encouraging me to show my pride (in my neighborhood, my university, etc.) by submitting a song to a playlist? How the hell does that show pride?

I can imagine twenty years down the road parents will say to their children "I am so proud of you for graduating college that I submitted a song to a playlist! Yup, I was just that proud hehehe!"