• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily big on tequila, but I've had some of the really good stuff and thought it was excellent and very interesting. Worlds away from Sauza or Jose Cuervo.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, you're conflating the **** kids drink in clubs with good tequila.

Yeah, I agree, good tequila is quite tasty. It's about the only clear spirit I straight up like, though I do tend to prefer the aged versions.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silver tequila is a wonderful substitute for gin in the negroni's cousin, the agavoni. The vegetal nature of tequila plays well with the bitter orange of Campari.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Silver tequila is a wonderful substitute for gin in the negroni's cousin, the agavoni. The vegetal nature of tequila plays well with the bitter orange of Campari.

I would believe that. I'd love to try one.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The solution is to get an aged rum that has been filtered to remove coloring. Banks 5 Island, a combination of five aged rums, is quite good in this respect.

I fail to see the point of this. White/Silver rums are called for when the desire is to not have the aged flavors, not to avoid the coloring. I love my mount gay, but I would rather have a mojito made with bacardi than mount gay eclipse (and certainly wouldn't use something like the mount gay extra old). Something crisp like that isn't meant to have the flavors of barrel aging.

Im talking any beer that comes with a lime, tequila people have their processes with salt and lemon to make it tolerable. Bullshit.

So don't drink silver tequila (and things like Sauza/Cuevro Gold are just silver tequilas with gold color added...they aren't aged). Just like rum, the white stuff is for mixing. The whole salt and lime thing is stupid.
There are some mighty fine reposado and anejo tequilas out there. Aging the agave makes a very smooth drink. Skip the patron (quality went down and prices went up when they decided to try and be a club bottle de jour ) and go for something like a Corrido anejo (or even the Corralejo in the tall red bottle).

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I do not get when it became "ok" to not remove the tags on clothes, wear them out, then return them. I particularly do not get how this has become a source of pride for some people, particularly young women.
A local SA at a major store here told me that they get the most returns the day after an annual event held here ends.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Im talking any beer that comes with a lime, tequila people have their processes with salt and lemon to make it tolerable. Bullshit.

Yeah, you're conflating the **** kids drink in clubs with good tequila.

Possibly.

Most Americans think Cuervo or Cap'n Morgans is "the good stuff", and thus think all rum and tequila is horrible swill only suitable for shots. There are lots of better options, for less money even. People are just suckers for branding.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am not optimistic about even the "good" tequila out there. There is this mexican joint by me where all they have is tequila to drink. I have always scowled at their drink menu and they have attempted to make me cocktails with the "good" stuff and even that stuff while it goes down easier has that quality that makes it tequila that I just simply don't like. Granted, I never tried drinking it straight. I don't know if that perhaps is different.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Most Americans think Cuervo or Cap'n Morgans is "the good stuff", and thus think all rum and tequila is horrible swill only suitable for shots. There are lots of better options, for less money even. People are just suckers for branding.

I think the perception on this has changed considerably. There is a very sizable market for higher end tequilas. Just look at how many more brands are nationally available with a price tag over $30. Allied Domecq did a lot for expanding the market in the 90's. Patron has really kicked the lid off of the high end tequila market. Even if you think the product is over priced they did a lot for expanding consumers' palates.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am not optimistic about even the "good" tequila out there. There is this mexican joint by me where all they have is tequila to drink. I have always scowled at their drink menu and they have attempted to make me cocktails with the "good" stuff and even that stuff while it goes down easier has that quality that makes it tequila that I just simply don't like. Granted, I never tried drinking it straight. I don't know if that perhaps is different.

Tequila is certainly something I can understand not liking, if you don't like the vegetal notes it's just not going to work for you. It is certainly different. A margarita and a daiquiri (real ones) have the same ingredients other than the base spirit, but rum vs tequila makes for a huge change in the flavor profile.

I think the perception on this has changed considerably. There is a very sizable market for higher end tequilas. Just look at how many more brands are nationally available with a price tag over $30. Allied Domecq did a lot for expanding the market in the 90's. Patron has really kicked the lid off of the high end tequila market. Even if you think the product is over priced they did a lot for expanding consumers' palates.

Yeah, but that's still a fairly small exposure overall. I certainly don't know percentages, but most people try garbage when they're young, decide they don't like it, then never try anything better. Or they keep shots forever (lime/salt too) even for good stuff. Can't imagine much of a fraction actually sips or drinks carefully made cocktails. (death to sour mix)

Likewise: Craft beers have exploded recently, but the vast majority of the population still drinks stuff like Bud Lite.

Related: I want to smack anybody that orders a "Grey Goose screwdriver." You're mixing it with like 8 oz of ****** orange juice, you don't need premium vodka you dolt.

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think your opinion is reflective of your age. You are really cherry picking to make a point. I would imagine that for 99% of all people that drink for the first time it is ****. So by your logic why would anyone convert to a drinker of anything premium.

Yes, the majority of alcohol consumed is because of price point and not quality. That doesn't take away the market for premium products. There is still a very large market. Patron sold 2.4 million cases last year. That's between 100-150 million in revenue. That is one tequila brand.

I found this: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/02/us-tequila-usa-idUSTRE7711RL20110802

U.S. sales of tequila bottles within the $20 wholesale price range have gone up by 129 percent since 2003, according to figures compiled by DISCUS, the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States. Meanwhile, sales of bottles priced at $22 and up, known in the industry as the super premium category, increased by 317 percent.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Related: I want to smack anybody that orders a "Grey Goose screwdriver." You're mixing it with like 8 oz of ****** orange juice, you don't need premium vodka you dolt.

+1 to that. Actually drives me nuts when people do it with really nice tequila too--your margarita is just fine with blanco, folks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I find Milagro, across their spectrum, to be good stuff and a good QPR. El Jimador, now that their agave fields are back, is also a good bang for the buck. If you can find the stuff on the left here, great deal for about $27

DSC01106.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads