1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

The ultimate struggle: deciding whether someone is an early adopter of new terminology or an outrage-hobbiest on this weeks soapbox of moral indignation.

1 person likes this.
  2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i was watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen tonight and i didn't get why it took seconds for our heroes to drive from Petra to Cairo. does Chevrolet have some super Autobot speed technology and are we going to see this on the coming Corvette Stingray?

1 person likes this.
  3. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

To: L'Incandescent

Understand the logic, but I just think America has too much PC going on these days. I am sure if I was to add a qualifier for everything I am then it would take forever to just introduce myself (context dependent though).

1 person likes this.
  4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

That song, "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" is really fucking weird. If you look up the lyrics to the alternate live versions it is even weirder. I think I love this song. My new number one favorite song (not including some of my number one Blink 182 songs)

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I also didn't get the Decepticon behavior in the first movie, at first. I mean, there's a race of sentient machines far more advanced than us, and they really want this old pair of glasses that's for sale on ebay because it has the coordinates to the allspark. So I initially thought, well why don't they BIN the damn thing instead of blowing all this shit up?

But then I realized the answer - of course, Paypal won't confirm any accounts with a Cybertron billing address, duh! You guys probably all got that immediately, so sorry for being a little slow. But I'm proud for finally figuring it out, so I poasted

3 people like this.
  6. razl

razl Senior member

If, in this brave new world, one can legitimately (cough) hold a "gender identity" which has no relevance to one's physical sex with the social and legal expectations to be treated as such, can we not also hold a "racial identity" with no ties to race ("I feel black/asian/jewish"), a "professional identity" ("I feel like a Pilot/Architect/President"), an "acceptance identity" ("I feel like George Clooney/Brad Pitt/Jonathan Goldsmith") or an identity for any other aspect* we so choose, err, feel?

If not, why not? Rather, why is it that those who feel they were physically born sexually different than how they want to act get a monopoly on forcing the rest of us to accommodate their wishes? Surely, others have similar grievances along other lines; isn't it discriminatory to only provide these remedies to a single, narrow group?

(* I specifically chose some examples that weren't commonly seen as physically delineated but are likely driven by genes just as much as sex)

1 person likes this.
  7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Nobody is asking you to introduce yourself in any particular way, and it's silly to focus on that. Has anyone ever introduced himself to you by saying, "Hi, I'm Steve. I'm a CPA, I live in Brooklyn and I'm gay"?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

I feel like chicken tonight.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You should choke yourself.

1 person likes this.
  10. patrickBOOTH

Actually, yes. I was at a bar this one night and this man came up to me and said, "Hello, my name is Andrew, and yes, I am a real, live homosexual." I lol'ed. I see him around a lot actually.

11. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Not sure what are you trying to say? It's not ok for physical man to feel woman? Or it's not ok that we have to acknowledge?

12. razl

razl Senior member

I wasn't trying to say anything, I was asking; my biggest question being - either for the "it's ok for someone to feel" or "it's ok to force others to acknolwedge" crowds, why is it limited only to the sexual aspect? Isn't that discriminatory against others who "feel" differently than their genes define in ways other than just sex?

13. patrickBOOTH

In my honest opinion if you chose to feel a certain way you should have to live with the consequences of those feelings. If you can't handle that than maybe you will "feel" differently. I mean if something is out of ordinary, well fuck, why should everybody else have to bow down to you? Not all feelings are rational and justified.

14. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

When we reflect on how to deal with social problems, we tend for good reason to focus on problems that exist, not on problems that in some alternate universe might exist, and that would be analogous to problems that do exist in our universe. In the actual world we live in, there are people whose lives are rendered extraordinarily difficult by the fact that they experience themselves as female when they are biologically male or vice versa. The question at issue is, how do we deal with those people in a way that is just (or even merely decent), and that takes account of all the understanding we have available to us? That turns out to be a very hard question, and I don't have the answer. I do, however, know that the answer is not to treat them with mockery and condescension. That, at least, is not rocket science.

1 person likes this.
  15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

things I just don't get: how the humor can be ejected from this thread so quickly and so thoroughly.

4 people like this.
  16. patrickBOOTH

I don't understand why legally, like what bathroom they use, isn't based on just anatomy. That seems logical to me. Feelings don't come into the picture. Just their junk.

17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

How did you respond to obvious come-on?

Well, I could have used that clarification before we built ours. As it stands, I fear that by solving one problem we have created another (that of people sneaking into this bathroom to have sex in it)

18. patrickBOOTH

Snuck into the bathroom and had sex with him.

19. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

L'Incandescent: Well said, though I still don't see why I, as "normal" need to acknowledge I am "cis" except in a very limited context (transgender discussion forum?)

razl: it's question of where you draw the line I guess? I don't think analogy works well here, as we can come up with ever more ridiculous cases (I am human but feel alien from mars for example) and call everything extend to that ridiculous

patrickBOOTH: That's because we're not transgender. I mean if you're physical man and want to live your life just like woman for the rest of life, going to man's room will certainly be a problem for your image and how others look at you. I think we as a society (at least some of us) have decided that choose gender (how you feel as a particular) isn't something that's really "free well"

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Are you talking about your girlfriend's brother?