1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I'm addicted to charging my phone. I've had it for a year and have never run out of battery. I don't know why, but it'll be at 65% or something, and instead of just leaving the house with enough power to operate the phone for a week straight, I'll sit around and wait for it to charge to 90% before leaving. Then I'll come home four hours later with 86% of my battery left and immediately plug it in for precaution.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I just received an e-mail from one of my students addressed to a certain Dr. Lee (of which is not my name). How do you send an e-mail to a professor (or anyone for that matter) and not double check that you've addressed it correctly?

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It is probably retaliation by a student whose name you mispronounced on the first day of class.
    Burn!

3 people like this.
  4. L'Incandescent

Well then I might just "mistype" when I report the student's final grade at the end of the semester (typing a letter further into the alphabet of worse grade hehehe). Game, set, and match.

1 person likes this.
  5. RuffyD

RuffyD Senior member

Why do people give their shiba inus Japanese names?
    E.g. Tetsuya, Kenchi, Kuma, Kimiko, Toshiro etc.

6. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

:confused: because its a Japanese breed

1 person likes this.
  7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

here's a vexing one for me:

what is the purpose of those "Caution: Baby on Board" signs you see on vehicles? i don't get it.

is it a warning to other motorists not to smash into your car because your snot factory is aboard? because most people out there see a car with adults in it and are more likely to say, oh let me crush this one and take us all out in a fireball?

seems to me that the person who should care most about that baby is the one who doesn't need to see a sign to know that there's a baby on board.

i see quite a few of those cars with signs that are driven by the biggest dumbfuck on the road. perhaps people buy the "baby on board" sign as a plan B when the "please give me a lot of space - i'm a dumb shit-for-brains that doesn't know what the fuck he's doing" sign is sold out (or has too many words to fit in the rear window)

2 people like this.
  8. MrG

MrG Senior member

I read an article a while ago that tied those signs to the perceived entitlement among younger people today. Basically, the idea is that they're the generation where those signs first made their appearance, and the signs are a manifestation of the parental attitude of coddling and expecting others to yield to your child that has led young people thinking the world revolves around them.

Regardless, "Baby on Board" signs are stupid, and they're on the list of vehicle adornments that make it certain MrG is not going to let you in in traffic.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    3 people like this.
  9. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Those things were big in like the 90s . I am surprised to hear they are making a comeback . I remember a guy had a doll in a doll sized car seat strapped to his bumper

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

All I can say is I once almost ran my huge SUV into a tiny sub-compact but I noticed it had a one of those signs. Instead of running my huge SUV into the tiny car I turned myself into a collision with a cement truck instead.

2 people like this.
  11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

We live in a world where TV agents hunt out local news stories about murders and kidnappings that look like they could be juicy, contact the family, and get their cases on shows like Nancy Grace. And you want class and restraint?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  12. L'Incandescent

Watching Nancy Grace trial-by-fury types of shows is one thing. But if you're the kind of person who says "Wait no, don't turn the channel, the next segment's gonna have that call where William Shatner's wife dies and he's panicking!", then you are at a whole other level (or whole nother level, if you will). All I'm saying is that I can't get into the head of a person who thinks that way.

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Yeah, there are three kind of 'likes" that I don't get

Those people who like voyeuristic crime
    People who liked the Human Centipede
    And why women like candles so much

14. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Well when it's video of someone being murdered, my curiosity gets the best of me. I usually regret it before I even see it, but I can't help it. However, I don't want to see a decent guy like Shatner crying over his dying wife. That's too much for me.

Also, Human Centipede is a Disney movie compared to A Serbian Film. :uhoh:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

But how do you feel about your woman being genetically programmed to arson, just because the candle smoke smells yummy?

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Curiosity got the best of me back in high school when people were getting kidnapped by the taliban left and right and getting beheaded.

I saw the video of one of the guys getting beheaded and it totally fucked me up for a good couple of days.

It wasn't so much the visual (well, can't downplay the visual component at all, really), as it was the sounds of the guy choking on his own blood that really got to me. The initial scream from the pain to the progression of the gurgling from his choking on his own blood, and finally to the end where you can only hear the sound of air passing in and out of his trachea..

Ugh..

shudders.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  17. L'Incandescent

Luxury sneakers. I'm not trying to make a definitive aesthetic judgment about them; just saying I don't get it.

1 person likes this.
  18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Mrs. Piob is actually fairly meh about candles but I am quite the fire bug. No scent (ugh) but I like candle light.

19. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Just looked that up. Uhhh...:uhoh:

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Given the context no amount of money could make me Google "A Serbian Film."