• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am going for happy hour tonight at my usual Saturday boozey lunch place. I hope my change of schedule does not end time and space as we know it.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nope. Was a big bummer, and the fried chicken wasn't particularly good either. Great, you got the meat more tender and plentiful than KFC, but the taste isn't a particular step up and it's far more expensive. The best fried chicken I've ever had was at Manton's house.

also, the B-C people shafted us with like 5 espressos we didn't order on the bill. We complained, they said sorry, and then they gave us a new bill with 3 espressos on it. Would have really ruined the evening if the food was good.

The fried chicken is admittedly not that great, but I never ordered it that much. Sorry you didn't have a good experience :(

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
THey should rename it Buttermilk Chanel, and put stripper poles in.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Knowing me I would probably still have 3-5 that I go to 90% of the time. Once you get to the wrong side of 40 all you want is to be able to hear the person you're talking to and for the staff to treat you like the VIP you ******* well are.

I wanted that when I turned 23...

Gonna need some selective focus hearing aids to cut the noise but boost the nearby speech.

I never really liked loud bars/taverns with obnoxious music. I'm going to a place with chairs to sit and hang out, not to go clubbing. Unfortunately around here I have yet to find a place that matches the former description..

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've never liked "clubs" as they're too loud. However, I never expected to be treated like a boss until I actually was one. Now I tend to go where I'm known.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally agree on loud places. I feel like an old man complaining about it, but my days of enjoying being crammed into a place where you can't hear anyone talk and have to fight for a drink ended when college did.

Unfortunately, it is hard to find good places. I still haven't found a place I *love* in my neighborhood. A couple places looked promising, but then opened and turned into immediate shitshows.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
One of the best things about our new house is I have two of my very favorite places right by the house. Nothing better than having a watering hole a few minutes from the house where everyone knows your name. Even better if they're first rate joints.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Totally agree on loud places. I feel like an old man complaining about it, but my days of enjoying being crammed into a place where you can't hear anyone talk and have to fight for a drink ended when college did.

Unfortunately, it is hard to find good places. I still haven't found a place I *love* in my neighborhood. A couple places looked promising, but then opened and turned into immediate shitshows.

Cloverclub might not be too far.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cloverclub might not be too far.

Clover club isn't bad, but it is a bit far for frequent stops, and the couple of times I've been in there, it was pretty jammed.

I've pretty much given up on finding the perfect place--given the price of real estate, any place that wasn't crowded would have to charge an arm and a leg for drinks.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Knowing me I would probably still have 3-5 that I go to 90% of the time. Once you get to the wrong side of 40 all you want is to be able to hear the person you're talking to and for the staff to treat you like the VIP you ******* well are.

I wanted that when I turned 23...

Gonna need some selective focus hearing aids to cut the noise but boost the nearby speech.

I need those hearing aids. I can't hear **** if there's a lot of background noise. I blame Eric Clapton.

Very true, and Milk & Honey moved to 23rd street. :slayer:

Those motherfuckers had the nerve to shush me. I've never been shushed in a bar in my life. They are dead to me.

One of the best things about our new house is I have two of my very favorite places right by the house. Nothing better than having a watering hole a few minutes from the house where everyone knows your name. Even better if they're first rate joints.

+1

Our local put my wife's favorite drink on their cocktail menu, and the writer/slash/bartender named a character in one of his short stories after me. I took my older brother there and he was totally jealous that we have our own version of Cheers, except that it's a hip cocktail lounge within walking distance of our apartment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads